+3 Drive Problems

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
robpearmain
Drutt

+3 Drive Problems

Post by robpearmain »

Hi

If I format a disk on my +3, I can read and write to it no problem, however it doesn’t read any other disks, including commercial.

I am using a modern PSU, not the original PSU that came with the +3

Could it be that the motor is running but not at the correct speed due to power, or is that impossible.

I have changed the belt etc, but the same problem persists.

Any help much appreciated

Rob
p13z
Manic Miner

Re: +3 Drive Problems

Post by p13z »

Sounds more like a misalignment of the head, perhaps?
cj7hawk
Manic Miner

Post by cj7hawk »

I'd guess misalignment of the head... There are some videos on fixing it, but it is not an easy task.

Recommended: Get a GOTEK :) I published a nice 3D printed Gotek case here earlier for the +3. It works very well and you will never look back.

David.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

robpearmain wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:24 pm If I format a disk on my +3, I can read and write to it no problem, however it doesn’t read any other disks, including commercial.
I had a similar problem last year - adjusting the stepper motor fixed it. I don't have an oscilloscope (mentioned in the video referred to in the linked post) but I just made small adjustments, then tried to CAT the commercial disk, and then adjust again… repeating until it worked reliably. And it's been fine since!

You'll likely need to reformat your disk (i.e. the one that's currently working) to bring the tracks back into standard alignment. Maybe you could back up your files to tape before making any adjustments?
cj7hawk wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:52 pm Recommended: Get a GOTEK :) I published a nice 3D printed Gotek case here earlier for the +3. It works very well and you will never look back.
Totally agree! They are also very easy to connect externally and use as drive B (although some software only works if you load from A).