The best Speccy game by Audiogenic: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Poll ended at Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:45 pm

Emlyn Hughes Arcade Quiz
No votes
Emlyn Hughes International Soccer
60%
Exterminator
7%
Graham Gooch's Test Cricket
No votes
Helter Skelter
7%
Impact
No votes
Lone Wolf - The Mirror Of Death
13%
Loopz
13%
World Class Rugby
No votes

Total votes: 15

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Re: The best Speccy game by Audiogenic: vote

Post by hitm4n »

Loopz
Impact
Exterminator
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Since I am an unsporting nerd, all the sport games (Hughes, Gooch, rugby) can be eliminated off the... well... "bat". That helps.

Helter Skelter... Ah, I started doing an RZX of this game a while ago. Quite fun, but difficult. After you beat the large set of levels, it goes back to the first one, but now all the platforms are invisible. Argh! It became insanely hard. I see that my last RZX rollback snapshot was on 31 December last year... haha. Maybe some day I'll get back to it.

I don't recognise Exterminator but it looks quite cool and has good reviews. I must check it out. Not voting until/unless I do.

I remember the Breakout clone Impact being all right, but nothing too memorable. (That loading screen is absolutely horrible, and I have reason to believe it was knocked up in Icon Graphix in ten minutes.) I also remember playing Lone Wolf, which IIRC had quite good graphics and consisted of a series of interesting "combat encounters", à la Barbarian.

Loopz seemed to be heavily advertised, or bundled? I know I've seen it around a lot... or am I confusing it with Ocean's Gutz? Oh dear. The SC archive screenshot looks very, very much like Insector Hecti.

Interesting tit-bit from Wikipedia: the original (pre-software) Audiogenic was founded in 1975 as a recording studio in Reading. I guess "audiogenic" is supposed to mean "sound-producing", like "carcinogenic" means "cancer-producing" -- though actually it means "caused by sound" (audiogenic seizures).
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

1 Helter Skelter
2 Emlyn Hughes International Soccer
3 Lone Wolf - Mirror Of Death
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

1. Lone Wolf. Great game. Good reviews, and actually a great game too.
2. EHIS. I'm not into footy games but this one looks good. (But I could be wrong here.)
3. Helter Skelter. Good arcade puzzle game but very hard to aim at the correct monster.
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

1. Emlyn Hughes International Soccer
2. Exterminator
3. Helter Skelter
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Quite rightly, Emlyn Hughes International Soccer - which is the best football game on the Spectrum ever - tops this poll. (And don't go near Emlyn Hughes Arcade Quiz, which... is by the far worst game Audiogenic made and one of the worst games of all time.) 9 votes!

Joint second place: Lone Wolf - The Mirror Of Death and Loopz, 2 votes each.

Joint third place: Exterminator and Helter Skelter, 1 vote each.

Similar stuff on the proportional results:

Emlyn Hughes International Soccer 7
Helter Skelter 5
Lone Wolf - The Mirror Of Death 4
Exterminator 3
Loopz 3
Impact 2
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!