ZX-Spectrum-inspired comedy show in Birmingham, Wed 6th Dec

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

ZX-Spectrum-inspired comedy show in Birmingham, Wed 6th Dec

Post by PeteProdge »

If you're near the city centre of Birmingham on the evening of Wednesday 6th December, you could pop into the Gunmaker's Arms for an hour-long comedy by retrogaming fan and comedian Laura Monmoth...
  • "Laura Monmoth had a problem. Battling demons, jealousy and breakdowns. This is the story of how a lifelong addiction to retro gaming caused all three, and forced the biggest change in her life."
It's a show that's previously ran in Edinburgh in August, Laura is nominated for the Midlands Comedy Awards this year and there are other nominees as support acts.

It's actually longer than an hour, due to support acts, such as Harvey Hawkins and yours truly (yeah, stand-up is my other vice).

Gunmaker's Arms,
93 Bath Street,
Birmingham
B4 6HG
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Re: ZX-Spectrum-inspired comedy show in Birmingham, Wed 6th Dec

Post by Wall_Axe »

I'm outside the country or I'd go.
Good Luck though
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Neat, not near enough for me though.

Does your standup have any retro stuff in it Pete? I've seen a youtube vid that didn't.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:48 pmDoes your standup have any retro stuff in it Pete? I've seen a youtube vid that didn't.
I don't think I've ever touched upon retrogaming in my stand-up. Maybe a few asides when I've been a compere, none of which I can remember now, but, no. My natural stand-up centres around online pr0n and awful politicians. The character act I'm doing to support Laura's show has a bit of politics in it, then lots of jokes about bad sex and Britain's drinking culture.

To do stuff on old computer games in front of an audience where there'll be anyone from the ages of 18 to 70 is a bit of a gamble. I'd love to, but it's nice to have strong reference points. This is why I'm looking forward to launching my YouTube channel, where I'll be doing some quick gags about the games I'm playing, little throwaway sketches and daft observations.

West midlands based Freddie Farrell used to do a few bits about the Sega and Nintendo consoles, IIRC.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Just a note to say that this is happening at 8pm on Wed 6th Dec, and is completely free entry.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

How was the gig?

I can't find any vids of Laura's stuff, are there any out there?
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

This took place last night and was utterly fantastic. I had never seen the show in full before...

The ZX Spectrum dominated it, and there were mentions of Daley Thompson's Decathlon; A Day In The Life; Highlander; Manic Miner; and the dreaded Paradise Cafe, among many others. It's accessible enough to be highly amusing to non-gamers and yet ticks all the boxes for folk like us.

Here are a few pics...

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I wasn't sure at first but seeing those pics it looks really good. Let me know if she tours further north!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:14 pm I wasn't sure at first but seeing those pics it looks really good. Let me know if she tours further north!
The next scheduled show is, um, Cheltenham in Gloucestershire (yeah, not exactly further north, quite the opposite).

Although this looks to be even better, as it's a full-on retrogaming comedy show (other comedians on the subject of old games) right next to some classic coin-op machines. I'm hoping to be there, just as a punter. Friday 12th January...

Details: https://www.facebook.com/events/1960768467578948/
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Hope nobody said anything nasty about Highlander.. ;)
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Morkin wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:11 pm Hope nobody said anything nasty about Highlander.. ;)
Errrr... um...
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Morkin wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:11 pm Hope nobody said anything nasty about Highlander.. ;)
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

The working title for Highlander must have been Battle Ceefax.