Problem with ZXBaremulator + Recreated ZX

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
kd0082
Drutt

Problem with ZXBaremulator + Recreated ZX

Post by kd0082 »

Hi, I'm having some strange issues with ZX Baremulator on a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B and a recreated ZX Spectrum Keyboard. I've made some searches and read a lot of tutorials and documentation prior to post this, just to be sure of following instructions correctly.

Basically I've done this:

- I've went to the official emulator web and downloaded the "allfiles" zip.
- Made a clean install of Raspbian lite 32bit on a fresh 32gb MicroSD card
- Copied all the files/games to the SD and replaced files when asked in the boot partition.
- My PSU is 2A output and tested some others that I have in my house with the same power output.

The result is that I see the "bolt" icon in upper right corner indicating missing power and the ZX Recreated keyboard just doesn't work. The most important observation is that I just plug the recreated spectrum keyboard, no other devices, and I have a message that says "you need a GPIO connected keyboard", both in A and B modes, no difference. As far as I've read, the Recreated ZX Spectrum should work out of the box with this emulator, just plugging in and booting the Pi.

- Tried the "usbpowerdelay=100" trick, didn't work.
- Tried different PSUs with same output, no changes.
- The Recreated Spectrum is my usual keyboard on my RPI 4, so it works perfectly, and also tried on PC (windows & linux Debian) and Raspbian on the same RPI 2 Model B, it works with no problems.
- Tried the emulator with my Krom Kluster Keyboard and it works but it not responds to long press on keys (I.E. if you want to move forward on Phantomas game, it will make just one step until you press it again and again and...so you move really slow and not continuously).

Any ideas? I'm really liking the project and playing with my ZX keyboard would be a dream for me, but I'm running out of ideas. I'm adding the photo
adam
Drutt

Re: Problem with ZXBaremulator + Recreated ZX

Post by adam »

I've just tried with my own on a Pi 3B and get the same result. I'm guessing the RS just requires too much power (it also works fine on another computer). Are you able to test it with a powered USB hub? I don't have one to hand but may be able to at the weekend.
kd0082
Drutt

Post by kd0082 »

Interesting data. So, the RZX leeches a lot of power then, I didn't expect that :) ...I have a USB Hub bit it's not powered unfortunately, it takes power from the RPI. Guess I should use a much more powerful PSU?
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

kd0082 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:37 pm
The result is that I see the "bolt" icon in upper right corner indicating missing power and the ZX Recreated keyboard just doesn't work. The most important observation is that I just plug the recreated spectrum keyboard, no other devices, and I have a message that says "you need a GPIO connected keyboard", both in A and B modes, no difference. As far as I've read, the Recreated ZX Spectrum should work out of the box with this emulator, just plugging in and booting the Pi.
I think the author explained earlier in the thread why that message is appeared.
My solution was, to keep the wireless keyboard usb dongle plugged in and the emulator no longer complained with that message.

btw, the "bolt" icon usually means that the power supply is not strong enough.
kd0082
Drutt

Post by kd0082 »

Pegaz wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:20 pm I think the author explained earlier in the thread why that message is appeared.
My solution was, to keep the wireless keyboard usb dongle plugged in and the emulator no longer complained with that message.

btw, the "bolt" icon usually means that the power supply is not strong enough.
So, that can be the problem, missing power...interesting, thanks for the insight. :D

BTW, the Recreated Spectrum is being used with cables, no USB BT dongle, and still it says the same...strange. But I think that it can be because of the power supply, when I have one with enough power, I'll try again. Maybe needs even more electrical power?
adam
Drutt

Post by adam »

Only just saw these replies. I've given it another go with a powerful 2A PSU, and with a wireless dongle connect, with and without the batteries inside the Recreated keyboard, but without success. It looks like this particular way of playing Speccy just ins't going to work :-(
adam
Drutt

Post by adam »

PS It's a shame the author became disillusioned with it, as it would have been great to see this project develop, and definitely to see it come out for the Pi4 and Pi400.
kd0082
Drutt

Post by kd0082 »

Well, I finally bought an "official RPI PSU". The results: I can at last using the Recreated ZX Keyboard in "A Mode"...but has to be attached to ANOTHER USB keyboard with additional USB ports (fortunately I have the official RPI one and I can use it without much trouble, just the hassle of two keyboards).

I think that I will try to make a "basic bare keyboard" with the help of my fiancé. She made a "keyboard" with 4 directions and 2 keys for playing Project Diva on PC without a control pad, and I think I will ask her for help for something similar but with those exact keys for minimum space and a USB port for connecting the Recreated keyboard, based on this screenshot (the rest of normal functions can be made with the RZX Keyboard) :

ALT
"K" letter
F1
F2
F3
F4
F8
F9
PAUSE
CTRL
SPACE
⬆️
⬇️

What do you think? I would try to make it as small as possible, and even keys like Space would be the size of a normal key, not a rectangle. My idea is that should not be much bigger than two Sinclair Micro Drive Readers or two Kempston Interfaces long. But I will see how it goes this...

Seriously, I'm loving this emulator, a pity that for now there will not be more updates, but this thing has a special charm :)