Dr. Jim's Amazing Adventures in other 8-bit lands

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Dr. Jim's Amazing Adventures in other 8-bit lands

Post by TMD2003 »

Over on the 2022 CSSCGC thread, @uglifruit said of my latest entry...
uglifruit wrote:The QL version of illuminati (and I’ve played ’em all) is the one to go for. At least until the Sam Coupe, or Next version come along.
And I said...
TMD2003 wrote:Erm... about that. There is a fourth version of Illuminati that is 98% done, and I just need to tidy up the title screen. I was waiting for this review to be published so that I could reveal it. As it turns out, the problems with the title screen are proving very tricky to solve, and it's nothing to do with the screen itself.

I'll reveal it soon enough. But I don't think you're going to like it!
It's time to reveal the fourth instalment of what I'm now calling The Illuminati Project...

Image Image

...the VIC-20 version.

You may ask "why did you do that?" After all, it would have been a lot easier to convert the game for the Amstrad CPC, the MSX, or even the Enterprise that @Sparky might still want - they're all Z80-based computers and the machine code should work on those with only minimal changes to where the input and output addresses are. But do I ever make it easy for myself? Oh no.

But it's not about that. This might be taken as a terrible confession, but I've developed something of a strange fondness for the VIC-20, despite the 40th birthday celebrations of the computer I've owned a derivative of for 34 years. In a parallel universe, someone at RHM Computing in late 1983 said "Hey, Peter, I hear you were looking for a cheap computer for your son? Well, mine's just upgraded to a Commodore 64 and I've got a VIC-20 going spare, and I'll ask a reasonable price for it. It's even got a 16K expansion cartridge and a few games..." and, on Christmas Day, I found a sack full of a computer that wasn't a ZX81 and which I believed to have been delivered by a fat man in a red suit. (Well, what did you believe when you were four?)

Hence, I chose the VIC-20 to take the first project I'd work on for a computer that isn't either Sinclair-adjacent, or a Dragon 32. The original ZX81 Illuminati program formed the basis of this version, to which I've added a small amount of colour and rudimentary sound effects, and - gasp! - some user-defined graphics. And let me tell you, this is not the easy job that it is on the Spectrum - BASIC has to be manually moved from its default position, which isn't the same position on an 8K+ expanded model as it is on a 3K expanded or unexpanded model - and neither is the screen memory, or the colour memory that accompanies it. Idiosyncratic bits of Commodore BASIC I can handle, for the most part - the listing is full of weird inverse-video control characters, but at least I know what they do now.

And then there's the whole reason behind making this game in the first place, both for the original ZX81 version, the QL version, and now this one - it's as a showcase for what I can do with machine code after a minimal amount of training. Learning 6502 opcodes wasn't all that difficult, because I'd already put myself through the ringer with learning Z80 at the end of 2020, and all I needed to do here was translate from one set of instructions to another, discovering the mysteries of the Zero Page along the way. I have to say I have a lot more respect for Commodore programmers now - I thought it was hard enough making Manic Miner appear on a Spectrum screen by shuffling numbers around on registers, but the 6502 has only three 8-bit registers to work with - A, X, Y and that's your lot. You want to ADD HL,DE? Best of luck, mate. You want to LDIR - as I did, to copy the graphics from the ROM to the user-defined area? That had to be written from scratch, although for this purpose, there was a ready-made routine on 6502.org. As for the Illuminati's Top-Secret Calculation Formula, I had to do that myself. It was a success - the results will be the same, and you can check this version against any of the three Sinclair versions released so far.

Loading instructions have been included along with the Ludicrous Backstory, so there's no excuse not to get it working. Most people will opt for the disc, because the tape is so slow. I've calculated it at 400 baud...

So if you want to take the plunge into another world, as I have, you can do so... I've been running it with VICE 3.3, which is the last version that had a 32-bit option, and is what I'll stick to for the foreseeable future.

GET IT HERE

I'm already working on a version for the PET 2001, which will be cut down to remove sound, colour and UDGs (most of which it can't handle), but will be rehashed to make better use of the 40-column screen. And then, I'll combine the best bits of both versions for the C64, and present it in a glorious Sludge-o-Vision palette.

Then I'll see about the CPC and the MSX. And the Dragon 32, because I can't leave that out. And I suspect I'll try the BBC Micro, and the Acorn Atom, if I dare to touch its weird BASIC. Maybe the TI/99, the Atari 8-bits, the Apple IIe... there are loads of target machines.
Last edited by TMD2003 on Fri May 13, 2022 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Dr. Jim's Amazing Adventures in other 8-bit lands

Post by PeterJ »

There's something wrong with your Get It Now link @TMD2003
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Fixed it!
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

Nothing wrong with some VIC-20 love. :mrgreen:
(You might want to post this in the "VIC-20 software releases of 2022" thread on the denial forums.)
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Kind of crazy thing to do, but I love it nonetheless.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Quick nurse, get the medic! The doctor’s gone off the deep end…

He must have overdosed on all his home made wine🍷.

We need to pull him away from the off beige universe and pull his mind back to the dark black Sinclair universe. Get a ZX Spectrum 128K Toastrack ready immediately!

>READY
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer being good this year.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

1024MAK wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:01 am Quick nurse, get the medic! The doctor’s gone off the deep end…
He must have overdosed on all his home made wine🍷.
As it happens, I missed a bottle last Grand Prix because it was on after midnight and I chose to watch it the next day... at 8 in the morning.So I have extra.
We need to pull him away from the off beige universe and pull his mind back to the dark black Sinclair universe. Get a ZX Spectrum 128K Toastrack ready immediately!
Is that a firm offer? I don't have a Toastrack and prices are going through the roof.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I've had a few more experimental forays in Commie-land - and I don't mean North Korea. Instead of a Red Scare, everything's gone a lurid shade of green.

The VIC-20 version of Illuminati has been given a slight update, with a few extra sounds, a better random number seed, and a re-run that doesn't go through the instructions again. Anyone who downloaded "v1.0" might not even notice the differences, but they're there. The link is the same, but I'll repeat it: GET IT HERE!

And now... here comes the fifth part of the Illuminati Project, the PET version!

Image Image

It's monochrome, there's no sound and no 3D effects on the pyramid. But on the other hand, because it doesn't have the restrictions of the VIC-20's cramped screen, it looks more like it was always supposed to without having to define a ton of UDGs (which I don't think the PET can do anyway). It just about fits into the memory available, with about 340 bytes to spare, and all this on a computer launched in 1977.

The Illuminati's Top-Secret Calculation Formula had to be reverted to an old version that LDs and STs to absolute addresses (all seven of which are the characters in the REM statement in line 4) instead of zero page addresses, and as a compromise it had to be split into two REMs (lines 1 and 2), so anyone who does disassemble the code to see how it works, just be aware that the JMP instruction is nothing more than "skip over the bytes that hold the '2 REM' at the start of the line". Other than that, it works the same way and produces the same result as the four versions that have come before it.

I am still having trouble with the tape version, though - and a tape is more authentic than a disc when using a PET 2001 from 1977, right? I know that a PET 2001 is supposed to save an extra zero byte at the beginning of the file, that a PET 3008 or an even later model doesn't - but, even though I saved this game to tape on a 2001, if I try to load it onto a 2001 the listing will be corrupted, and if I try to load it on a 3008, it'll be fine. (The disc version works on both.) It might be a quirk of VICE 3.3, which is what I've been using because (a) it's still available as a 32-bit version and (b) I can't get VICE 3.5 to work at all. I will see if there's a response on this front from PET experts, because I'd like to get to the bottom of it. I had the same problems with Magiapotagia 1977 at the end of last year.

Anyway, tape problems or not, there's a working version in this package.

GET IT HERE
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

I can only say I'm highly impressed by all this. :)

I do appreciate the work needed to move games between platforms having done it myself a few times.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

And there are plenty more where this came from. Part VI of The Illuminati Project is well underway (and might even be done this evening, at least version 1.0 of it...), and the sooner I get that done, the sooner I can crack on with Part VII, which will be on my brother's old computer.

Which, incidentally, was the star of Complex Maths... WITH DRAGONS!
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

With this out of the way, I can return from my holiday in the realm of the Bread Bin and its two siblings, one of which is every bit as bready, and the other is wholly un-bready (and not even slightly curranty).

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

It took only two days to get the Commodore 64 version of Illuminati up and running. It was a simple case of... actually, it wasn't quite as simple as I'd imagined it to be, but anyway: I started with the PET version, because everything was on the right place on the screen to start with, then added the colours back in (keeping the standard C64 colours to start with, and adding the cyan and white as the two "highlight" colours), and worked out how UDGs are handled on the C64 to make a better 3D pyramid (briefly considering using sprites, but UDGs - or, rather, an entire character set as it was on the VIC-20 - turned out to be easier).

The VIC-20 listing also showed where the GOSUBs for the sound effects should be - and I had a bit of trouble fiddling around with the parameters to get VICE to make any sounds at all. The square wave, whatever I did with it, made a stony silence - and the triangular wave was far too quiet so in the end I went with sawtooth. The sound effects are quite ropey and maybe one day I'll update them, but it's probably best left to someone with more than two days' experience with the C64. (And call me weird, but after the experience of these three I'd be tempted to say I'd prefer a VIC-20 with and extra 24K of memory...)

Finally, because memory wasn't an issue, even after moving the screen RAM to bank 2 (so that the UDGs would work), I've added in ten colour schemes. Five of them are from Commodore computers (PET, VIC-20, C64, C128, Minus/60), then there's the ZX81, QL and Dragon 32 - as well as the "God-Emperor Trump" colour scheme (which, unlike the Spectrum version, is actually orange - no need for ULAplus here!), and one inspired by the "Ancient Aliens" Domo II wad which I've been promoting on all six releases of the game, and will continue to do so, because it's well worthy of its Cacoward.

It's quite annoying that there isn't a C64 Crap Games Competition as we would recognise it. Lemon64 doesn't have a "Programming" section the way we do. I think they just want to reminisce about games in days of yore and marvel at the homebrews of the modern day that make the Bread Bin do things it really shouldn't be able to do, and there's little interest in something that wouldn't look out of place on Cassette 50. The Reset64 Craptastic 4K Games Competition looks more like it's designed for high-tech machine code wizardry that can be crammed into as small a space as possible, and this version of Illuminati is utterly unsuitable for it. (Also, it's 11.5K, which is almost three times as much memory as is allowed for the competition. If I could cram this game into that little space, I'd have done it on an unexpanded VIC-20 instead!)

So, anyway, for those of you with a secret fetish for washed-out pastel colours as seen above (the C128 is spectacularly nasty):

GET IT HERE!
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Urgh! Those utterly un-garish colour palettes! Well, fear not, because I haven't gone back to those (yet). Preparing a certain entry for WOOT! made me think of the latest instalment of The Illuminati Project that I really should have got done a lot earlier. Seeing as I will soon be visiting a former owner of this machine, I've managed to get it done in two and a half days...

Image Image

The Evil Eye of the Illuminati now gazes over the gigantic beige case of the Dragon 32.

As I've said before on this thread, it would have been a lot easier to tackle the Amstrad CPC or the MSX machines, being Z80-based so I can recycle the original machine code. But, given my brother was handed a second-hand Dragon 32 some time around his sixth birthday (so that he wasn't left out when Big Brother had a +2), this is a machine I have a connection with. When he'd rather go out on his bike, I'd fire up the Dragon and see if I could program it. Nothing I wrote circa 1988-89 was anywhere near publishable, even in a 1982-83-era magazine - it was just the same kind of bits of junk I'd write on the Spectrum - and none of it survived (or deserved to).

So this is not my first attempt at programming the Welsh computer with the American accent - but it is the first time I've attempted 6809 machine code, which was similar enough to 6502 that I could use most of the same instructions as the Commodore versions. Moving the Direct page (the 6809's not-always-zero Zero page) made the Dragon crash even if I used the code in "Machine language For The Absolute Beginnner", so I've reverted to what they call Extended addressing. In other words, I have to use three-byte LDA 7F06h instead of two-byte LDA 06h, and the code has ballooned to... gasp!... 118 bytes. Even an original Trash-80 Model I could handle that amount! (It couldn't handle this program, though - have you seen its non-capability with strings?)

For those unaware, the Dragon kept its text and graphics screens strictly separate. I did originally try to make the Illuminati's Pyramid on the text screen, but there wasn't enough room to make a suitably-sized Evil Eye. Plus, it was even more chunky than the ZX81 original. So the only viable alternative was to use the four-colour graphics screen, in PMODE 1. I could, if I was ambitious, make a monochrome version of the graphics now seen on Illuminati II, in PMODE 4... but it doesn't really reflect the level the Dragon operates at. Everything has to be drawn on screen - fortunately it has a DRAW command that takes a string, say "U8L4R8" to draw a T from the base up. These are things I'd forgotten in the last almost-30 years.

As ever, anyone who ever wants to have a crack at programming something other than a Spectrum or its black-and-white predecessors, you could do a lot worse than download this game, examine the listing and see how it works. You'll have to disassemble the code yourself, mind - the Illuminati don't give up their secrets that easily.

GET IT HERE
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

A further question for anyone who might know:

Would a program written on the Acorn Electron run on a BBC Micro? As far as I know, it's just a BBC B with the Teletext mode cut out. But I'm no expert on that. The posh kids I was at school with all had BBC Micros (and rich parents who could afford one), but I haven't seen any of them in 25 years and they wouldn't lower themselves to an Electron anyway, so they're no help.

Also, the thought of a CSSCGC-type conversion of Rock'em Sock'em Robots has just gone through my head, with Sir Clive and Chris Curry in place of the robots. I suspect it's been done before, though. But not with dual Spectrum and Electron versions as part of the package...