WOOT 2020 is out. Happy ZXMAS.

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
cmal
Manic Miner

Re: WOOT 2020 is out. Happy ZXMAS.

Post by cmal »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:02 pm
Morkin wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:17 pm [Edit: Also, for those of you finding this far too easy - give POKE 30039,201 a try...]
And there's the Dinamic Software re-release :lol:
Yikes! That's like catching a fly mid-air with chopsticks.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

cmal wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:19 pm Please go ahead, @R-Tape . A trainer version would be useful. I would need one because my best time is a shameful 19 seconds :oops:
Cheers. Here's a trainer snapshot, with the cage appearing in the same place as clebin's 6 second effort.

The position of the cage can be changed by poking a different value into 30037. It's currently 118. Subtract 1 to move it left, add 1 to move it right, add 32 to move it down a row, subtract 32 to move it up a row.

I'm only saying this in the hope that it might not be so, but 6 seconds really does seem to be the limit...
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

I'm luxy!! A 69 ¿? on my first go
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:07 pm I'm only saying this in the hope that it might not be so, but 6 seconds really does seem to be the limit...
This is as neat as it can be from this location and it's still 6 seconds. I'll see if there's a location on the right which would bring it down a fraction.

clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

I tried your POKE tip [mention]R-Tape[/mention]. If you set it to 254 you can get 5 seconds consistently from this spot, but this surely has to be the absolute minimum...

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I don't know how you do it! Incredible.

That's as far down as that poke will let you go (it's an 8bit poke, can give a 16bit one if desired), but I agree - I'll be more than flabbergasted if 5 seconds can be beat. Maybe we should apply for funding for a PhD project into this.

Also we should build a time machine and go back to tell the twenty years younger cmal to make some changes...

Hello cmal, I'm from the future. In twenty years, middle-aged blokes will play and hack your game to death. Oh and it will be during a global pandemic. Can you reduce the cage check time by a second or two?
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:21 pm
Also we should build a time machine and go back to tell the twenty years younger cmal to make some changes...

Hello cmal, I'm from the future. In twenty years, middle-aged blokes will play and hack your game to death. Oh and it will be during a global pandemic. Can you reduce the cage check time by a second or two?
Hello R-Tape from the future: this is younger cmal. You gotta be kidding! There are thousands of Speccy games even here in early 2000's. Why the heck would anyone want to play a crappy mousetrap game, especially a bunch of old fellas?? Anyway, it's much easier to credit 2 seconds to the player's final score. I think that aught to do it.
Ah, while you're there..real quick, what's the stock price of Amazon?
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Word of advice, younger Clebin: If a stranger approaches you and offers you a game called Mousetrap, just politely say no and walk away. Oh, and in about 2009 you'll want to be getting a graphics card and mining Bitcoins.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Seriously though, [mention]cmal[/mention], it's a fun little game. Ever thought about taking the idea further with different screen layouts/objectives/hazards? I think there could be a lot of mileage in it.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

clebin wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:45 pm Seriously though, @cmal, it's a fun little game. Ever thought about taking the idea further with different screen layouts/objectives/hazards? I think there could be a lot of mileage in it.
Good idea. I've considered it but now that you make mention of it, I might just do it. I have a few ideas on what might work. As long as I can use you for play-testing :)
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

cmal wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:14 pm
clebin wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:45 pm Seriously though, @cmal, it's a fun little game. Ever thought about taking the idea further with different screen layouts/objectives/hazards? I think there could be a lot of mileage in it.
Good idea. I've considered it but now that you make mention of it, I might just do it. I have a few ideas on what might work. As long as I can use you for play-testing :)
Of course, I'd be glad to! :)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

cmal wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:14 pm As long as I can use you for play-testing :)
Aim for: hard for [mention]PeterJ[/mention], incredibly easy for [mention]clebin[/mention]
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:08 pm
cmal wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:14 pm As long as I can use you for play-testing :)
Aim for: hard for @PeterJ, incredibly easy for @clebin
I may need to get another play-tester to even things out. I think [mention]clebin[/mention] will constantly throw it back at me complaining that it's too easy. :lol:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Can I ask what people thought of the 64 column font used in the main magazine?

Was it readable? Did you miss the previous, much neater, proportional font?
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:33 pm Can I ask what people thought of the 64 column font used in the main magazine?

Was it readable? Did you miss the previous, much neater, proportional font?
I thought the font looked nice and tidy and most of the time I had no problem reading it. Now and then I had to re-look at a word to decipher a letter e.g. B could look like an E. But then again, my eyesight isn't what it used to be.
I used an emulator to read it, but I wonder how it would come out on a fuzzy CRT screen where it wouldn't be as crisp.

I didn't notice that the font had changed from the prior year's Woot magazines(which I looked at a few weeks ago), so I went back and compared both. I do find the previous font a bit easier to read.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

cmal wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:54 pm I didn't notice that the font had changed from the prior year's Woot magazines(which I looked at a few weeks ago), so I went back and compared both. I do find the previous font a bit easier to read.
Cheers. I think a more readable proportional font that is nearly 64 chars per line is the way to go.

I dropped FZX for the magazine this time because I was having a nightmare with formatting the proportional font for Desert Island Tapes, and I didn't have time for headaches with the rest of the mag. Hopefully I won't leave things so late this time...
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Like cmal I probably preferred the last one but it was OK.

One thing is that I find it easier to read when it's mixed case rather than all upper case.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com