New Game: OPZ

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
R-Tape
Site Admin

New Game: OPZ

Post by R-Tape »

Here's my effort for the Speccy's 36th Birthday.

ImageImage

OPZ

I present a 100% original idea - a platform game in which you go around collecting things then go to the exit. It's authored with P.G.D, has 6 levels, and infinite lives. It's not easy, but it's short.

If it helps my case it took me 6 hours yesterday :mrgreen: (every idea I tried before this had something novel that I wanted to explore further and not rush).

The keys are O-left, P-Right, Z - Jump and H-Pause

Download English version.
Download Russian version.*

*[mention]michellekg[/mention], I know you offered help with translation, I didn't have time to ask and wanted to release today. I will be in touch for my next 'proper' project. You can laugh at my rubbish Russian! I can correct any mistakes later.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Re: New Game: OPZ

Post by MatGubbins »

Very good indeed, that last level is a bugger, jump,jump and finally got to the safe spot and completed. Oh... stack of reds and spikes..just like real life.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Oh, those are cassettes. I get it . . .

Also, I’m offended by the main character. I may be losing my hair, but I’m not fat. In fact, I’m pretty fit. And my name is not Norman.

Oh, and I could never get the hang of the O, P, etc. controls.

:D
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

MatGubbins wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:56 pm Very good indeed, that last level is a bugger, jump,jump and finally got to the safe spot and completed. Oh... stack of reds and spikes..just like real life.
Already?! Far too easy then.

Cheers.
Ast A. Moore wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:24 pm Oh, those are cassettes. I get it . . .

Also, I’m offended by the main character. I may be losing my hair, but I’m not fat. In fact, I’m pretty fit. And my name is not Norman.
Likewise!
Ast A. Moore wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:24 pm Oh, and I could never get the hang of the O, P, etc. controls.

:D
I will put Joystick and Redefine keys in all my 'proper' releases, in this case I ran out of time and energy.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:38 pm I ran out of time and energy.
Say no to carbs. Fats and proteins is where it’s at. ;)

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

I can now complete the game without snapshots at certain points in the level. Cocks on the table is the hardest screen (oo-er!) but I think that is down to the collision detection within the PGD system. It kept me quiet for an hour or so...

Is Norman a drunk? O'P?s? head
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

MatGubbins wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:10 pm Cocks on the table . . .
:shock: There might be children reading this thread.

MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:23 pm
MatGubbins wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:10 pm Cocks on the table . . .
:shock: There might be children reading this thread.
And some chickens....
Oohh.. the Russian version is great too.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:24 pm Oh, and I could never get the hang of the O, P, etc. controls.
It's just for interest as I normally would include a redefine option but what keys do people choose for a 3 button game?

(It may come as a surprise that I favour OPZ.)
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:38 am
It's just for interest as I normally would include a redefine option but what keys do people choose for a 3 button game?

(It may come as a surprise that I favour OPZ.)
My story is as simple as it is bizarre. I didn’t have a joystick until much later, but discovered that when I selected the Sinclair joystick option, the controls mapped to keys 6 through 0. So I learned those. To this day, if there’s an option to redefine controls in modern games on modern platforms, I map them to 6, 7, 8, 9, and 0.

As you can guess, the QAOP paradigm is completely alien to me, because it effectively swaps the up/down and left/right controls.

Oh, and, yes, I didn’t play many “popular” games, because they didn’t have a redefine keys option. I generally ignored them (still do).

Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Here you go Dave, thanks for the game ;)

https://planetasinclair.blogspot.pt/2018/04/opz.html
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Short but sweet.
It could be interesting that losing a few lives forced the player to repeat the previous level, so infy lives but at the cost of having to jump thoughtfully, the game would last longer too.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

A very nice plattform. I like it!

Enjoyable... till I reach second screen. It get on my nerves! :x
michellekg
Drutt

Post by michellekg »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:58 am *@michellekg, I know you offered help with translation, I didn't have time to ask and wanted to release today. I will be in touch for my next 'proper' project. You can laugh at my rubbish Russian! I can correct any mistakes later.
No problemo, Dave! You can count on me on future releases or this one. Just sent you PM.