DJ-set

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
Oloturia
Manic Miner

DJ-set

Post by Oloturia »

Recently (because of reasons... maybe I'll tell the whole story one day) I started DJ-setting with some retro (not only, but mainly) chiptunes. Most of the music I use comes from Amiga cracktros and demos, but I have also some Spectrum's AYs. People liked 'em a lot so I decided to continue.
I played twice in a squat (fun fact: the last time I was beaten by a drunk/stoned girl with an enormous tree branch, what a night) but the next venues where I'm going to play are just normal places.

So here comes my question: what is the legal status of demo's music? I'm not getting paid at the moment, and I don't want to pay a fine for breaking copyrights.
I mean, if I pick the music from a demo (or a game) on the database, am I allowed to use the music (as long as I play for free) just extending the legal status of the dump file? Also, I see that a lot of the demos have "free but copyrighted" status. Does this prevents any further use of the demo? Or I have just to cite the name somehow during the performance?
p13z
Manic Miner

Re: DJ-set

Post by p13z »

If you aren't playing a gig where you are being asked for setlists in regard to PRS, then just do what you like. Copyright issues are for venue owners / license holders.
( This answer is in terms of legalities - how you credit people in terms of morality is also up to you, unless you really think you are likely to be sued by the original composers ).
If you are being asked for setlists for PRS (not often the case) - then just give the setlist with composers to the best of your knowledge.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

This sounds totally awesome :-) Would LOVE to see footage of any kind of public performance of chiptune demos, especially if anyone is grooving to it!
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

p13z wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:18 pm If you aren't playing a gig where you are being asked for setlists in regard to PRS, then just do what you like. Copyright issues are for venue owners / license holders.
( This answer is in terms of legalities - how you credit people in terms of morality is also up to you, unless you really think you are likely to be sued by the original composers ).
If you are being asked for setlists for PRS (not often the case) - then just give the setlist with composers to the best of your knowledge.
Ah I forgot to say that I live in Italy :D but probably it's not very different because PRS and its Italian counterpart, SIAE, are on a reciprocal agreement. The problem is that on my next gig they asked me to play only non-copyrighted music and I don't know how to check. I think I'll stick to cracktros and the most obscure demos.

For the credits, I'd like to have some kind of visual, like 3D rotating words '90 style, with the name of the tune. The mixing software broadcast those information, I tried to do something with Processing programming language but I'm a terrible coder so at the moment I'm just projecting some random demos.
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

Lee Bee wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:50 pm This sounds totally awesome :-) Would LOVE to see footage of any kind of public performance of chiptune demos, especially if anyone is grooving to it!
I can ask to make a video. :)
Anyway I think I'll broadcast the session (only audio).