Rod Bowkett and Steve Crow

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
ZXnibbs
Drutt

Rod Bowkett and Steve Crow

Post by ZXnibbs »

Rod Bowkett, author of two of my back-in-the-day favourite Spectrum platformers Dynamite Dan I & II. First game I found really difficult but very slick for the time, with fantastic audio and graphics.

ImageImage

The 2nd game being a little more accessible for me and with tons of music. Brilliant. Think I managed to get to the 3rd or 4th Island in the end.

ImageImage

Does anyone know anything more about Rob, how he go into the Industry and what he did next? I cannot seem to find online anything really about him. So far only this from YS №01 (Jan1986).

Was hoping perhaps RetroGamer had covered him in an issue, but cannot find info on either :| Like another hero of mine, Steve Crow I'd love to know some more.
© 1973 The Nev
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Re: Rod Bowkett and Steve Crow

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Just to chip in quickly with the little I know -

Rod Bowkett did the two Dynamite Dan games as an aside to his work as a (math teacher|| musician) - I don't recall which exactly, then left gaming - a waste in my opinion, clear talent from the off - but as long as he is happy..

Last thing I knew Steve Crow worked for Blizzard (yes - ActiBlizz) as an artist of some sort, possibly on WOW.

I'm sure someone can expand on this?
jdanddiet
Manic Miner

Post by jdanddiet »

Issue 62 of Retro Gamer had a making of on Dynamite Dan 1 and 2. Lots of info there.
bucephalus
Drutt

Post by bucephalus »

I've extracted the 6 pages from that issue and saved them as a PDF (under 1mb), uploaded below.

I hope that's OK to do - if not, please delete.

https://file.io/teFuMwhCRsvq
cherkasy
Drutt

Post by cherkasy »

I know some links about Rod Bowkett. Yesterday I emailed him and gave him a link to this post.

He replied to me a couple of hours ago: "Lovely to hear that 40 years later my games are still played."

Hint about the answer - he's a composer. Maybe he will write himself.
ZXnibbs
Drutt

Post by ZXnibbs »

Wow.. thanks for the replies, and that link to the RG article! As always a cool writeup. Amazing to hear Rod's doing ok too :geek:
© 1973 The Nev
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Good to know he's still 'about' as such.

I'll try to take a look at the interview in RetroGamer at some point too.

I did always wonder if he did do any other software (ZX or otherwise) 'back then' perhaps under a different name, as to write a 'first' such as Dynamite Dan and its sequel is amazing.

Still, if he did or did not write other stuff, that's entirely up to him and no one else's business. :D Otherwise we'd of heard by now no doubt if it we should of.
zeusdaz
Drutt

Post by zeusdaz »

cherkasy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:00 pm I know some links about Rod Bowkett. Yesterday I emailed him and gave him a link to this post.

He replied to me a couple of hours ago: "Lovely to hear that 40 years later my games are still played."

Hint about the answer - he's a composer. Maybe he will write himself.
How did you get his email?
Anyway, how about asking him if he could briefly come out of retirement and finish off Dynamite Dan II for the fans by including Blitzen's Lab on Island 8! :)
merman
Microbot

Post by merman »

Steve Crow was interviewed in issue 72 of Retro Gamer.

Short version - went to the US, worked with Shiny, ended up at Blizzard working on World of Warcraft.

https://www.mobygames.com/developer/she ... erId,1896/
zeusdaz
Drutt

Post by zeusdaz »

merman wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:28 pm Steve Crow was interviewed in issue 72 of Retro Gamer.

Short version - went to the US, worked with Shiny, ended up at Blizzard working on World of Warcraft.

https://www.mobygames.com/developer/she ... erId,1896/
No sorry, I meant how did he get Rod's email? He needs to finish the DDII game for the fans by implimenting Blitzen's lab into the game :-)
cherkasy
Drutt

Post by cherkasy »

I just got a reply from Rod Bowkett to

"come out of retirement so he can finish his Dynamite Dan II game for the fans by putting in place Blitzen's lab on island 8"

Sorry to disappoint but I don’t think it will happen I’m afraid, at least not in this lifetime.
So many other interesting challenges still left to attempt and only a handful of years left to attempt them in.

Ever onwards! Ever upwards!

PS. I sold the only (tea stained dot-matrix printout) copy of the source code on eBay some years ago but before I sent it off I marked the jump address to link to an ending. Maybe some Z80 hex head will do the job for me one day. I do hope so.