Fuse 1.5.3 released

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
Fred
Drutt

Fuse 1.5.3 released

Post by Fred »

A new release of Fuse, the Free Unix Spectrum Emulator, is now available at the SourceForge project:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fuse-emulator/

Highlights of this release include:
  • Disable inactive peripherals after loading a snapshot
  • Re-enable sound after phantom typist finishes loading TAP, standard ROM TZX or +3 DSK images
  • Upgrade to libspectrum 1.4.2 to fix writing RZX files containing a snapshot which cannot be compressed
Many thanks to everyone who's contributed to this release. Source code and binaries for Windows are currently available on the SourceForge site; compiled binaries for various other platforms should become available in the next few days.
stefrobb
Drutt

Re: Fuse 1.5.3 released

Post by stefrobb »

I've never been able to get Fuse to work, I always get the error "Networking: failed to test internal communications" followed by a C++ runtime crash. Not even sure if it's a Fuse error, but I never get it with anything else. Anyone have any ideas?
Fred
Drutt

Post by Fred »

Do you have a firewall enabled? If so, try disabling it and testing again.
stefrobb
Drutt

Post by stefrobb »

Yeah, I'd looked through the source and seen on Sourceforge help that there was an issue with the firewall and Spectranet emulation. I've already added an exception in Windows 7 Firewall, and even turned it off completely but it doesn't make any difference. I've fiddled with so many things on this computer over the years it could probably be anything.
Fred
Drutt

Post by Fred »

Hmm, I'm not a Windows user so I can't offer any more detailed guesses :(
serbalgi
Drutt

Post by serbalgi »

stefrobb wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 12:46 pm Yeah, I'd looked through the source and seen on Sourceforge help that there was an issue with the firewall and Spectranet emulation. I've already added an exception in Windows 7 Firewall, and even turned it off completely but it doesn't make any difference. I've fiddled with so many things on this computer over the years it could probably be anything.
Something is preventing Fuse to use sockets. If it isn't the built-in firewall in Windows, it might be a security suite?
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Hi!
What's the status of the Disciple emulation on Fuse? Is still under development?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]stefrobb[/mention] which Antivirus are you using? I know it's not the best, but I just use Microsoft Defender. I'm lucky enough to have an actual Soectranet and did have to open the appropriate ports on my BT router when I used that.
serbalgi
Drutt

Post by serbalgi »

druellan wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:05 pm Hi!
What's the status of the Disciple emulation on Fuse? Is still under development?
I'd say the main part is working. From the Fuse's manual:
Fuse supports emulating the DISCiPLE disk and printer interface, although it does not currently support emulation of the Sinclair Network, or support emulation of a DISCiPLE attached to a 128K machine [...]
MrPixel
Microbot

Post by MrPixel »

did it add support for QL emulation? zx80,81 and compatibles? what about the clones?
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

serbalgi wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 10:51 pm I'd say the main part is working. From the Fuse's manual:
Fuse supports emulating the DISCiPLE disk and printer interface, although it does not currently support emulation of the Sinclair Network, or support emulation of a DISCiPLE attached to a 128K machine [...]
Yeah, is not working on 128k and does not honor the drive setup for quite some time now, that's why I was wondering if the developer has abandoned the support.
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

MrPixel wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 11:17 pm did it add support for QL emulation? zx80,81 and compatibles? what about the clones?
QL was a Motorola 68008, I wouldn't expect that to be emulated by fuse any time soon. There is another question - if you add support for these new systems like z80, z81. Who is going to continue the development after the initial excitement is over and the new guy who said yes to supporting the system leaves? It will fall to the original devs who already have a ton of work just trying to support the existing systems on offer to take on this extra work. Who does that benefit? you end up with a partially supported system, angry/dissapointed users and you already said you would expand the scope of the emulator by then.. You can understand why they would avoid taking on more work even if the system was z80 based.
stefrobb
Drutt

Post by stefrobb »

PeterJ wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:01 pm @stefrobb which Antivirus are you using? I know it's not the best, but I just use Microsoft Defender. I'm lucky enough to have an actual Soectranet and did have to open the appropriate ports on my BT router when I used that.
I'm using MS Security Essentials, but I don't really think it's that. I really have poked about in the registry and system files in ways that I probably shouldn't have over the years—that's probably left a mark! It's a shame that Fuse fails on this test when there's no Spectranet present, it should at least start. The failure, or otherwise, of this test should only really be an issue if you do have a Spectranet, but as it stands the test prevents me from using Fuse at all.
serbalgi
Drutt

Post by serbalgi »

druellan wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 11:48 pm Yeah, is not working on 128k and does not honor the drive setup for quite some time now, that's why I was wondering if the developer has abandoned the support.
Original developer isn't active these days and there was an unknown behaviour on actual 128k, so development hasn't progressed in this area.

Please, could you give more details about the drive setup issue? I don't understand what's going on.
serbalgi
Drutt

Post by serbalgi »

stefrobb wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:01 am I'm using MS Security Essentials, but I don't really think it's that. I really have poked about in the registry and system files in ways that I probably shouldn't have over the years—that's probably left a mark! It's a shame that Fuse fails on this test when there's no Spectranet present, it should at least start. The failure, or otherwise, of this test should only really be an issue if you do have a Spectranet, but as it stands the test prevents me from using Fuse at all.
Agreed. Unfortunately Fuse for Windows doesn't know if Spectranet will be enabled later in the session and really bad things will happen if a firewall is blocking Fuse, so the less bad scenario is refusing to start on a restrictive environment. I'll give another go to this issue.
serbalgi
Drutt

Post by serbalgi »

MrPixel wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 11:17 pm did it add support for QL emulation? zx80,81 and compatibles? what about the clones?
I think Fuse team prefer to focus on spectrum families, but would be happy if anyone takes the source code to start a spin-off.
Z80
Drutt

Post by Z80 »

Fuse does work with the MGT+D emulation on the emulated 128K. I'm currently programming with this setup. The only detail I could complain about would be the necessity to mount the drives every time you launch Fuse (storing the drives setup along with the emulated machine setup would be nice), and the absence of autosave, so you have to manually save the emulated disk files before exiting (you're also asked to do so if you forget before closing Fuse, fortunately).

Actually, I'm saving the current drive everytime I save my work to it, just in case...

Other than that, it works great, and I've always appreciated the simplified syntax (e.g. verify pn after saving a file)

In fact, the detail I appreciate the most about Fuse is you can use the cursor, delete and Esc (for Edit) keys plus a bunch of other direct keys for the most useful Caps + Symbol Shift combinations. For an unknown reason, almost all the other emulators fail to add more keys than the original (and horrible) rubber keyboard, as if there had never been any Spectrum+ in the universe...

I almost never used the rubber keyboard, as the first modification I've done on my good old issue 3b 48k Speccy was to rewire an old TRS-80 keyboard and connect it to the Speccy using ribbon cable directly soldered to the motherboard... The cursor and other special keys were wired savage-wise using diodes, so sometimes a few strokes were missed here and there because of the keyboard polling timing, but at least I could really type ! :D

Anyway, I'm glad Fuse took this into consideration. It's been the first reason why I dropped all the other emulators I've tried. The worst being emulation on Windows Phones, as they still insist on only bringing the stupid rubber keyboard, when there's plenty of room on the touchscreen to draw a Spectrum+ one...
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

Z80 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:18 pm Fuse does work with the MGT+D emulation on the emulated 128K. I'm currently programming with this setup. The only detail I could complain about would be the necessity to mount the drives every time you launch Fuse (storing the drives setup along with the emulated machine setup would be nice)
You should be able to mount one drive by adding a plusddisk setting to the fuse config file (at least I just tested the equivalent plus3disk which works). The ability to mount individual drives would indeed be good though.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Hi Z80.
Z80 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:18 pm Fuse does work with the MGT+D emulation on the emulated 128K.
Yes, but I'm referring specifically to the Disciple emulation.
The +D emulation does work on both 48k and 128k, but does not seem to honor the settings about tracks and sides of the disk image, at least, I'm not able to read some 40-track images, while other emulators like ZXSpin/SpecEmu/Eightyone have no problems with them.
Fred
Drutt

Post by Fred »

druellan wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:37 pm does not seem to honor the settings about tracks and sides of the disk image
Could you describe what exactly you mean here? By default Fuse emulates a double-sided 80 track disk drive for the +D. What 40 track images are you using, what are you doing with them and what are you expecting to happen? :)
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Thanks for the reply!
Fred wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:22 am Could you describe what exactly you mean here? By default Fuse emulates a double-sided 80 track disk drive for the +D. What 40 track images are you using, what are you doing with them and what are you expecting to happen? :)
Well, here in Argentina the interface was sold with a 5 1/4 single-density double-side floppy drive. I've recovered several of those disks on .mgt images like this one:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g1hn5ya8l91a1 ... 5.mgt?dl=0

I thought that setting FUSE to read 40 track images was going to do the trick

But the result is always the same:

Other emulators can read the image, so, is not corruption or bad formatting, so my assumption is that or FUSE is not following the disk configuration (40 tracks), or it just hate non-conventional disk images. Either way, I think there is room for improvement.
Fred
Drutt

Post by Fred »

Thanks for the extra details, I've logged an issue at the Fuse bug tracker here https://sourceforge.net/p/fuse-emulator/bugs/424/.
szaszg
Drutt

Post by szaszg »

Hi druellan!

I post a patch to https://sourceforge.net/p/fuse-emulator/bugs/424/#8432. You try to compile fuse with this patch... Fuse will ask you about 1 sided or 2 sided the opened disk.
These settings related to the emulated disk drives, not to disk images or images "geometry". e.g. if you set "single sided 40 track", then cannot read the second side.. because only one head "exists" in the emulated drive. (Looks like in "real world")

Some technical details:
The MGT disk image format is a very modest format. It only contains the raw data of all the sectors of the disk. There is no any metadata, e.g. information about number of sides, tracks, sector lengths, number of sectors in a track, etc... there is no any "magic" (e.g. some ID byte at the beginning) to be sure this is really an MGT file.

We guess the disk geometry only from:
  • the length of the file
  • and we know that: MGT filesystem (Disciple/+D/SAM Coupé -- G-DOS, G+DOS, SAMDOS, UniDOS, BetaDOS, Master DOS, etc) uses 512 byte length sectors
  • and uses 10 sectors per track
2 sided 80 track disk: 2 x 80 x 10 x 512 = 819200
1 sided 40 track disk: 1 x 40 x 10 x 512 = 204800
But (not a big surprise) a two sided 40 track and a one sided 80 track disk images have the same file length: 409600
So if we have a 409600 byte length MGT file, we cannot know this is a 2 sided 40 track or a one sided 80 track image.
Other emulators can read the image, so, is not corruption or bad formatting, so my assumption is that or FUSE is not following the disk configuration (40 tracks), or it just hate non-conventional disk images. Either way, I think there is room for improvement.
ZXSpin assumes: 2 sided 40 track, Fuse (without the patch) assumes: 1 sided 80 track

I created a one sided 80 track test disk.
ZXSpin:
As you see it fails the same way as the 2 sided 40 track image with Fuse.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

szaszg wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:45 pm I post a patch to https://sourceforge.net/p/fuse-emulator/bugs/424/#8432. You try to compile fuse with this patch... Fuse will ask you about 1 sided or 2 sided the opened disk.
Oh, thanks a lot for taking a look!
szaszg wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:45 pm
These settings related to the emulated disk drives, not to disk images or images "geometry". e.g. if you set "single sided 40 track", then cannot read the second side.. because only one head "exists" in the emulated drive. (Looks like in "real world")
Ah, that explains why I was confused. But what's the catch to also enforce this options on disk images, or at least, change the way FUSE autodetect the images based on this options?
ZXSpin assumes: 2 sided 40 track, Fuse (without the patch) assumes: 1 sided 80 track
Eightyone and SpecEmu are also able to read the images (that's why I thought that perhaps something was wrong on FUSE), so, perhaps all emulators unintentionally standarized to 1 side 40 traks as a default?
Thanks again for taking the time to review this, specially since I'm probably the only one trying to read this kind of images :D
szaszg
Drutt

Post by szaszg »

Ah, that explains why I was confused. But what's the catch to also enforce this options on disk images, or at least, change the way FUSE autodetect the images based on this options?
Yes, it possible... if i'll have some time, i implement such an autodetection.

BTW: you can use .dsk or .udi images for any emulated disk systems... this images store the disk geometry as well... :)