The best Speccy game by Kayde Software: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Poll ended at Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:44 am

Ace In The H.O.L.E.
No votes
Horror Atoll
No votes
Leopard Lord
No votes
Terror From The Deep
71%
Valley, The
29%

Total votes: 7

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Right, the final software house to be mentioned in that first issue of Crash. Moving onto something else for the next poll, so for the next seven days, you can pick your favourite out of these five tangible ZX Spectrum games from Kayde...

Ace In The H.O.L.E.

Horror Atoll

Leopard Lord

Terror From The Deep

Valley, The
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: The best Speccy game by Kayde Software: vote

Post by Morkin »

I remember getting excited about The Valley after reading about it in the Spectrum Adventures book.

I was fairly disappointed when I eventually got to play it, but I quite liked the odd dungeon hack back them.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

1 Terror From The Deep
2 Horror Atoll
3 Ace In The H.O.L.E.

Terror From The Deep is OK, Horror Atoll is below average and Ace In The H.O.L.E is the best of what's left.
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

1. Terror From The Deep
2. Horror Atoll
3. Leopard Lord

Terror From The Deep is easily the best of the bunch, Horror Atoll suffers from too many sudden deaths, the rest of them are quite poor - especially when compared to the text adventures that Artic released, which were just as basic but more user friendly.

The version of The Valley that Kayde released is so poor when compared to the Argus Press original that you would be forgiven that Kayde's was released first and that Argus released an improved version.
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

Terror from the deep. It was the only one I had played from these, so I voted for it.
Alex
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Annoyingly we don't have the name of who wrote all these generic text adventures.

Given how identical they all look, I guess it would be possible to re-engineer the MIA title, Arcane Quest, which exists in C64 form.

People forget how expensive the early titles were... these are being flogged for £10 each!
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Agree, shame there's no author attribution, could not see anything anyway from a cursory glance at the Basic in Terror/Deep.

Voted. I'd never heard of this "house" before either!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Terror From The Deep has got this, with 5 votes.

In second place, is The Valley, with 2 votes.

Proportional voting results? Here they are!

Terror From The Deep 6
Horror Atoll 4
Ace In The H.O.L.E. 1
Leopard Lord 1

And that concludes all the software labels mentioned in the first issue of Crash. Now onto the final issue of Sinclair User...
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!