Buzzsaw+ finally available on cassette!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Buzzsaw+ finally available on cassette!

Post by R-Tape »

And could there be a classier way to announce it?
Joefish wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:02 am Back when we were still banging rocks
Some people were in for some shocks.
A game came before us,
It's name was Buzzsaw+,
And now it's on tape in a box!!! :D
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Re: Buzzsaw+ finally available on cassette!

Post by Joefish »

*PARPS own trumpet*

With thanks to Simon and Graz at Cronosoft.
It's the original (and best) Box Deluxe Mix on tape.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

I would like to make it known that no ferrets were harmed in the announcement of this wonderful news.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Nor in the production of the cassette inserts.
But we had to force-feed the squid some pretty weird sh*t to get the right coloured inks. :mrgreen:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Well I've got my pre-order in. Looking forward to seeing it again. I think I played this on real hardware when it was released but not a little time has passed since then. Maybe I should dig out my little CRT telly to get maximum 'colour blend'.

Was a big fancy Monument release with loads of extras never on the cards?
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

There were to be some extras but all the stuff I wanted didn't come together. Some of the artwork has been mislaid, and I never finished my developer diary write-up. I figured it was time to stop mucking about and get it on tape. I might put out the free version source code at some point.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I wanted to play this on the 23rd but couldn't collect it in time. Fired it up last night, and after an initial side A tape load error panic, side B worked fine. We've habituated to rainbow graphics so we're unlikely to ever get the dropped jaws of 2013 again, but playing it on tape still felt like a landmark event. Enjoyed playing it, I'm rusty though, I thought I was coasting until things rapidly got on top of me around level 5.
Joefish wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:51 pm There were to be some extras but all the stuff I wanted didn't come together.
Apart from red blood (I think, can't check right now) I didn't realise some things were different until about level 4 with cyan dudes.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

The Jelly Ghosts and Ghouls are swapped back to their original colours as I designed them (Green, Cyan). The order is slightly different so that the Robot comes fifth. So if you ever make it to Level 10 you'll see there's a new baddie instead of the Mean Robot you (might be) used to. I can't get that far! And you can actually complete level 10 and there's an everlasting Level 11 instead. And before you try it, the cheat mode doesn't work! Also, the starting Hi-Scores are higher. Which I forgot to fix when I put out the free version.

Sorry to hear you got a loading error off one side. I'm afraid quality control is down to the chief ferret furtler.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Joefish wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:44 am Sorry to hear you got a loading error off one side. I'm afraid quality control is down to the chief ferret furtler.
It's no problem and I think it's intentional - different recordings at different volumes to allow for our increasingly temperamental hardware. That's how Monument do their stuff anyway.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Joefish wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:44 am So if you ever make it to Level 10 you'll see there's a new baddie instead of the Mean Robot you (might be) used to. I can't get that far!
Okay - I really want to see this new sprite so that's a job for the weekend, I hope you haven't installed any antihack measures ;)
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

You could try looking for the cheat code function and re-enabling it.
Hint:
Spoiler
Ha ha it's not there anymore!
There's a sprite table somewhere; if you can find it you can re-arrange the sprites that appear on each level. I'd start by scanning for the attributes of a given sprite, count backwards over its pixel data, then look for its address being referenced in a tabular sort of a way. You could even write an editor if you're feeling generous, but you'd probably be better received if you did that for the free version.

Or try to find the bit that works out how many baddies you have to kill to progress to the next level and make it smaller, not bigger.