Due to unusually high levels of website traffic you will be presenting with regular Cloudflare checks for the time being.

BBC special BBC Prom celebrating music in video games

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
PeterJ
Site Admin

BBC special BBC Prom celebrating music in video games

Post by PeterJ »

Interesting mention of the Spectrum in the BBC Gaming Proms which happened on the 1st August, during this episode of BBC Click from around 4:05

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... er-gadgets

You can watch the Gaming Proms here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... -the-proms

The Spectrum game music featured is from Chronos.

Note: Some links may not be available outside the UK

YouTube link updated. Thanks to @redballoon

redballoon
Manic Miner

Re: BBC special BBC Prom celebrating music in video games

Post by redballoon »

The Chronos arrangement was a bit out there - they even played the game loading, but it was absolutely fantastic. I happened to channel surf onto it midway through the performance and immediately recognised it. It was nice that it was in there amongst a lot of Japanese have music.

Just a thing, though @PeterJ, that Chronos video doesn’t contain the actual original Chronis music and something that doesn’t even come close to Follin’s.

You’ll want this
Last edited by redballoon on Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks @redballoon.

I've updated the OP. Appreciated. Peter
MtM
Dizzy

Post by MtM »

I watched this program come on, and was fairly unimpressed by the presenter's lack of knowledge, clearly scripted questions and answers, but more than anything, the thing I suspected would happen did happen, after Chronos, where they _barely_ name checked the Great Tim Follin as its author, they started talking drivel about Japanese games and in game music, so I voted with my feet and turned over. Can someone please tell me if I missed any Rob Hubbard? And why not get the original tune authors on stage? As I remember Tim Follin left the game scene to make films as he was broke and fed up I think, this might of been a shot in the arm for him. I could be mistaken.

Overall, it went the way of so much BBC broadcasting these days, the short part I saw - over presented and pundited, by people with little real knowledge of 8 bit 80s music, which I do not claim to be an expert on, but I am pretty sure I know more than any of the people on that show, including the conductor.

I didn't think the version of Chronos was much good either tbh. Give me the original any day of the week.

However, thanks Peter J for creating the thread, as it has given me chance to vent! ;-)
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Yeah, I think the Chronos was a bit too out there for me, definitely prefer the original. The concert overall was ok though, it skewed a little too modern for my taste but you can't have everything I guess. We're some odd omissions too, felt like the Mario theme ought to be in there or even a bit of Castlevania. Still you can't have everything I guess.
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

Yeah, much of the charm of the Chronos music is that it sounds like it's being played on an angle grinder stuck through a phaser. The melody is certainly recognizable though and I appreciated that they kept a lot of the swells and portamento.

Anyway, here's the audio-only version for those geo-blocked by iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0019kp1
Gooeyblob
Drutt

Post by Gooeyblob »

Pleasantly surprised to discover that Chronos on a 128 has AY drums!