DKRX

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
highrise
Manic Miner

DKRX

Post by highrise »

Hey guys

As some of you will no doubt know, I've been working on a conversion of Donkey Kong for some time, but this year I've stepped up and I'm making pretty good progress. I have a Facebook group (www.facebook.com/groups/happycodingzx) where I post daily updates. I also have a Youtube channel by the same name so feel free to subscribe there if you like.

Anyway, the sprite engine is working well, and the regular barrels on level one are also done. The front screen has also more or less been done, and I've been working on Kong himself and most of his graphics are complete, so the animation engine is the next thing I'll be working on. I don't come on here that much but I'll post more updates now and again. In the meantime, here are a few screenshots, these are runing in Fuse with the dot matrix filter as I think it gives quite a nice arcadey feel.

ionut76
Dizzy

Re: DKRX

Post by ionut76 »

Looks great ! Is it for Next ?
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Very promising project :)

Could you please share at least the major updates here for those of us who wish to steer clear of facebook?
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

ionut76 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:42 pm Looks great ! Is it for Next ?
No, 48K
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

Alessandro wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:08 pm Very promising project :)

Could you please share at least the major updates here for those of us who wish to steer clear of facebook?
As mentioned, I also have a Youtube channel where I post some updates, also Happy Coding ZX
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

Hubba Hubba!!
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

A Youtube video showing the animation system doing a basic two frame routine.

In this video I'm doing a simple test for the animation frame code that is used to control Kong himself. There are several different poses that use a tile based system somewhat similar to that used by Don Priestley in games like Popeye. In this case, because Kong is always in the top third of the screen we can implement some basic timings to ensure that the raster beam never crosses him as he is drawn, making sure there is no tearing or flicker.

In this instance I'm simply switching between two frames every 16 cycles. The next challenge is to put Kong in charge of spawning barrels instead of just triggering them using a basic timer.

It's probably worth pointing out that I am also pushing the barrel sprite engine code to the limit here to make sure that the Kong animations and barrels will both fit into a single cycle, and this is not how the game itself will look in terms of barrel count.

https://youtu.be/lbM2OnBD_zM
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

Got back to dev on this, quite a few updates to see in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQJlFiz96b4
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

another update

highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

Quite a bit more added this week.

if you are interested in following progress on a daily basis, you can join my FB group which is at www.facebook.com/groups/happycodingzx

Alternatively, if you want to help free up more of my time to work on this, you can support me on Patreon. You get my full back catalogue of complete games, exclusive mods and playable of demos of current projects, including this one. That's at www.patreon.com/happycodingzx

Thanks again!
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

A few more updates