New versions of Snake game - very colorful)

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Weiv
Microbot

New versions of Snake game - very colorful)

Post by Weiv »

Hello everyone. Check out (ICIYMI) a very small version of Snake game by Firestarter from zx-pk.ru - original code has 93 bytes length, and my editions of the game - Rainbow Python(s) :) My versions are more classic and playable (I hope :) at least it was my goal).

http://zx-pk.ru/attachment.php?attachme ... 1523786772

ImageImageImageImage
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: New versions of Snake game - very colorful)

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Hello there!

Our hovercraft is already full of snakes. :D

How’s Spectramine development going?
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Weiv
Microbot

Post by Weiv »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:33 pm Hello there!

Our hovercraft is already full of snakes. :D

How’s Spectramine development going?
Oops, sorry :)
The development is proceeding quietly :) Now I work on accurate emulation of visual ULA's bugs of original Spectrums 48/128 - four brightness gradations and flash edges, on whiсh I was pointed by Pegaz there: https://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/ ... ent_922799 .
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Great. How about the snow effect? I don’t think I’ve seen an emulator that mimics it exactly yet. Not that it’s the most useful feature, but it would be nice to have it for completeness.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
Weiv
Microbot

Post by Weiv »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:31 pm Great. How about the snow effect? I don’t think I’ve seen an emulator that mimics it exactly yet. Not that it’s the most useful feature, but it would be nice to have it for completeness.
Hmmm, I emulated already the snow effect in last version of Spectramine. I think it's the most exact emulation of the effect. I digged it very scrupulously, thanks to Brendan Alford's videos of my snow effect tests.

If you found some inaccuracies of the snow effect emulation, please, let me know.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

You’re quite right. I forgot I had a newer version—1.0.4b—already. Yes, the snow effect is there. I’ll test it against my Toast Rack some time later.

By the way, since you’re trying to replicate some video-related idiosyncrasies of the Spectrum, you might find this interesting (unless you’re already aware of the effect). It only applies to 16/48K Spectrums: https://youtu.be/KKFOxLqHl1s?t=4m30s

Weiv
Microbot

Post by Weiv »

Thanks, it's interesting. I'll try to use it.
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

That is some nice minimalist coding magic 8-)
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Cool! This snakey multicolour technique reminds me of 53c graphics : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=599&p=8485#p8485
Have you tried the game with a CRT TV to see if fake colours look like real ?
Weiv
Microbot

Post by Weiv »

No, I don't have a real Spectrum (well, I have a clone, Orel BK-08, but as a nostalgy item, even without a power supply).
Weiv
Microbot

Post by Weiv »

I corrected 3 little bugs, so control is even more responsive now : http://zx-pk.ru/attachment.php?attachme ... 1523918827
Weiv
Microbot

Post by Weiv »

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Weiv wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:53 pm Very last versions: http://zx-pk.ru/attachment.php?attachme ... 1523991090
Cheers, the current update has the older versions, but the following one will have some corrections and all the versions.

Can I clarify that the game is called "Snake" (not "Python")?
Weiv
Microbot

Post by Weiv »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:35 pm Can I clarify that the game is called "Snake" (not "Python")?
The original game from Firestarter is called "Snake", but I called my editions of the game as "Python" (even as Rainbow Pythons :) ), because 1) game mechanics is different from Firestarter's original; 2) my second edition also has noticeably different appearance. But as my game code is not fully original, I leave it to your discretion.