Website Issues

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Re: Website DNS is flaky at best

Post by ZXDunny »

PeterJ wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:58 pm
ZXDunny wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:55 pm Had a couple of issues yesterday where the page wouldn't load but also wouldn't stop loading, had to wait for the timeout and then refresh, whereupon it would load fine.
Was this the forums or the main site? If main site was it a specific page. Some game pages do contain a huge amount of content, some of which is taken from other sites.

There doesn't seem to be anything major going on, or I think lots would be mentioning issues. Just general internet stuff I guess
Main site seems fine, it's just forums. Mostly when clicking the "view latest unread post" icon.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Many moons ago (many) when I was with a different provider for internet and it would act up a lot, I ended up switching to opendns and never really had many issues after that.

This may or may not be something those who have issues want to try ?

Just a thought. I've not used it for maybe 4 or 5 years if not longer...

Code: Select all

https://use.opendns.com/
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

PeterJ wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:18 pm @RMartins,

I'm assuming by the radio silence all is OK. It's really useful to know if things are fixed.
Sorry, I have been busy.

But yes things are OK now. Hasn't failed again.
I said it was working in a previous message.

So I was saving for when it failed again to post something with details.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]RMartins[/mention] for the update,

I was asking as one of our members is still having issues. Keep me posted, good it bad.

Thanks
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Weird one. I have a bookmark for the forum: search.php?search_id=newposts which just brings up new posts since my last visit.

It froze during loading, just now, so I killed the page. Tried again with a new tab; no difference. Killed the page. Tried again... and again... etc. Until instead of killing the tab, I waited for Chrome to time out and then hit "Reload" on the error page. Then it worked fine.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

ZXDunny wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:01 pm Both your issues sound familiar. In many cases yesterday I would click a link to a post from the search results and the page would look fine, but no buttons or links would work - after a minute or so Chrome would ask if I want to kill the unresponsive page. Re-loading usually fixed it.

Other times, especially with the small icon next to a search result to jump to last-unread, the page would load nothing at all and just sit there spinning away for ages before erroring out. Clicking on the main topic link would always be fine, however. It's really strange.
In the last week or so I've been having the same issues using Chrome (Windows 10). Never had issues before.

It's hard to pin down, but it sometimes happens if I've been away from the page for a bit (Forums). I found clearing the site's cookies and closing/reopening the window sometimes fixed it but not always. Looks OK in incognito.

The issue has occurred pretty much every day, but it's one of those intermittent things that I haven't been able to pin down.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]Morkin[/mention],

There does seem to be a very intermittent issue, but as you say it's very hard to pin down these types of things.

If anyone has any ideas please PM me directly. Thanks.

Peter
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Morkin wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:50 am In the last week or so I've been having the same issues using Chrome (Windows 10). Never had issues before.

It's hard to pin down, but it sometimes happens if I've been away from the page for a bit (Forums). I found clearing the site's cookies and closing/reopening the window sometimes fixed it but not always. Looks OK in incognito.
Yep I've had a bit of this too.

Something that has worked every time is to come via the 'forums' button on the Spectrumcomputing.co.uk front page. Obvs we shouldn't have to do that, but it's a reliable way to do it while we work out what's going on.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:46 pm Something that has worked every time is to come via the 'forums' button on the Spectrumcomputing.co.uk front page. Obvs we shouldn't have to do that, but it's a reliable way to do it while we work out what's going on.
Unfortunately getting to the forums via the 'Forums' button on the home page still triggers the issue for me (intermittently again unfortunately).

I've just switched to a different web browser for now.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I did some reading up last night and apparently a common cause of intermittent issues are extensions.

Therefore I have temporarily disabled some recently added ones. These are Smartfeed and Dark mode.

With these sorts of issues it's often a guessing game!
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:42 am I did some reading up last night and apparently a common cause of intermittent issues are extensions.

Therefore I have temporarily disabled some recently added ones. These are Smartfeed and Dark mode.
Which date and at what time have you disabled these extensions?

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer being good this year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]1024MAK[/mention],

About two minutes before I posted.

Peter
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Well I don't want to jinx it, but I haven't had any issues (using Chrome) at all today...

...Now, nobody disturb the site chuntey..!
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Online now, but it was down since 9 PM
roganjosh
Drutt

Post by roganjosh »

If it gives any clue then on my system (W10, Edge browser), more often than not, on first accessing the forums URL, I eventually get the Page Not responding alert box. If I select "Exit page" from the box, go into devtools using CTRL+Shift+I, right click on the page refresh icon and select "Empty cache and hard reload" then everything works OK.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]roganjosh[/mention],

I have now seen that behaviour on Chrome Desktop on Windows, but never on Firefox Windows Desktop or Chrome on Android. The issue is not happening every time though.

Just got to find out what's causing it. Any suggestions, please PM me because I'm out of ideas. Thanks

I think we have enough reports of this now, but if you see different behaviour and you can document the steps to reproduce it, please post here.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Frozen Site

Post by Joefish »

Lately when I access the site, if I use a link that takes me direct to the forum, the page comes up but is frozen. None of the links respond to a mouse-over or a click and the page seems to be permanently busy doing something.
However, if I arrive at the main spectrumcomputing.co.uk title page, then click through to the Forums, everything works fine. Is it some auxiliary / script / style file that's being held up, but works if it's already cached?
And before anyone asks, yes, I have deleted cookies and logged in again.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Re: Frozen Site

Post by Joefish »

May have fixed this - I noticed the bookmarked URL I was using as a link to the forums included a 'session ID' as part of the URL. I edited and removed this so the link is just to spectrumcomputing.co.uk/forums/ and - so far - it seems to work OK.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

I've been having this problem for a week or so; and I don't use a link of that kind.

Doesn't seem to happen on Edge, but the forum frequently seizes up Chrome.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
namco
Manic Miner

Post by namco »

Same here. Chrome is the one with the problem. Firefox works fine (how I'm typing this now).

[edit]:
I was coming in from Chrome's frequently used shortcuts straight to the site. The site freezes when there is no forward slash. However, I've just changed the shortcut to add the forward slash and it's working fine now(?). Caching issue?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Website Issues

Post by PeterJ »

I have merged these two threads together. We don't know yet what's causing the issues.

What we need is 'every time I do A&B, Y&Z happens. When using C Web browser, on D OS' and for people to be able to replicate it.

These intermittent issues are a pain to resolve.

We are a few updates behind on phpBB so when I have time I will do an update. I have already disabled any recently added extensions.

The freezing is only happening on the forum, not the main site.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Often I can't get in the site at all. Sometimes the front screen loads but I can't long in, or click on anything. It's like I'm looking at a picture of the forum home page.

Just to let you know.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

If you are adding to this please include browser and OS. Also try on other browsers and report if issues continue.

I occasionally see the issue on Chrome running on Windows, but never on Chrome for Android.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Yep, happening again today on Chrome under Windows 10, using a /forums/ bookmark.
Again, works fine if I go to the main page first, then click FORUMS. I'll change the bookmark to the home page and try that a few times.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks for the report [mention]Joefish[/mention], I will try that too

Please could you try on Edge or Firefox? I'm trying to ascertain if it's a Chrome only issue.

I've only had issues on Chrome Desktop W11.

Thanks