ZX HSC Round 1 - Bomb Jack / Penetrator

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Mousey
Microbot

Re: ZX HSC Round 1 - Bomb Jack / Penetrator

Post by Mousey »

Currently:

Bomb Jack - 1,423,260
Penetrator - 17,890 (not 12,380 as in your table)
akeley wrote:Also, please try to stick to this format for score posting:

GAME NAME - SCORE

...on top of your post.
Apologies, I'm guilty of burying my score in a wall of text (as per my missed Penetrator score a few posts above yours). I'll post more clearly from now on.
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

Just got a new high score on Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack - 199,290 - Rockets past smurphboy and has missiles locked on GreenCard :lol:
Penetrator - 11,120

Although my penetrator score hasn't increased, i finally got to level 5! :)
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Bomb Jack - 106,600.

Finally broke the 100,000 barrier. Really enjoying Bomb Jack - another great game I missed out on back in the day. I've got a long way to go to be remotely competitive though!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Bomb Jack - 85,130
Penetrator - 17,580

Got a new record in Penetrator as I could pass the red level. Next levels don't follow the same order as in the first cycle.

Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Jesus Christ. So much for the
akeley wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:55 pmold farts with Real Life etc, who can't spend 5 hrs per day gaming, like we used to back in the day
There's a constant flow of scores each day and we're barely past half the first week. Is the weather so horrible there, that you don't feel like lazing on the beach or having a picnic in the countryside? :shock:

Anyway, here's my new score at Bomb Jack: 1,619,470. At least I managed to reach half my record score of ten years ago, as I hoped at the start.
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:28 pm Bomb Jack - 85,130
Penetrator - 17,580

Got a new record in Penetrator as I could pass the red level. Next levels don't follow the same order as in the first cycle.

Nice, well done. I'm trying do do the same.
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

Alessandro wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:08 pm
Anyway, here's my new score at Bomb Jack: 1,619,470. At least I managed to reach half my record score of ten years ago, as I hoped at the start.
That's just insane scoring. Another level of Bombjackness. I'm honoured to be in the presence of greatest. <Bows head>
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I'm not going to embarrass myself by publishing my scores, but I'm still trying!
Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

Alessandro wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:08 pmAnyway, here's my new score at Bomb Jack: 1,619,470. At least I managed to reach half my record score of ten years ago, as I hoped at the start.
Wow... I think I'll gracefully concede defeat to the master and hopefully end up with 2nd place.

Well done Alessandro - you've still got it, and I never really doubted that you, er, didn't have it... :)
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Edit: Bomb Jack - 232,830

That's more like it. Just another 1.4-odd million to go!
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

Alessandro wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:08 pm Jesus Christ. So much for the
akeley wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:55 pmold farts with Real Life etc, who can't spend 5 hrs per day gaming, like we used to back in the day
There's a constant flow of scores each day and we're barely past half the first week. Is the weather so horrible there, that you don't feel like lazing on the beach or having a picnic in the countryside? :shock:
I need more dull conference calls, people are passing me!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Freespirit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:30 pm That's just insane scoring. Another level of Bombjackness. I'm honoured to be in the presence of greatest. <Bows head>
And you probably didn't see the scores that were around at the last Speccy Tour! I wouldn't even be in the top five by now :mrgreen:
Mousey wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:53 pm Wow... I think I'll gracefully concede defeat to the master and hopefully end up with 2nd place.

Well done Alessandro - you've still got it, and I never really doubted that you, er, didn't have it... :)
Thanks :D But when my choice of Split Personalities will surface, you will be the master then, and me the challenger ;)
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:28 pm Got a new record in Penetrator as I could pass the red level. Next levels don't follow the same order as in the first cycle.

Unlucky that you got hit on that bit, a couple more seconds and you would've been back home...! :shock:
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

Mousey wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:53 pm
Alessandro wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:08 pmAnyway, here's my new score at Bomb Jack: 1,619,470. At least I managed to reach half my record score of ten years ago, as I hoped at the start.
Wow... I think I'll gracefully concede defeat to the master and hopefully end up with 2nd place.

oh yes, the old 'i'm giving up and coming out with the winning score at the end tactic'. Served me well over the years. :lol:
Last edited by Freespirit on Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Freespirit wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:06 am oh yes, the old 'i'm giving up and coming out with he winning score at the end tactic'. Served me well over the years. :lol:
For me it's more like "I am an old fart with dozens of other things to do so I cannot post 5 scores a day, rather a score every 5 days" etc. :P
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

Alessandro wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:47 am
Freespirit wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:06 am oh yes, the old 'i'm giving up and coming out with he winning score at the end tactic'. Served me well over the years. :lol:
For me it's more like "I am an old fart with dozens of other things to do so I cannot post 5 scores a day, rather a score every 5 days" etc. :P
More important things to do than playing spectrum games does not compute, system overload.....<giant explosion> :lol:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

R-Tape Penetrator 9290

I'd better get the ball rolling with my early pitiful efforts. Yet to pass the hemmed-in green level. I really suck at this without the fire key hack!
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:19 pm R-Tape Penetrator 9290

I'd better get the ball rolling with my early pitiful efforts. Yet to pass the hemmed-in green level. I really suck at this without the fire key hack!
That level is killing me. I thought after a few games i would glide through it, but i'm starting to think the game knows it's me playing and only lets me through that level at a random time. I'm going to check the code now, i'm pretty sure that's it.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

The other problem with the green level (aside from being s0dding difficult) is that there's not much to shoot, so it's got a low scoring/points value.

At least when you die and restart the other levels you can continue to rack up your score.

If you're feeling masochistic, there's a training mode in the second menu, you can use it to practice specific levels...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

Freespirit wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:06 amoh yes, the old 'i'm giving up and coming out with the winning score at the end tactic'. Served me well over the years. :lol:
haha... you saw through my plan to upload my secret best score of 500 million just before the deadline! ;) Seriously though, I'm not even playing Bomb Jack anymore. Just as Alessandro wanted to get at "least half" of his 3 million score, I wanted to improve my 1.1 million HARP score. Now that I have I'm done - plus I genuinely recognise when I'm beaten.

I'm struggling to get the motivation to practice Penetrator. It's a good game but I'm so twitchy on stage 3 that I generally lose careless lives! I have to thank akeley for saying about staying to the right on that stage though; it does help.
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

Bomb Jack: 258900

Pretty pleased with that, but still room to improve.
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

I found the code for level 3

Code: Select all

ld a,User
cp Freespirit
jr z, killhim
Call Completelevel
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Freespirit wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:08 pm I found the code for level 3
You missed a bit:

Code: Select all

ld a,User
cp Freespirit
jr z, killhim
cp RTape
jr z,spoon_it_at_the_first_tight_turn_of_the_green_level
Call Completelevel
RuySan
Drutt

Post by RuySan »

akeley wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:04 pm
RyuSan 236060

I've been using this nickname online for 25 years, and people write it wrong most of the time. I should have gotten the message the first time and changed it to something catchier :D

As for Penetrator, this doesn't support joystick? And the firing is double tapping right, or am I getting it wrong?
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

RuySan wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:34 pm
akeley wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:04 pm
RyuSan 236060

I've been using this nickname online for 25 years, and people write it wrong most of the time. I should have gotten the message the first time and changed it to something catchier :D

As for Penetrator, this doesn't support joystick? And the firing is double tapping right, or am I getting it wrong?
Lol, I'm sorry mate :) it is some sort of videogame conditioning haha. I will get it right the next time.

Control scheme in Penetrator is beyond awful (at least it's my excuse). Firing is quickly tapping P, and moving forward is holding P.
No joystick, but if you're emulating you can probably remap it somehow.

I did but it did not help me much. Control is still jerky. So, [mention]PeterJ[/mention], don't worry about posting your scores, mine is also abysmal (~3000 :)... so just do it :)
It could also encourage some other lurkers, I'm sure there other score-shy folks out there.