Christmas high score challenge?

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
clebin
Manic Miner

Re: Christmas high score challenge?

Post by clebin »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:24 am Nope all yours clebin. Great mockup @Jbizzel.
Great stuff! If you want a crack at it in MPAGD by the way @Jbizzel don't let me stop you. There's plenty of scope for different interpretations here so the more the merrier!
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

uglifruit wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:00 am I'll get this is now, so I don't miss deadline, like I did with Freddy.

Yes I know it's a crap score. But I love this game.

I love that you're able to actually pick up gold whilst whizzing past on the trolley. The invulnerability whilst on said trolley. The baddies coming towards you when they have line of sight, so you can drop your gold on them. The precision needed to drop gold into the wheelbarrow (or move it). The hanging from the ceiling hoping that a trolley would come before the baddies. Jumping out of the trolley left or right, or - even better - onto a ladder.

It's brutal, and unfair. But GREAT fun.
Well said! I must admit, getting onto a trolley a split second from death is ace. I feel like I've not got full to grips with everything you can do to survive in this game. It's far from your standard ladders and levels types game.

Lots of different mechanics, the gold drop, the barrow blocking ladders, the mine carts, pick axes.

I think it pays to move between the screens, and not try to clear them one at a time. The sit on the minecart and rude around for awhile when the baddies are too intense.

Definitely mixed feelings about it :)
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

clebin wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:17 am Great stuff! If you want a crack at it in MPAGD by the way @Jbizzel don't let me stop you. There's plenty of scope for different interpretations here so the more the merrier!
Well I'm certainly interested, just to see what it would be like. :D
sn3j
Manic Miner

Post by sn3j »

Back in the day, on a CRT TV there was this color bleeding, at least our TV had it.
I remember especially GG for this effect. The yellow inked bars had this faint golden glow around them, because they were drawn next to black.
POKE 23614,10: STOP      1..0 hold, SS/m/n colors, b/spc toggle
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Those of you who have designs on remaking Gilligan's Gold, whether it's with MPAGD or Z88DK, do yourselves a favour and play the Amstrad CPC version first! Arm yourselves with CaPriCe 32 if you've never tried CPC emulation before (though at this stage, who hasn't?)

That's what you're aiming for. That version actually plays the way the game should. If anything, the bandits are bit bit too stupid - and on my first attempt I was one bag away from clearing the first screen, scoring 39,378 points. There's only one point for moving left or right (none for up or down), the bonus for each bag of gold actually corresponds to what's on the bonus counter (the Spectrum seems to be fixed at 3,000 and it only acts as a timer) and, most of all, pickups actually work the way they're supposed to, there's none of this sloppy "am I going to pick up the gold or not?" If you're over the bag of gold, you'll pick it up, first time, every time. The same goes for the barrow and the pickaxe. And the pickaxe disappears after a while - I couldn't confirm whether or not the Spectrum version does that.

Remember - the Rooskies who remade Crystal Kingdom Dizzy didn't start with a blank slate as to how they were going to improve on the Spectrum version, they took the Amiga version and crammed that into the Spectrum's graphical limitations. Similar tactics should be employed here.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

The Scores are in!

@R-Tape In first place
@Alessandro 2nd
@clebin in 3rd

Well done guys, and thank you to everyone to took part. I had fun learning about a bunch of games I didn't know.

On a side note, weirdly all three games it was possible to cheese the score.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Congrats all Image

Sorry I was not able to partake this time around Image Oh well, there's next year! ImageImageImage

(Sorry wanted to use some of my own 'seasonal' smilies for a change , they needed airing)
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Jbizzel wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:51 pm The Scores are in!

@R-Tape In first place
@Alessandro 2nd
@clebin in 3rd

Well done guys, and thank you to everyone to took part. I had fun learning about a bunch of games I didn't know.

On a side note, weirdly all three games it was possible to cheese the score.
Stewards enquiry! You missed out my GG score (43820) and in fact my (not so good) FH score (35,000).

Is this the first salvo in the Gilligan’s Gold remake tussle? ;)
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

clebin wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:23 pm Stewards enquiry! You missed out my GG score (43820) and in fact my (not so good) FH score (35,000).

Is this the first salvo in the Gilligan’s Gold remake tussle? ;)
oh you are right!! Sorry @clebin, I missed those scores.

that changes things then!!!

@clebin and @R-Tape Joint first.
@Alessandro 2nd
@Jbizzel 3rd

Lol no GG tussle. Although I am working on it today, and have been a bit distracted.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Thanks for organising @Jbizzel. It made me have a proper crack at some old games and I enjoyed it. Even better is that we may get at least one Gilligan's Gold reboot into the bargain. I feel Alessandro should be the winner because he appeared to complete Freddy Hardest as casually as one would complete Bruce Lee.

I hope we're all about with about as much vim and vigour this time next year for more of the same. We may need someone else to organise it, as bizzel may be in a CGC-induced straightjacket by then.
clebin wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:23 pm Stewards enquiry! You missed out my GG score (43820) and in fact my (not so good) FH score (35,000).
Nitpicking :P
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:46 pm Nitpicking :P
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Jbizzel wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:39 pm oh you are right!! Sorry @clebin, I missed those scores.

that changes things then!!!

@clebin and @R-Tape Joint first.
@Alessandro 2nd
@Jbizzel 3rd

Lol no GG tussle. Although I am working on it today, and have been a bit distracted.
Thanks for organising! Good fun as always.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:46 pm Nitpicking :P
Btw - this was a Spinal Tap reference btw. Hope no-one thought I was being serious :)
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:24 pm Btw - this was a Spinal Tap reference btw. Hope no-one thought I was being serious :)
We need a CSCGC entry called 'Shark Sandwich', so I can do a two word review. :D :D Love that film.