Spectrum is one of the most expensive words in Google.

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Spectrum is one of the most expensive words in Google.

Post by bluespikey »

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/1/2394 ... s-ad-money

The word Spectrum is up there with iPhone in Google ad word costs. No sign of Commodore.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Re: Spectrum is one of the most expensive words in Google.

Post by PeteProdge »

Oh, I see, it's the name for some cable/streaming television service in America. That makes sense. (Although on UK Google, the top result goes to some vegan make-up using that name for its brand.

I'm also certain that IBM used the word for a storage sub-brand. (This kept me pretty safe when I visited this website on a work computer in two job roles where I worked with IBM as a client/partner.)
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

And in Italy it's a boutique in Milan.

Anyway, if we just consider the literal meaning, I think that more people knows what a spectrum is (the array of colours of a light) than a commodore. I am not sure what a commodore is (it's a captain of more than one ship IIRC) and the first time I heard about commodores was from a Star Trek episode (the one with the injured ex-captain that communicates with pulses, again IIRC).
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

PeteProdge wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:04 pm Oh, I see, it's the name for some cable/streaming television service in America.
Oh, that's why I get spam emails offering me Spectrum related stuff. I thought it was well aimed advertising or something which followed my browsing habits.
PeteProdge wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:04 pm I'm also certain that IBM used the word for a storage sub-brand.
Spectrum Virtualize. That's the product I was working on when they made me redundant 15 months ago. Not that I'm bitter. It turns out that unemployment suits me. :dance
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

If anyone wants buy the website domain for £2.5M do let me know. If got my eye on a nice apartment in Madeira!
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:24 pm If anyone wants buy the website domain for £2.5M do let me know. If got my eye on a nice apartment in Madeira!
From WorthOfWeb.com :

spectrumcomputing.co.uk Website Analysis
We could not create a report for this website. Please check the details below to understand what is wrong.
Insufficient Website Traffic

:(
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks @bluespikey,

Another dream ruined!

We block all search bots apart from Google (which tells me we get about 10,000 unique visitors per month). Interesting stuff!