Locked In!

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Locked In!

Post by Andre Leao »

R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Locked In!

Post by R-Tape »

Nice. It's good that it's linear, because it might mean I stand half a chance. Mind you, I'm stuck in room 3...

(Added to the DB queue)
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

I'm stuck in Room 2!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

smurphboy wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:41 pm I'm stuck in Room 2!
This is a funny one. Not sure if it's a bug or a 'look again' thing. Here's a solution:
Spoiler
EXAM WALLS
EXAM WALLPAPER
EXAM WALLPAPER
I'm on the final room, and there have been some great puzzles along the way. Quite a few times though, I've been a bit irked by having to word things a particular way. But that's how I feel about every text adventure!
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

Grumble grumble.... state machines... grumble...

Thanks - I got there
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

This is doing my nut in. I'm so close, but I'm not sure if I need to play 'guess the verb', or I'm thinking along the wrong lines. Has anyone completed it, if so can they help with this:
Spoiler
Room 11. I know the order of the doors I've unlocked. I assume I need to "SAY" or "RECITE" them in order, but nothing I've tried has worked so far. What verb? With spaces? As Speccy INK numbers? (hence the 'no need to spell' clue).
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Stuck on room 4 all day! I have the
Spoiler
painting, and the boat name, and the sailor names, and the missing hand knocks back on the cyan door at me,
but can't make the connection. Spoil me.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Mpk wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:53 pm Stuck on room 4 all day! I have the
Spoiler
painting, and the boat name, and the sailor names, and the missing hand knocks back on the cyan door at me,
but can't make the connection. Spoil me.
Spoiler
Say the name of the sailer who has the missing hand
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

stupidget wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:23 pm
Spoiler
Say the name of the sailer who has the missing hand
That's it!? Oooh, I'm so mad I could crush a grape.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

I'm stuck in room 8. I'm assuming there's some sort of anagram I need to work out?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

stupidget wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:56 am I'm stuck in room 8. I'm assuming there's some sort of anagram I need to work out?
Clue
Spoiler
Nope it's in the sum. Imagine you've done it on a calculator.
Bigger clue
Spoiler
I had to cheat and google the number.
And I'm still stuck on bloody level 11!!!!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I’m just going to weigh in with this: it’s very amusing to read the spoilers when you have no idea what the game is about. :D
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

Ok - Room 5 - what am I missing?
Spoiler
I've got the Visor, Suit and Gloves on, I've got the Hanger but I can't get the Ball but can't work out what I need to say to use the hanger to get it!!!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Horrible one this:
Spoiler
STRAIGHTEN
I think there should be more possible words for this action. Full disclosure - I only got it by peeking at the code, but I'm still stuck on level 11 and I still don't feel like I cheated!

@8BitAG I see the version on CASA is called 'fix'. Is there a bugged version out there? And have you completed it? I really can't see what I'm missing for level 11.

I've really enjoyed this game, but a general comment:
Spoiler
RRrgrrghghghgrhrgrhgrhrARRGHHHH!
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

I think there should be more possible words for this action.
Oh I agree. I've resisted looking at the code, I'm hoping the strings are encoded in some way so I feel bad when I do peek at the code.

Thanks, got out of Room 5 now!
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Room 11 has me completely stumped. Loving this game so far but I can’t for the life of me understand how I can reach the black book. :evil: :evil: :evil:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

smurphboy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:20 pm I've resisted looking at the code, I'm hoping the strings are encoded in some way so I feel bad when I do peek at the code.

Thanks, got out of Room 5 now!
Yep the strings are hidden so you can't read it in a debugger or blockeditor.
Spoiler
The text is stored with the bytes flipped, so if you know assembly you need to grab it and flip them with CPL. I'm not cheating though :mrgreen: Anyway, I still can't bloody complete it!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

stupidget wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:31 pm Room 11 has me completely stumped. Loving this game so far but I can’t for the life of me understand how I can reach the black book. :evil: :evil: :evil:
That's room 9. I'm afraid I can't help you there - I have passed it, but I can't remember how I did it. I got a bit frenzied with typing various possibilities, probably repeating myself over and over, and all of a sudden some text whizzed by and the book was in reach and I had to climb down.

I can't repeat it. I've tried every version of STEP, CLIMB, STEP ON, STAND ON, ASCEND without luck. I'm clinging on to my snapshot of the later levels for dear life!
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

stupidget wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:31 pm Room 11 has me completely stumped. Loving this game so far but I can’t for the life of me understand how I can reach the black book. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Same!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

That's room 9. There's plenty more suffering still ahead!
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

Room 9 - it got annoyed when I put the Red Books back!
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

R-Tape wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:15 pm @8BitAG I see the version on CASA is called 'fix'. Is there a bugged version out there? And have you completed it? I really can't see what I'm missing for level 11.
It's only called a "fix" on CASA as that's the only category that game files can be uploaded under. CASA doesn't usually host new game files, but Jacob made an exception for Simon's games in the past so that's what I uploaded the file as. (Simon had submitted the game months ago).

The game is completable as is... but it is the author's first game using PAW and it could do with quite a lot of additional synonyms etc. It's also programmed in a very Quill way that bypasses a lot of the PAW QOL functionality.

The last room (level 11) is probably the easiest... but it might involve you replaying if you've not made a note of the doors. It's PAW so you need to enter the sequence in two blocks of five characters.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

8BitAG wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:17 pm The last room (level 11) is probably the easiest... but it might involve you replaying if you've not made a note of the doors. It's PAW so you need to enter the sequence in two blocks of five characters.
I've just completed it, thanks to your 5 letters tip. I can't believe the game expects the player to know that. I'll not sleep tonight :shock:
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

R-Tape wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:42 pm That's room 9. There's plenty more suffering still ahead!
Is the whole 'Book Worm' thing in Room 9 a clue at all? It should be Bookworm, all one word.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

stupidget wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:45 pm Is the whole 'Book Worm' thing in Room 9 a clue at all? It should be Bookworm, all one word.
Nope. Or at least I don't think so (I still can't replicate what I did!).