"B-b-but, this can't be a ZX Spectrum, it just can't do that!"

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Dr beep
Manic Miner

Re: "B-b-but, this can't be a ZX Spectrum, it just can't do that!"

Post by Dr beep »

In 1997 after 2 years coding on my ZX81EMULATOR I visited a meeting Mönchengladbach, Germany.

I had a ZX Spectrum with DK Tronics keyboard which was also available on the ZX81.

I loaded my emulator and loaded 3D Monster Maze on it.

I played it when a german visitor said, nice to see you with your ZX81.

I replied that it was a ZX Spectrum with a ZX81 emulator and he said "there no such thing"

I pressed 2 keys for the menu and said "Can you do this on the Zx81?" and the menu appeared.
He was stunned and called many others and they all wanted a copy.
Dr beep
Manic Miner

Post by Dr beep »

TV game with the bats in the border.
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

In terms of games pushing the envelope then yeah, R-Type and Thanatos for me. The parallax scrolling on the latter was unbelievable.

In terms of individual effects or moments, Future Games was the first Tim Follin tune I heard. That border effect in Gutz. The loader on Moonstrike. They all seemed impossible.
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

oh gawd, the running sprites when Tech Ted loads. That just seemed so awesome at the time. Animation during loading seemed wizard to me as I had little knowledge of how loading worked then.
I code to live (Job) and I live to code (Retro). One of them has to give!
zup
Manic Miner

Post by zup »

Extreme was... well, extreme. Big sprites. VERY big sprites, colourful and it had three different sections... all packed in a single 48k. Savage was also impressive... but I got stunned with Extreme.
Manu128k
Dizzy

Post by Manu128k »

When I was playing Wonder Boy in Monster Land and I pressed pause so the game then shows some big PAUSE letters ... Wait a moment, it is drawing in the b.., it can't be... it's in the border!! That's impossible :o :o :o