A loader demo. (manic water)

On the creation of AY or Beeper music, including the packages used to do so.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

A loader demo. (manic water)

Post by uglifruit »

Here's a little 'demo' (I suppose) of me making a loading tune. Questionable as to where this belongs in the music forum!

HERE

(Turn off the flash loading, and listen to it load).
CLEAR 23855
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Re: A loader demo. (manic water)

Post by TMD2003 »

Well executed. Next (software) project: further loading blocks as Willy loses lives, the pitch drops, and the notes fall out of tune...
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

If you don't want to load it yourself, video of it in action here...
https://youtu.be/CnCfioSB5RM
CLEAR 23855
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

That's really cool. Was it done by eye and ear trial and error, or was any maths involved?
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

I wrote a program to write an arbitrary set of bits either on-or-off. So given 3,4 it'll write '11100001 11000011 10000111 00001110' etc. (Which was a bit of a pain to do!)

The added a counter as to how long it'd last (with 1's lasting twice as long as 0's)

Then wrote, what I suppose you'd call a memory loader, where a Data string (3,4) (1,6) (2,2) (14,1) etc would each be written to last the same amount of time.

The did lots of permutations, recorded the results, and by ear mapped which ones were closest to actual notes (some notes weren't ever quite created 'in tune').

Then put the data for the notes I wanted in, and ran the "load it into the screen memory" thing. For this I just used the bottom third of the screen. By default though I was using it all+attributes.

So a combination of masses of work. Some by ear. Loads of effort. Very little reward.

I think I'll refine and might make something more like a step sequencer, or at least make myself some meaningful equ statements for my ASM.
Last edited by uglifruit on Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CLEAR 23855
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

I know people have done this kind of thing before, but I've no idea what approach they've taken... I'm all about reinventing the wheel!
CLEAR 23855
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

uglifruit wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:31 pm Here's a little 'demo' (I suppose) of me making a loading tune. Questionable as to where this belongs in the music forum!

HERE

(Turn off the flash loading, and listen to it load).

Brilliant!!