Doner Kebab (previously unknown)

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Doner Kebab (previously unknown)

Post by Alessandro »

Previously unknown game:

Image Image

Download: http://disegnareconlaluce.altervista.org/DonerKebab.zip (TAP file provided by Sergio Llata Pena)

Source:
spider
Dynamite Dan

Re: Doner Kebab (previously unknown)

Post by spider »

Thanks. :)

This is 'Tapper' or very much based on it from the screenshot and a cursory play shows it is, minus the "bonus" level. Some of the 'customer' sprites are the same too.

The in-game music (128K) is nice.

Its an interesting variation on the original I like it. :mrgreen:
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Are there… many Spectrum games on Spotify?! 🤯

I can only imagine the “my ears are literally bleeding” crowd that loved the Pringles promo last week are gonna love this when it turns up on Discover Weekly! 🙉😚🎶

[edit] Oh, I see. It's a bonus track on an EP. Very cool!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

spider wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:21 pm This is 'Tapper' or very much based on it from the screenshot and a cursory play shows it is, minus the "bonus" level. Some of the 'customer' sprites are the same too.
Yes, and from level 6 on you can even spot the barman from the original Tapper among the customers.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Nice, funny game.

Is it a hack of Tapper or an original code?
Is it something from the 80s or something new?
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

It looks like it reuses Tapper's code in fact. The album on Spotify is dated 2013.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Alessandro wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:05 pm Yes, and from level 6 on you can even spot the barman from the original Tapper among the customers.
Hehe. :) Well to be fair after him serving all those customers over the years, he deserves a well earned break :mrgreen:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Interesting. I'm surprised this wasn't noticed back in 2013. The scene was less spread out then, and with Utopian as the coder it would have been a big deal on the Spanish scene at the very least.

Is the other author this Javier Moreno?
Alessandro wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:18 pm It looks like it reuses Tapper's code in fact. The album on Spotify is dated 2013.
Which bits of code are you referring to Ale? After looking at it in ZX-Blockeditor, and a quick look in the debugger, I can't see any similarities. the graphics are in a different place, it's got AY, and BeepFX has been used (therefore can anyone say if it's a Churrera or not?). I see there's the EP on spotify that I'll need to investigate, but this isn't a mod is it?

Whatever the backstory - it plays well, looks good, and it's nice to play a Tapper game with a fresh feel and no winceworthy beep music.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Well now we know where to go after the Tapper pub closes.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

@R-Tape : Well I was just speculating to be honest, I hadn't the time to check the code in a monitor/debugger but you beat me to it :)

On the other hand, I am pretty sure the game was not made with an engine like MK1/MK2, such titles feature completely different patterns for game presentation, sprite visualization and motion etc.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong...

The first levels end very quickly.
But 4th level (and sometimes 3rd level) may go forever for me.
Anybody experienced it as well?
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Its I suspect strongly similar in that respect to Tapper, if you're slow more customers will appear although the higher levels they appear more often and the randomness of new appearances increases too. :)

I've not tried it that far though I will now you've said that. I'm assuming you've tried Tapper though ? :)
utopian
Drutt

Post by utopian »

Hi all,

Wow, I didn't know the game was in Spotify :D. It's been a long time since I worked in the game. Some quick facts:

- It is not a Tapper hack, I coded the game. There is a "very obvious" inspiration, and we used the same placement for all lanes, similar sprite sizes and that, but the code part was done from scratch.

- Gfx and music are done by Jairo Moreno, who is part of the "Cobra Laser" group. The game was meant to be part of the album from the beginning (originally released in vinyl), and Jairo contacted me to code it. It was a kind of "contract work" :). We finished it in January 2013.

- Once the game was finished, I could not show it because we had to wait until the EP was launched. I ended up losing contact with Jairo and well... The rest is history :).

I hope you enjoy it!
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

utopian wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:16 pm I hope you enjoy it!
I did :) And I'm going to have another go soon too.

Its always nice to hear from the author too.
Stu
Manic Miner

Post by Stu »

flatduckrecords wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:49 pm Are there… many Spectrum games on Spotify?! 🤯
Does this count? :D

The other Cobra Laser album on Spotify has a loadable track on it although I’m not near my computer to properly check it out. I previously posted about another program I found on Spotify (“PRINT ‘Hola’” by Z80).
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

Had a little go just now, good fun! Always liked Tapper.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I now want to see a version of Cobra but with frickin' Laser beams... :lol: