The best Speccy game by Durell: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Poll ended at Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:15 am

Combat Lynx
2%
Critical Mass
2%
Deep Strike
No votes
Fat Worm Blows A Sparky
4%
Harrier Attack!
5%
Jungle Trouble
No votes
Saboteur!
29%
Saboteur II
5%
Scuba Dive
7%
Sigma 7
No votes
Thanatos
11%
Turbo Esprit
35%

Total votes: 55

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

They're still going! But, um, nowhere in this poll will you find an option for their 'comprehensive industry-specific software solution for general insurance brokers and financial advisers', because I tried loading it into a 128K last night and got a '4 Out of memory, 0:1' error message. Otherwise, you know it'd have thrashed Saboteur!

Anyway, here's the poll..

Combat Lynx

Critical Mass

Deep Strike

Fat Worm Blows A Sparky

Harrier Attack!

Jungle Trouble

Saboteur!

Saboteur II

Scuba Dive

Sigma 7

Thanatos

Turbo Esprit
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Re: The best Speccy game by Durell: vote

Post by Matt_B »

1. Saboteur
2. Turbo Esprit
3. Combat Lynx

Honourable mentions go to... everything else, other than Jungle Trouble. I never got on at all with that game.
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

Thanatos.

Thought about Turbo Esprit also but where both games.are technical marvels, Thanatos has a few more tricks up.its sleeve and is more fun to play now. TE hasn't aged all that well.

No idea what you lot see in Saboteur. It looks good but the gameplay is slow and clunky. The worst combat in any fighting game.
MarkRJones1970
Microbot

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Mark R. Jones

Ex-Ocean Software graphic artist -
Download my FREE PDF 'LOAD DIJ DIJ' (180,000+ words): https://ko-fi.com/i/IG2G3BEJZP
ZX Art page: https://zxart.ee/eng/authors/m/mark-r-jones/
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

I was just wondering why there is no Chain Reaction on the list.
Itis an official sequel to Critical Mass, but the game is most interesting because the 128k version has an "unplanned" easter egg.
Due to a bug in the game, its not possible to hear the beautiful Jean-Michel Jarre tune, adapted by Rob Hubbard and a Poke is needed as a fix.
As always, I will vote for the games I played the most, so:
1. Critical Mass
2. Turbo Esprit
3. Thanatos
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

Those links all explain why they are not in the poll.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Chain Reaction must’ve been released after Durrell sold it’s stuff to Elite but it was released under the Durrell name, so I suppose that probably should’ve been in the poll out of those 3, I suppose.
Last edited by redballoon on Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Post by ParadigmShifter »

I came here to vote for their Client Relationship Management (CRM) software for the General Insurance and Financial Services industries so was disappointed to find it was Speccy games only :(

I love how vague it all is, it's like a game in itself finding out what they are selling these days.

EDIT: I only owned Combat Lynx and only played Harrier Attack otherwise out of those... didn't they do Scuba Dive as well? (YES - read the OP lol) (Which had nice graphics). Combat Lynx best of those I think.
Stu
Manic Miner

Post by Stu »

Pegaz wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:11 am I was just wondering why there is no Chain Reaction on the list.
Itis an official sequel to Critical Mass, but the game is most interesting because the 128k version has an "unplanned" easter egg.
Due to a bug in the game, it’s not possible to hear the beautiful Jean-Michel Jarre tune, adapted by Rob Hubbard and a Poke is needed as a fix.
The game’s source indicates there should have been a music credit on the title screen which isn’t in the release version -- looking at it in a hex editor shows it was crudely patched out with space characters, so I suspect it was deliberately removed at a late stage (due to copyright worries?) rather than being bugged.

Image Image
Last edited by Stu on Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

redballoon wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:41 am Chain Reaction must’ve been released after Durrell sold it’s stuff to Elite but it was released under the Durrell name, so I suppose that probanbky should’ve been in the poll out of those 3, I suppose.
Yeah, it’s definitely a Durrell game. The original news release for it in YS mentions it alongside Saboteur II and Thanatos, but it sounds like it was delayed to the point where Elite were doing the distribution part, however it was marketed as a Durrell game.

redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

I was looking at my actual copy of Chain Reaction as I replied! I forgot I could’ve just looked at the inlay section in SC!
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

1. Saboteur
2. Turbo Esprit
3. Saboteur 2
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

The best Speccy software house? Could be.

Anyway, I've gone for
1) Turbo Esprit, years ahead of its time. Knock a dude off his ladder. Hilarious.
2) Thanatos. Grab a dude with your mighty talons, drop him again from a great height. Hilarious.
3) Saboteur. Hard to spell, but you can murder a dog. Hilarious?
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Right then, to address the Chain Reaction thing...

First off, I always do a 'The best Speccy game by [software label]: discussion' post seven days before the poll begins properly, and this is no exception. These discussion threads are to iron out any issues - sometimes I miss a game or too, sometimes I suggest a game that doesn't really meet the qualification to included. Here's the discussion thread for Durell and nobody brought up the issue of a lack of Chain Reaction.

Also, this site counts it as an Elite game. Now, I am prepared to accept the argument that it's certainly sold as a Durell game, as several posts here have definitely proved the point and I think it should be included. (Plus, I never included it when I did the Elite poll, the right thing to do.) Alas, I can't edit this poll.

Should I just consider this poll null and void and start a proper one with Chain Reaction included?
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Nah, let the poll carry on…nobody is going to vote for it anyway ;)
@PeteProdge
I’d just like to add that the time and effort you’re putting into these is outstanding. Thanks and keep up it up!
Last edited by redballoon on Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Post by ParadigmShifter »

You took a mystery and made me want it
You got a pedestal and put me on it
You made me love you out of feeling nothing
Something that you do
Oh, and I was there, not dancing with anyone
You took a little, then you took me over
You set your mark on stealing my heart away
Crying, trying, anything for you
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

redballoon wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:23 am Nah, let the poll carry on…nobody is going to vote for it anyway ;)
I've no idea how unpopular it is/was!

I mean, obviously, Saboteur, Turbo Esprit or Thanatos would be the popular choices by some margin. If I had to bet on an outcome, I was going to say Saboteur (also my choice), but it turns out Turbo Esprit is way ahead (not that I'm complaining, that's also a really cracking game, I guess it's deserved really).

If Chain Reaction is that bad, then yeah, let's keep this poll going. But do add Chain Reaction in your 'top three' proportional votes if it applies of course.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:24 am You took a mystery and made me want it
You got a pedestal and put me on it
You made me love you out of feeling nothing
Something that you do
Oh, and I was there, not dancing with anyone
You took a little, then you took me over
You set your mark on stealing my heart away
Crying, trying, anything for you
Very good!

And I do often wonder what software label of the Speccy era can be considered the 'Motown' of them all? (Yeah, my head is filled with very bizarre comparisons that are often illogical.)
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Just as an aside, I’m intrigued by this also known as “Critical Mass 2” for Chain Reaction, which is something I’ve never heard of until this morning. Had this ever been confirmed? I can’t see any mention of Critical Mass in any Chain Reaction adverts or documents, there seems to be no link in the plots and the only link seems to be nuclear terms, slight overlapping of plot elements and they’re both published by the same company…so where has this Chain Reaction is the sequel to Critical Mass come from?
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Scuba Dive
Turbo Esprit
Saboteur

Harrier Attack would be number 4.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:21 am Also, this site counts it as an Elite game.
It seems as though the database should be corrected, and the publisher changed to Durell.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Rorthron wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:15 pm It seems as though the database should be corrected, and the publisher changed to Durell.
Yep, agreed.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

1 - Saboteur!
2 - Thanatos
3 - Jungle Trouble

It's looking like an interesting one between Saboteur and Turbo Esprit. It's an easy first place for me: the graphics, the atmosphere, the big subway train, and it's completable - Saboteur!! (added exclamation to emphasise just how good it is)

The bloody big dragon sprite is doing most of the heavy lifting to get Thanatos into second place.

And sorry, I had to vote Jungle Trouble for third. No accounting for taste eh.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

!!!!Warning!!!! Some comments in the following post may offend!!!

I don't like either of the Saboteur games!!!

1 - Turbo Esprit
2 - Scuba Dive
3 - Combat Lynx
sn3j
Manic Miner

Post by sn3j »

Saboteur because of the big sprites and their realistic animations. The stippled textures sometimes made my eyes hurt but that's greatly outweighed by the gameplay.
POKE 23614,10: STOP      1..0 hold, SS/m/n colors, b/spc toggle