Due to unusually high levels of website traffic you will be presenting with regular Cloudflare checks for the time being.

Did this actually exist?

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
RoseTintedSpectrum
Dizzy

Did this actually exist?

Post by RoseTintedSpectrum »

Hi folks, couldn't find anywhere else to post this so thought this would be the best place for it.

I was talking to a guy on a random Facebook Spectrum group a few weeks back, and for the life of me I can't find the conversation now, but he brought something up I've never heard of before and with a huge amount of searching, I can't find anything about it, so I thought I'd check here.

He said with a fair bit of authority that one of the big publishing houses back on the day set up a short-lived campaign that was called something along the lines of: "The Dream Catchers" or "The Dream Weavers" (definitely something with Dream in the title). They had the idea of essentially hiring children to sell their games in playgrounds in order to beat piracy, and he went on to say that this company advertised the endeavor in Spectrum magazines.

I'd love to dig into the concept more, and find out what happened, but I'm also not even sure if the entire thing is complete hokum or not. Has anyone heard of this? Come across the adverts? Am I chasing a wild goose?

Thanks in advance!
Gooeyblob
Drutt

Re: Did this actually exist?

Post by Gooeyblob »

You sure this wasn't a dream...
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Maybe check your emails you might have one that reminds you of their username** ? Figuring here that you may have chosen to get emails.

** Realise it does not tend to put the message content in the email, but the group name and username might be enough for you to recall, maybe. Then at least you'd know the group to ask in if anyone knows.

Just a random thought.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

We had this in my school, except for weed.
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

RoseTintedSpectrum wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:09 pm I was talking to a guy on a random Facebook Spectrum group a few weeks back, and for the life of me I can't find the conversation now, but he brought something up I've never heard of before and with a huge amount of searching, I can't find anything about it, so I thought I'd check here.

He said with a fair bit of authority that one of the big publishing houses back on the day set up a short-lived campaign that was called something along the lines of: "The Dream Catchers" or "The Dream Weavers" (definitely something with Dream in the title). They had the idea of essentially hiring children to sell their games in playgrounds in order to beat piracy, and he went on to say that this company advertised the endeavor in Spectrum magazines.
You’re definitely not imagining that post as I read it too and it piqued my interest at the time — but I can’t remember now which FB group it was on.

Pretty sure he called it “The Dream Catchers” and I *think* he said it was by CRL. I Googled at the time but don’t recall finding anything convincing, and then I guess I lost interest and forgot about it until now.
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

And having just Googled afresh I wonder if it might be related to this, and that the OG FB poster got his wires/memories crossed? The Dream Makers/CRL: https://www.thespectrumshow.net/crl.html
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro
RoseTintedSpectrum
Dizzy

spider wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:55 am Maybe check your emails you might have one that reminds you of their username** ? Figuring here that you may have chosen to get emails.

** Realise it does not tend to put the message content in the email, but the group name and username might be enough for you to recall, maybe. Then at least you'd know the group to ask in if anyone knows.

Just a random thought.
I think I've got my FB emails switched off because it peppers them at me like a machinegun, and I barely even use the thing!
RoseTintedSpectrum
Dizzy

5MinuteRetro wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:05 pm
RoseTintedSpectrum wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:09 pm I was talking to a guy on a random Facebook Spectrum group a few weeks back, and for the life of me I can't find the conversation now, but he brought something up I've never heard of before and with a huge amount of searching, I can't find anything about it, so I thought I'd check here.

You’re definitely not imagining that post as I read it too and it piqued my interest at the time — but I can’t remember now which FB group it was on.

Pretty sure he called it “The Dream Catchers” and I *think* he said it was by CRL. I Googled at the time but don’t recall finding anything convincing, and then I guess I lost interest and forgot about it until now.
Yes! That was it, it piqued my interest because I'd just been writing something in relation to CRL. Hmm... Might have to do more digging.
RoseTintedSpectrum
Dizzy

5MinuteRetro wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:11 pm And having just Googled afresh I wonder if it might be related to this, and that the OG FB poster got his wires/memories crossed? The Dream Makers/CRL: https://www.thespectrumshow.net/crl.html
Oh god, I've found it! It IS real!

8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Yep...

8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
RoseTintedSpectrum
Dizzy

8BitAG wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:16 pm Yep...

Hahahaha, I just came across the first one of these myself. Honestly, these are the kind of stories that I live for. What an insane idea.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

RoseTintedSpectrum wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:30 pm What an insane idea.
It's just Tupperware parties for the playground. :)
RoseTintedSpectrum
Dizzy

8BitAG wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:37 pm
RoseTintedSpectrum wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:30 pm What an insane idea.
It's just Tupperware parties for the playground. :)
Pretty much! I'm intrigued now though, I need to know more, I've got in touch with Clem Chambers to see if he'd be willing to answer a few questions.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Ironically the kids selling the games would've probably been earning more per sale than the programmers who wrote them!
RoseTintedSpectrum
Dizzy

8BitAG wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:40 pm Ironically the kids selling the games would've probably been earning more per sale than the programmers who wrote them!
I didn't even think of that!!
Van_Dammesque
Manic Miner

Post by Van_Dammesque »

I'd imagine that the scheme wouldn't last long. simply buy a CRL game (even a few mates club together to buy it) then copy the hell out of it, then either give it away for free at a, say, pound less than the game being sold! :lol:
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Fascinating.

I think this was a clever idea and I applaud the innovation. I fail to see the ethical problem with it, certainly not to the extent that police were called! Kids can have paper rounds, make money from babysitting etc. And parental permission was obviously needed.

It's not exactly "child labour" is it? It's basically just promotion. I wonder if someone would call the police if they saw a child sharing a game promo with his mates on Facebook?
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
71owl
Dizzy

Post by 71owl »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:06 pm Image
I remember going into a computer shop and buying Jack The Ripper. I'd have been about 15 at the time (and looked about 10). The lady behind the counter didn't bat an eyelid, asked no questions and I left with the game!
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

71owl wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:43 pm I remember going into a computer shop and buying Jack The Ripper. I'd have been about 15 at the time (and looked about 10). The lady behind the counter didn't bat an eyelid, asked no questions and I left with the game!
And now we live in a time when there's even more complacency toward this issue. Google makes no attempt to offer age ratings for YouTube videos, and there seems to be no public pressure (or even interest) in protecting minors from bad language. Magazines aimed at 7-year-olds now promote (on the front cover) obscene adult acts full of cussing. I simply can't understand how things got this way or why no one cares.