Woot 2023 - Submissions wanted

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Woot 2023 - Submissions wanted

Post by R-Tape »

As we're all aware - IT'S NEARLY CHRISTMAS! 114 days to go in fact, so it's time to start thinking about the Woot XMas Tape Magazine.

Pretty much anything is welcome: games, minigames, demos, screens, music, ideas. Exclusive submissions only though please (but a demo version of a game before later release would be fine). Submissions can have a christmas theme or not, and be as serious or as daft as you like. The quality benchmark is just above CGC grade and beyond.

The deadline would be around the 20th December (Xmas day is on a Monday this year), but earlier is always better, as I'll probably leave it all late and be in state of...

Search the archive for "Woot" if you need inspiration, and note that for each year you can download the full bundle from 'additional file downloads'.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Re: Woot 2023 - Submissions wanted

Post by flatduckrecords »

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

Yeaaaaaaah. I will do something little. I can't even imagine December without Woot deadline above my head :lol:
Proud owner of Didaktik M
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

I started something, but then Baldur's Gate 3.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

flatduckrecords wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:16 pm
It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!
I think Elon is trying to copy you. In fact, for all we know, by December, X may be cassette based.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

catmeows wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:59 pm Yeaaaaaaah. I will do something little. I can't even imagine December without Woot deadline above my head :lol:
Hope so, and there's a lot of creative freedom and no pressure with Woot. Your ChaosFX was great fun to tinker with last year.
Mpk wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:13 pm I started something, but then Baldur's Gate 3.
There's still plenty of time (you've already done your Christmas shopping, right?)
ANDREWRYALS
Microbot

Post by ANDREWRYALS »

Blimey, Woot submissions already! It only seems like a 3-4 months since the last one was released.
Dr beep
Manic Miner

Post by Dr beep »

I think this would be a nice emulator to release, but I don't know if I will have it ready as I want it to be,

viewtopic.php?p=120895#p120895
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

ANDREWRYALS wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:20 pmIt only seems like a 3-4 months since the last one was released.

I swear that W00tmas gets earlier every year!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

ANDREWRYALS wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:20 pm Blimey, Woot submissions already! It only seems like a 3-4 months since the last one was released.
flatduckrecords wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:37 pm I swear that W00tmas gets earlier every year!
Are you guys kidding? Things are behind if anything. The news has only just confirmed the Strictly Come Dancing lineup (the official start of the slow painful ramp to Christmas), and there aren't even pumpkins in the shops yet!
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I'd better get on with the house jobs, then! There's an idea for a text adventure I've been sitting on since 2017, and I've since earmarked it for Woot! rather than the CSSCGC (to the eternal annoyance of either @Jbizzel or next year's host). I've always had problems with the mechanics of making text adventures work, but after giving Volker Bartheld a hand with The Ring Of The Inka a couple of years ago, I should remember how his engine works, and he's already said I could rework it.

I will see how it goes; I've got a lot to do that's not Spectrum-related between now and the end of October, maybe longer. But I'll at least squirt out another PLAY jukebox, and hopefully more.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:35 pm The deadline
This is still for Woot 2020 right? Oh. I see.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Amazingly, we've already had a submission!
TMD2003 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:30 pm I'd better get on with the house jobs, then!
That's exactly how I should be setting my priorities, but unfortunately I'll choose to do just about anything before I strip the wallpaper in the study.
Guesser wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:41 pm This is still for Woot 2020 right? Oh. I see.
One word: Horses 2.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:02 pm One word: Horses 2.
I finished one chiptune cover this year that took me* a year, I doubt I'll manage another one by Christmas 😅

*I get distracted...
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

TMD2003 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:30 pmBut I'll at least squirt out another PLAY jukebox
Ah cool, will look forward to hearing 'Dancing mad' this year. :dance

(That counts as one, right?)
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Morkin wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:49 pm Ah cool, will look forward to hearing 'Dancing mad' this year. :dance
...it's not going to be Dancing Mad. But it is very likely that a whole load of other vidyagame music will be featuring.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Just giving this a bump, in case anyone is thinking of submitting. There's already a few games in the bank, and some solid looking mentions of more stuff. Remember - it doesn't need to be anything epic: SCREEN$, minigames, demos and general tidbits are exactly what Woot is about, they can be festive or not.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I'm going to need to dedicate a lot of run time to what I've got planned - so that means getting a few other jobs out the way first. It might be November that I dedicate to it, because it'll be cold and wet outside by then.

Cold inside as well, but that's what gas is for, right? And carbon monoxide alarms.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Look forward to seeing it Jim. It's already cold and wet up here, but I'm so dedicated to avoiding decorating that the Woot cannonball is already trundling.
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

Everything goes according to plan.....

Proud owner of Didaktik M
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

About 2 months to go if anyone is planning to submit :)
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I am, but (a) the Cricket World Cup is getting in the way and (b) I am bereft of inspiration beyond another PLAY jukebox (which I'll do anyway).

Anyone got any bright ideas?
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Going to have to wait until after Crash Live before I can start work, but might be able to put something together in a hurry. I have persmission off someone who did an online game to try a Speccy port...

Asking now though if someone can do me a loading screen? I'm thinking of something that looks like a huge gold coin with fancy gold lettering over it. The title should look a bit like and invoke 'The 7th Voyage of Sinbad', but that's not the title. But it's the 'look-and-feel' to go for... Mysterious, huh?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Joefish wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:58 am Asking now though if someone can do me a loading screen? I'm thinking of something that looks like a huge gold coin with fancy gold lettering over it. The title should look a bit like and invoke 'The 7th Voyage of Sinbad', but that's not the title. But it's the 'look-and-feel' to go for... Mysterious, huh?
Fingers crossed for this one; sounds interesting.

Hopefully you get some interest from a resident artist, but some of the stock footage on the net looks ripe for a bit of cleaning up...

Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Is that 50 Drachmas an example of your art, or your fee? :lol: