Tapes on TZX Vault but not here

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Tapes on TZX Vault but not here

Post by SkoolKid »

Is there any collaboration between the TZX Vault and ZXDB/this site?

Just wondering because there were/are tapes over there that aren't here. Olga 1 was one example. The Spectre of Larry Horsfield (no tape here) is another.

I can probably find others, too, if anyone's interested.
SkoolKit - disassemble a game today
Pyskool - a remake of Skool Daze and Back to Skool
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Tapes on TZX Vault but not here

Post by PeterJ »

Hi @SkoolKid,

Please let us know of anything that you find. If you feel comfortable with using the preservation tools it's easy to upload files for existing entries. Let me know if you want any help.

@Einar Saukas certainly works with Steve Brown. Trouble is that I don't believe that site is database driven, so it's probably a manual exercise. I'm going through a similar exercise with Type Fantastic.

Thanks for letting us know.

Peter
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Post by SkoolKid »

PeterJ wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:26 pm Please let us know of anything that you find. If you feel comfortable with using the preservation tools it's easy to upload files for existing entries. Let me know if you want any help.
I haven't used the preservation tools before, but I'll give them a try later, and post back here if I run into trouble. Thanks.
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Post by SkoolKid »

OK, I'm stumped. :oops:

On the "Add new files for existing ZXDB title/entry" form, what do I enter into the "ZXDB existing title/entry (fulltext)" field? I've tried the Infoseek ID (16695) and the full name (The Spectre of Larry Horsfield), but either way when I click "Upload file" I get the error message "Selected title/entry is invalid (ID not found)".
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

PeterJ wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:26 pm @Einar Saukas certainly works with Steve Brown. Trouble is that I don't believe that site is database driven, so it's probably a manual exercise. I'm going through a similar exercise with Type Fantastic.
In this case, to avoid multiple people going through the same fun: we should determine some kind of ruleset for the TZX Vault and Type Fantastic entries (if they don't have unique IDs, even a URL or "line number" might be enough). Then we could make a list and people could work through it methodically. -- Thanks to everyone who does.

(In the worst case, download 'em all and <s>let God sort 'em out</s> compare checksums.)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

SkoolKid wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:29 pm On the "Add new files for existing ZXDB title/entry" form, what do I enter into the "ZXDB existing title/entry (fulltext)" field? I've tried the Infoseek ID (16695) and the full name (The Spectre of Larry Horsfield), but either way when I click "Upload file" I get the error message "Selected title/entry is invalid (ID not found)".
When you start typing "The Spectre of Larry Horsfield", you should see a list of matching options immediately below. Click on the option you want, even if there's only 1 match. Afterwards you will be able to upload files.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

equinox wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:44 amTZX Vault and Type Fantastic entries (if they don't have unique IDs, even a URL or "line number" might be enough).
All titles from Type Fantastic should already exist in ZXDB. Although most of them are missing files.

When uploading files, please be careful: there are lots of different type-ins with exactly the same title. Sometimes published in different issues of the same magazine!

This link may be useful:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/typeins.php
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Yes, it's finding the missing files that I'm mainly doing! It's a case of checking the title, author, magazine, issue and page number. Whilst the data in Type Fantastic is good, it's not perfect.

Whilst most titles are already in ZXDB as Einar says, Type Fantastic does not reference all issues of some magazines. Some issues of these magazines have
come to light since Type Fantastic was last updated.

It's never quite as simple! Neil is doing a great job cataloguing other issues not on Type Fantastic.

Example...

SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Post by SkoolKid »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:47 am When you start typing "The Spectre of Larry Horsfield", you should see a list of matching options immediately below.
Well there it is - I was pasting the name into the field, not typing it! (It would never have occurred to me that that was the problem. Maybe adding a note along the lines of "Type one character at a time, don't paste" would help other unwary visitors.)

TZX for "The Spectre of Larry Horsfield" (from TZX Vault) uploaded. Hopefully it worked...
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Post by SkoolKid »

The TZX Vault has some tapes for titles that ZXDB deems "distribution denied". Would it be OK to upload those too?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi @SkoolKid,

You could do with the hope that one day the author or company will provide permission. Whilst they are flagged as denied there will not be a download link against the entry though.

I'm planning on appealing to Steve Wilcox again in the near future.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

SkoolKid wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:41 am Well there it is - I was pasting the name into the field, not typing it!
It also works with copy/pasting.

Try copy/pasting "The Spectre of Larry Horsfield", wait a second for the matching option to appear, then click on it.
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Post by SkoolKid »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:02 pm It also works with copy/pasting.

Try copy/pasting "The Spectre of Larry Horsfield", wait a second for the matching option to appear, then click on it.
No, that doesn't work for me (I've tried in both Firefox and Chromium). No results appear until I press a key in the field after pasting (e.g. down arrow).