Which ZX Spectrum game is most deserving of a sequel?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Which ZX Spectrum game is most deserving of a sequel?

Post by PeteProdge »

Go on then. A sequel you'd like to see. Even if the game already has a sequel (I mean, you can have a third or a fourth one, right).

Tell us what'd be called and what would happen in it.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: Which ZX Spectrum game is most deserving of a sequel?

Post by Morkin »

Avalon/Dragontorc - I'd love to see a sequel to these, starring Maroc the mage (Astroclone doesn't count). The game engine is eminently re-usable.

Starquake - B.L.O.B. is such a cool little character, would be interesting to see him/her/it in a follow-up, especially if the game is of similar quality.

[Edit: Oh, I missed the 'what happens in it' part of the question - answer = I don't know!]
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

Hello Pete, what's happening? If you could just go ahead and remove all traces and memories of Renegade 3 from history and our brains, and give us a sequel to Target Renegade, that'd be great ... mmkay?

It would be called Parkrun Renegade ... you are running through a bunch of gradually more treacherous and longer parks and have to beat up all other contestants on the way to make first place at the end ;)
Also would tie in nicely with the "Renegade World Tour" Ashens once proposed in a video.
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

Deathchase 2.
Generally updated for 48k. More objects / varied scenery. More interactive gameplay, with enemies that actually hinder you / build up / shoot back.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Heavy on the magick - as it's literally just a 1st part
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

Lethargeek wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:50 pm Heavy on the magick - as it's literally just a 1st part
... and Marsport for the same reason.

I always wanted a bit more Starquake too. Surely that could have had some sort of sequel.
I code to live (Job) and I live to code (Retro). One of them has to give!
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

a)Foorballer of the year 1 with kempston mouse support ... (not the FOTY 2 with quiz questions)
b)Footballer of the year 1 with a basketball theme :)
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Great subject for a thread.

I would love to have seen a much better sequel to Fairlight.

Not sure if there was one, but a follow up to Valhalla with a faster engine would have been great.

I was disappointed with JSW2 and was hoping for an entirely new adventure. I always thought he’d end up escaping from the house and be on the run.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

XTM wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:36 pm Hello Pete, what's happening? If you could just go ahead and remove all traces and memories of Renegade 3 from history and our brains, and give us a sequel to Target Renegade, that'd be great ... mmkay?
I think it was the Friday The 13th film series that had one edition subtitled 'The Final Chapter', depicting it as the very end for the story...

...only to return with another edition subtitled 'A New Beginning' a year later! Just like veteran musicians, such as Barbra Stresiand, your self-declared finale is not always so!

My take on Renegade IV: A New Beginning would be to still have the time machine story going, but using the Target Renegade engine (the best, IMO, although I'll happily settle for the Renegade one) and Renegade goes back in time to 1989 Manchester, where he finds everybody responsible for creating and publishing Renegade III and gives them a right kicking.
XTM wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:36 pmIt would be called Parkrun Renegade ... you are running through a bunch of gradually more treacherous and longer parks and have to beat up all other contestants on the way to make first place at the end ;)
I think the closest we have to that idea, is this!
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
JollyRoger
Microbot

Post by JollyRoger »

PeteProdge wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:43 pm My take on Renegade IV: A New Beginning would be to still have the time machine story going, but using the Target Renegade engine (the best, IMO, although I'll happily settle for the Renegade one) and Renegade goes back in time to 1989 Manchester, where he finds everybody responsible for creating and publishing Renegade III and gives them a right kicking.
How can you dislike the sight of Renegade battling dinosaurs and mummies? :lol:

What substances were they under the influence of when this project was green-lighted?
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

p13z wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:27 pm Deathchase 2.
Generally updated for 48k. More objects / varied scenery. More interactive gameplay, with enemies that actually hinder you / build up / shoot back.
Good call, especially if the helicopter could be shot, like the rumour going around my school playground at the time….
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

I'd go for Renegade: Terminator, where you travel through time assassinating the ancestors of the people who made the third game in order to create a temporal paradox so that it never existed. :D
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I also would like to see a proper 3rd part of Renegade.

But as for know, you can try my mods if you haven't already :)

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... Recoloured

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... e-Imagined
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

XTM wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:36 pm Also would tie in nicely with the "Renegade World Tour" Ashens once proposed in a video.
I haven't seen the video but there's one excellent sequel to Target: Renegade and one dreadful sequel to Renegade III contained in that idea.

Part of me would like to see Renegade fighting seals in the arctic just for the lols.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Coming back to the original question, I'd love to give Sam Cruise another case to get his teeth into.

The side streets were so tantalising and I always imagined being able to walk down them and explore more of the city. With 128k that would be possible. If only Sam Cruise had sold as many copies as it deserved to and the Reidys had stuck around, *sigh*. With what they managed to cram into 48k, who knows what they could've achieved.
lister_of_smeg
Microbot

Post by lister_of_smeg »

PeteProdge wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:43 pm My take on Renegade IV: A New Beginning would be to still have the time machine story going, but using the Target Renegade engine (the best, IMO, although I'll happily settle for the Renegade one) and Renegade goes back in time to 1989 Manchester, where he finds everybody responsible for creating and publishing Renegade III and gives them a right kicking.
The second stage sees Renegade travel to Ludlow to pummel the Crash review team for giving Renegade III a Crash Smash.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

clebin wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:23 am Coming back to the original question, I'd love to give Sam Cruise another case to get his teeth into.

The side streets were so tantalising and I always imagined being able to walk down them and explore more of the city. With 128k that would be possible. If only Sam Cruise had sold as many copies as it deserved to and the Reidys had stuck around, *sigh*. With what they managed to cram into 48k, who knows what they could've achieved.
Ooh, frankly, a 128K game taking place in either the Skool Daze or the Sam Cruise universe would be utterly wonderful.

Contact Sam Cruise is a nice title, and so, evolving the '[verb] Sam Cruise' title logically...

Meet Sam Cruise
Rescue Sam Cruise
Assist Sam Cruise
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Some good suggestions.

Heavy/Magick is a good suggestion as like Sweevo/Hydrofool/Wunderlandit was iirc meant to be a 'three parter' , although that game (and say Marsport) were not really ones I ever got into.

Hydrfool ending mentioning this third game:
Spoiler
Deathchase another good suggestion, again not one of my fave games (sorry) but it does have wide appeal.

We'll not go into MireMare here, maybe.

Fairlight (1/2/128?) were good games but somehow never appealed to me that much however I do see their value and a 'new un' would be a good thing.

SkoolDaze/BakToSkool/ContactSamCruise is a very good suggestion too, the 'engine' from those games could of been used for something else if not for another Sam game. There seemed a bit 'less to do' in CSC compared to SD and BTS though.

Dynamite Dan III perhaps ? DD3 and the islands with a record player to play the final record back*** , in all seriousness a good game could be made with this perhaps more in the DD1 style as DD2 was a bit too tricky, especially the Monty island if you landed on it.

*** I have no doubt there was an ending as RB said once iirc and it was at a best (my own guess) the 'file' sent for mastering was somehow not the finished one. Maybe, but that's a different kettle of fish.

JSW2 was mention and I can see why. However it must be bourne in mind that game was originally an Amstrad CPC one, a JSW1 and as we have more memory we'll add more stuff, then it got ported to the Speccy.
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

Looking at the 2nd pic Ralf posted (I put it in a spoiler below) there is this baddie with a mullet hairdo at the bottom ... back in the day I didn't think much about it, but I just began wondering if they modeled him after Gary Bracey as a bit of a joke :lol:
Ralf wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:06 am
Spoiler
clebin wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:11 amI haven't seen the video
He has made a bunch of hilarious videos, here is the YouTube link to the Renegade III one ...
lister_of_smeg wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:29 amThe second stage sees Renegade travel to Ludlow to pummel the Crash review team for giving Renegade III a Crash Smash.
Excellent idea. In that stage, you don't punch or kick them, your attacks are done with a copy of Crash, you simply roll it up and smack everyone with it. Each time you hit someone, that little "Crash Smash" icon from the magazine is displayed as a hit indicator. Extra points for taking out Nick Roberts ;)

I mean, in an earlier issue they even had a little cartoon submitted by a reader where some guy is being pestered by flies and has tried everything to no avail, so the other guy goes "Have you cried Crash?" and proceeds to "Crash smash" them with a rolled up issue ... it's where I got this idea from.
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

Maybe a third follow up for Avalon and Dragontorc. Some further adventures of the wizard.
I code to live (Job) and I live to code (Retro). One of them has to give!
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

toot_toot wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:24 am
p13z wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:27 pm Deathchase 2.
Good call, especially if the helicopter could be shot, like the rumour going around my school playground at the time….
The helicopter can be shot, you have to wait for it to land. I hit it last night on my live stream, which incidentally, involves modding the game :)
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Kokotoni Wilf perhaps ? Redone with more up to date programming / graphics (not a remake, a sequel) , Wilf is sent back to complete the mission again due to (insert reason here) in different time periods again.

Another Wally Week game does spring to mind, I think there was a vague mention of this (I forget who told me sorry) at one distant point, perhaps with the updated '3Weeks' engine, as that allows object selection per key rather than just "walk over"
Gilberto
Drutt

Post by Gilberto »

For the glory of necroposting...I'd say these types of initiatives fits well with a longstanding dream of trying a more decent Nightshade. Be It a sequell, a remake/demake or an enhancement, making It more RPG and puzzle-ish would have been great. Add to it a bit of strategy and you get a hit.
I was thinking along the lines of killing the four bosses in a completely different fashion: making good use of spells, combined with a good timing, probably modifying the map to better suit these changes.
A 128 Kb version featuring the dragon would be a killing!
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

spider wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:43 pm Heavy/Magick is a good suggestion
HOTM is partially done, but is frozen at the moment cause I'm very lazy :(

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Agree with someone above as to Deathchase, a graphically improved version.

And Fairlight 3, it seems to be planned or so.