Sinclair ZX Printer

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Marcus7
Drutt

Sinclair ZX Printer

Post by Marcus7 »

Hello

I have a Sinclair ZX Printer that I am tring to repair.

one of the photo diodes is faulty, does anyone know what the part number is for the diode or a equvalent that could be used in place?

Thank You
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Re: Sinclair ZX Printer

Post by 1024MAK »

Are you in the U.K.?

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Marcus7
Drutt

Post by Marcus7 »

Hi Mark,

Yes I'm in the UK.
Shropshire

Marc
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

If you get desperate, I have a board from a ZX Printer that I don’t need, I could remove the phototransistor.

The LED is likely an Infra Red (IR) type. To tell, either use a camera (that doesn’t have an IR filter, test using a IR remote control) to see if it’s lighting up. Or measure the voltage across it.

If the LED is an IR type, then a phototransistor that is sensitive to IR light (rather than visible light) is all you need. Looking at the circuit, it doesn’t look like it’s anything special. So anything similar should do. I may even have one in my bit box.

Or you should be able to get something similar from any respectable electronic supplier.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Here’s a link to a datasheet that provides useful information on some of the types available.

Mark
“There are four lights!”