Due to unusually high levels of website traffic you will be presenting with regular Cloudflare checks for the time being.

Is there a Windows tool to split TZX's ?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
saucysarah
Drutt

Is there a Windows tool to split TZX's ?

Post by saucysarah »

Hi. Is there a Windows tool that can split TZX's into multiple TZX's ? I primarily wanted to split the Crash Covertapes into separate files as the Retroarch emulator will only load the first thing on the tape. I found a tool called 'splittzx' which is exactly what I wanted but I can't get it to work. It says it uses Python3 and will split the TZX into multiple TZX's at every 'Program:' that it finds.

Any help or recommendations without having to do it all manually ? :cry:
Arcachnar
Microbot

Re: Is there a Windows tool to split TZX's ?

Post by Arcachnar »

Maybe this? It also tells on how to make a TZX file for just one program;

....make a TZX file for just program, this can be achieved by either:

Re-sampling that one program from cassette tape.Cutting the program data from the digital audio file and submitting that data to maketzx.exe to make a new TZX file.

Re-sampling that one program from cassette tape.Cutting the program data from the digital audio file and submitting that data to maketzx.exe to make a new TZX file.

Here is the link:

https://timwolverson.wordpress.com/2016 ... tzx-files/

I hope this is the thing you are looking for.
saucysarah
Drutt

Post by saucysarah »

Arcachnar wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:57 pm Maybe this? It also tells on how to make a TZX file for just one program;

Here is the link:

https://timwolverson.wordpress.com/2016 ... tzx-files/

I hope this is the thing you are looking for.
Unfortunately I think that's just for converting real tapes to TZX and you have to manually edit the file to separate each program.

What I would like is, for example, I have a TZX file of a Crash Covertape that has 2 games a demo and some Tips on. I want a program that can save each of these as separate TZX's in one fell swoop. As I said, the program SplitTZX is supposed to be able to do this but I can't get it to work.

Does anyone know of any other tool for Windows that can do this without manually saving each program to a TZX, or does anyone know how to get the program I mentioned to work ? :)
presh
Manic Miner

Post by presh »

ZX Block Editor will do the trick
saucysarah
Drutt

Post by saucysarah »

presh wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:04 pm ZX Block Editor will do the trick
So I got that program from Alessando's site. If I load a TZX that has 3 games/demos on, how do I save them all as separate TZX's ? It looks like I still have to manually edit the TZX and save each file separately ?
presh
Manic Miner

Post by presh »

saucysarah wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:27 pm So I got that program from Alessando's site. If I load a TZX that has 3 games/demos on, how do I save them all as separate TZX's ? It looks like I still have to manually edit the TZX and save each file separately ?
Yes. It's pretty quick and painless though!
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Hi @saucysarah

I gave tzxsplit.py a try and it seemed to work. I first created a batch file and put the command in the file, like this:

Batch file name: _tzxsplit.bat

File contents:

tzxsplit "Spectrum Games Compilation Tape 03 - Side 1.tzx"

pause

You could also run tzxsplit directly, but I prefer to use .bat files.

After running this, these files were automagically produced:
"FOOTBALL-001.tzx"
"HF-001.tzx"
"no-name-001.tzx"
"DRK EMPIRE-001.tzx"
"FANTASIA-001.tzx"

The "no-name" file got made because the Program name was blank on one of the loader programs in the collection.

I used one of the TZX files from this compilation:
Games_Compendium

If I remember correctly, Python has to be installed to use these utilities. I already had Python installed so I didn't need to re-iinstall it.
saucysarah
Drutt

Post by saucysarah »

@@cmal

Where did you put the .bat and the source .tzx ? In the tzxtools folder ? I keep getting an error saying -

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'tzxlib'

I have no idea what's going on with this python3 rubbish :?
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

saucysarah wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:40 am @@cmal

Where did you put the .bat and the source .tzx ? In the tzxtools folder ? I keep getting an error saying -

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'tzxlib'

I have no idea what's going on with this python3 rubbish :?
On my side, the .bat file and source .tzx files are both in the tzxtools folder.

Here's the setup that I have:

Top level folder is tzxtools-master
There are 3 folders below that:
docs
tzxlib
tzxtools

docs has a few .md files which are just documentation text files
tzxlib has some .py files (Python files)
tzxtools has all the main .py files, including the tzxsplit.py file. I put the tzx files as well as the .bat files here in this folder.

Did you download the tzxtools-master.zip file?
The folder structure I have is how the tzxtools-master.zip unzipped when I downloaded it from somewhere quite some time ago. I have it running on a thumb drive so it doesn't even need to be on the C drive for it to work.

Here's my copy of tzxtools-master.zip in case you need it. Just unzip it into whichever folder you want it in and the folder structure will be set up.
tzxtools

Before any of this will work, you need to download Python and install it if you haven't done this yet. It's a quick install. I tried these tools before installing Python and I also got some kind of error.

Let me know if you're still not having any luck.
saucysarah
Drutt

Post by saucysarah »

Yep, that's exactly how I did it but I just can't get it to work on my PC (I've also installed Python3). I've decided to do it manually now with ZX-Block Editor as I have noticed that some games etc. have more than one Program block, so tzxsplit would split these up. Thanks for your help anyway! :)