Looking at the memory while its being emulated

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Looking at the memory while its being emulated

Post by Wall_Axe »

I'm looking for an emulator that shows the RAM...... but all of it on one screen. I need a superficial overview of basically how big a game is. To know how much RAM I have left.
The one in FUSE is pretty normal but you have to spend ages scrolling to see an overview of what is going on. Also it would be nice to have the numbers in decimal instead of hex.( ie: 32684 is nice and easy to understand immediately)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: Looking at the memory while its being emulated

Post by Ralf »

I dont know about emulator that would show all memory dynamically while running the game.
And how should it show it? As numbers, as graphics, as ASCII characters?

If you are writing a program and want to know how much memory is left, just use some pseudoinstruction
at the end of your code that would display to you during compiling the current memory cell address.

In Sjasm assembler it could be:

DISPLAY /D,$

It won't work well, however, if you write a lot of data to memory to some buffers or a stack.

And what is your case?
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

You can create memory map file. When you save it, file contains all the RAM, with flags where was code executed, memory read/written.
Then you can explore that file, and find not used areas.
For example, in SpecEmu it is Tools->Memory map->Save
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

I'm not sure it would ever show you want you want, even if it existed.

Unlike a "modern" computer there's no concept of allocated and unallocated memory, nothing zeroing out "free" space. Starting from a zerod out memory map you might see how much is never written to, but you can't really tell how much is actively in use.

A heat map would be more useful.
andydansby
Microbot

Post by andydansby »

The "SPUD" Emulator https://aquarius.je/emulators/ by Richard Chandler actually has this feature. In Menu Tools > Memory Map. Has a graphical representation of the memory map that's live during emulation. Red Pixels are being activity used and black pixels are static at the time. It's actually pretty neat to see games running with this feature on.

Cheers
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

Thanks for all the answers I'll check out spud first as it's the most immediately available solution