Did you VERIFY your programs after saving on tape?

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Did you VERIFY your programs after saving on tape?

Post by equinox »

Well, did you, punk?
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Re: Did you VERIFY your programs after saving on tape?

Post by 1024MAK »

At first, no. Then of course eventually, when trying to LOAD back in, got the dreaded tape loading error…

So then, I SAVEd my masterwork twice (on the same tape), then went back and verified the first copy.

Till I got lazy…

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

To clarify: this sounds like "did you keep backups?" BUT that's not what I mean.

SAVE "x" (insert tape 2) SAVE "x"
This is just general keeping of backups (or, as they probably called it in the 1980s, 'father' and 'grandfather' copies).

That is different from SAVE "x": VERIFY "x"
That one suggests that you don't even trust the damn tape you are writing to.

I hate that a token slot was wasted on the VERIFY keyword. They should have done it like LOAD "x" VAL and it could have printed 0 for good and 1 for bad. Or vice versa. Then we'd have a spare keyword available for something really important, like BAND (binary and): have you tried to read the keyboard properly in BASIC, ouchie! (Also, squandering a UDG on the awful SPECTRUM keyword on 128s was idiotic, when you can do it with LOAD-SAVE, but that's another rant. lol)
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

equinox wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:55 pm That is different from SAVE "x": VERIFY "x"
That one suggests that you don't even trust the damn tape you are writing to.
ah yes... microdrive...
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Rarely, but I had a good quality tapedeck and reasonable blank cassettes (both WHSmith branded which was surely a sign of quality).

I don't really remember having issues loading things back. Well until I had a microdrive, because they were crap.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

equinox wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:40 pm Well, did you, punk?
Nope.
Van_Dammesque
Manic Miner

Post by Van_Dammesque »

Just once to see what it did, then never after that.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

equinox wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:40 pm Well, did you, punk?
LOAD "yeschad" SCREEN$
equinox wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:55 pm I hate that a token slot was wasted on the VERIFY keyword. They should have done it like LOAD "x" VAL and it could have printed 0 for good and 1 for bad. Or vice versa. Then we'd have a spare keyword available for something really important, like BAND (binary and): have you tried to read the keyboard properly in BASIC, ouchie! (Also, squandering a UDG on the awful SPECTRUM keyword on 128s was idiotic, when you can do it with LOAD-SAVE, but that's another rant. lol)
If there was a BAND, then there'd at least need to be a BOR as well (and probably a BXOR). As it's possible to make all five other logic gates from NANDs, then BOR and BXOR could be done with a series of NOT BANDs strung together in a DEF FN, but (a) would you want to write that and (b) how slow would it be?

SPECTRUM at least had more uses on the +3 and even more still on the Next, so... I can live with 19 UDGs. Besides, you need more, define a new character set instead and use that. Or write two or three banks of UDGs and a bit of really rudimentary machine code to LDIR each one in place as required. (Not that I could have done that until I was in my 40s, but still...)
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

If you ask me, I'd only verify stuff when it's important not to lose it, like some of the type-in stuff.

I wouldn't verify any of the game tapes obviously.

I'd say there's no point of verifying things if there's nothing important in them. Because that would just costs too much time for nothing.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

I used to , with things I was writing. Most of the time at least.

A decent tape deck and half decent tapes (I used to use mainly the Boots yellow/back C15's) seemed to go a long way towards reliability.

I never really can recall having many (any?) issues loading commercial tapes most of the time either.

The 'rebranded' Dixons unit (I do somewhere have its actual 'real' name***) similar to one of the Acorn units was extremely reliable for me.

EDIT... OK...

Acorn ANF03

Alba R170

Dixons TR30 (the one I had)

They are all more or less the same with minor internal differences and port changes. Possibly different AGC as the Acorn one I tried once was not good at all (on the Speccy or a BBC)
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Van_Dammesque wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:30 am Just once to see what it did, then never after that.
lol, reminds me of ****ing up the new nice PC, then thinking "oh god, it has a hard drive, and now it's stuck in 16-colour mode forever" ( somehow i broke the 256 colours)
we speccy nerds thought that hitting the reset button would solve everything.