Tripping Hazards

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Tripping Hazards

Post by 1024MAK »

Alright, who just tripped over the lead to the Spectrum Computing server?

There I was browsing, the next second Safari is getting all leery about the site being the biggest security risk ever….!

Glad it’s back now, my heart rate can come back down from a supersonic frequency…

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Tripping Hazards

Post by PeterJ »

Mark,

You may not have been on the site earlier in the day, but I announced via the banner system at 7am that the weekly update would start at 8pm and as normal the site goes down. This is because I have to disable the Cloudflare service and the Secure Certificate because of timeout issues. There are the remains of the old certificate which is proving harder than hoped to remove. This is why you see the warnings. Once I turn on Cloudflare again, everything returns to normal.

Whilst it's not ideal to take the site down, thanks to @Einar Saukas tweaking the SQL script it's normally finished in less than 30 minutes. I don't do updates during weekends or other busy periods.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Well, that’s another mystery then (quick, call Scooby Doo and them meddling kids).

Because I have been on the forums multiple times earlier today. Both in the morning (at least once) and afternoon (at least three times). But I never noticed any banner about the site maintenance.

Unless of course it only showed on the forum home page. I normally use the active topics page.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

It's on the index page only to avoid bombarding users with banners on every page. The only options are index page, or all pages.

If you see the error page again, you will at least know what the issue is likely to be.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I always see the big lobster coloured message on forum home. I still brick it when I try and use the site during that half hour though.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

1024MAK wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:24 pm Alright, who just tripped over the lead to the Spectrum Computing server?
Actually did this (tripped over the cable and killed the sound) at a Goth music night once. The sinking feeling in the stomach. I semi-knew the DJ and had tripped while walking away from talking to him, so I am sure he felt more pity than rage.
Anyway those bloody things are designed to fall out, they're like RAM-packs, right? RIGHT? RIGHT?

Thanks again to everyone keeping the light-bulbs on around here.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

To be fair, if it were my SQL being run, the site would be down for a week...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Morkin wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:17 am To be fair, if it were my SQL being run, the site would be down for a week...
"My SQL"?

Blind screenreader users starting to switch to Postgre...