Which games use teleporting ?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Re: Which games use teleporting ?

Post by PeteProdge »

SteveSmith wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:01 am Just out of curiosity, why do you want to know? :)
He or she is a patent lawyer who is helping one of two rival inventors, pointing out 'prior art'.

Well, that's my guess.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

Theres teleporting as in fast travel across the map (Starquake, Feud) and theres teleporting that just moves you to the next room effectively.

Astroclone and the adventure Marie Celete both have teleporting in them, nicely animated as well, but they are just posh ways of opening a door to the next room.
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

Morkin wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:31 am ...I think you'd have to define teleporting something like 'stepping into a teleport device and being obviously relocated to another similar device, perhaps with some sort of animation'.

If we define it as 'moving the player to another room', we're gonna be listing 30% of the games in the archive :lol:
This is awesome exact description of what I mean. Wiki says "Teleportation is the hypothetical transfer of matter or energy from one point to another without traversing the physical space between them."

This is example for Tujad and Earth Shaker

I thought about whether "device" is necessary or not. I think that player relocation is enough and device can be "invisible" so teleportation from some a space without any markers is ok. Teleportation spell is ok too.
Evil Genius wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:04 am Watch the video from 4:22 - the knight first goes through a doorway to the next room, returns to the first room then goes through the clock to a different room on the other side of the map.

The pink line here shows how the two rooms are linked by the clock:
Technicaly clock in Atic Atac is a teleport. But it is very difficult to find it out if there is no map. Main difficulty is that it is placed near the edge and the game uses flipscreen technique. It would be difficult to find out such games without exact timings.
SteveSmith wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:01 am Just out of curiosity, why do you want to know? :)
I wanted to know the list of games with teleportation at first. But NOW i see this is a curious subject and i also want to see for example how different games display teleportation.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Surprised no one has mentioned any of these:

• Gauntlet
• Gauntlet II
• Chip's Challenge
• Terminus
• Rescue
• Pulsator
• The Sentinel
• Olli & Lissa 3
• New Zealand Story
• Sacred Armour of Antiriad
• Dizzy 3½ (building the teleporter is central to the game)
• Metamorphosis
• Finders Keepers (right at the start)
• W*H*B
• Alien 8
• Robot 1 in The Ship of Doom

I would define "teleporting" simply as:
Voluntarily causing your character to physically disappear and manifest somewhere else.

Note that the word "voluntarily" is important, because it means the teleporting is part of the game mechanic, rather than being a framing narrative that happens automatically between levels.
Last edited by Lee Bee on Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Antiriad, Total Eclipse (& maybe other freescape games)
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

And Knight Tyme.

It might be easier to list all the game without teleportation!
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

bluespikey wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:39 am Theres teleporting as in fast travel across the map (Starquake, Feud) and theres teleporting that just moves you to the next room effectively.

Astroclone and the adventure Marie Celete both have teleporting in them, nicely animated as well, but they are just posh ways of opening a door to the next room.
Mary Celeste is a (broken) bootleg of "Long Way Home" that features a TRANS-MAT that teleports you in other places (and epochs?).
IMHO it's easier to put teleports in text adventures. Just write "you teleported" et voilà!

I wonder if the hyperspace in Asteroids and other games are "teleports". Hyperspace is usually described like bending the three dimensional space to reach other places. The effect is the same but the technobabbling is different.
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

Lee Bee wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:06 pm • The Sentinel
• Sacred Armour of Antiriad
Do you mean those enemies ( Meanie ) in Sentinel that appear in rare cases and teleport you somewhere across landscape, not sentinels? I remembered at last - all player movements in the game are teleporting and only teleporting.

I don't remember any teleports in the Sacred Armour of Antiriad. Is it explosion 9:10 at game ending?
Lethargeek wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:22 pm Antiriad, Total Eclipse (& maybe other freescape games)
What do you mean by teleporting in Total Eclipse? Game looks like 3D with flipscreen when you enter rooms.
Last edited by marenja on Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

- Android Two feat a teleport from stage to stage.
- Tiler has a "supa-step" PANIC button, which is a teleport to next screen.
- the House Jack Built has a teleport pad in the spaceship
- Wizard's Lair password teleport
- Prodigy
- Trap Door (unwanted teleport when hit)
- Dark Dimension
- Firefly
- Nightmare Rally
- Captain Blood
- the one with the robot like Microbot that isn't Microbot
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Oloturia wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:11 pm - Trap Door (unwanted teleport when hit)
If we're going down that route, there are a hell of a lot of games that 'teleport' you when you start afresh from losing a life. Bubble Bobble just off the top of my head. I don't think it's a good idea to count those as teleports, although Trap Door is notable because you're normally on a really different screen, which feels odd.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

To count as a teleport, events must be physically happening in-universe. When a game takes you back to a save point and things get reset, that's out-of-universe.
marenja wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:39 pm Do you mean those enemies in Sentinel that appear in rare cases and teleport you somewhere across landscape, not sentinels?
Teleporting is mentioned here.
marenja wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:39 pm I don't remember any teleports in the Sacred Armour of Antiriad. Is it explosion 9:10 at game ending?
There's just one portal, not needed to complete the game, only really there in case you get trapped:

Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

marenja wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:39 pm What do you mean by teleporting in Total Eclipse? Game looks like 3D with flipscreen when you enter rooms.
13:44 a rectangle on the wall (but not used throughout this vid it seems)

there are other moments where the exit point is out of place but i won't call these teleporting
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

PeteProdge wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:26 pm If we're going down that route, there are a hell of a lot of games that 'teleport' you when you start afresh from losing a life. Bubble Bobble just off the top of my head. I don't think it's a good idea to count those as teleports, although Trap Door is notable because you're normally on a really different screen, which feels odd.
Well, I never considered the "teleport" in Trap Door as "losing a life" but as a prank teleport. It's possible to die in the game by falling down the trapdoor, getting the worst ending possible. The teleport happens when you get hit by the ghost, when burned by the monocycle or smashed by the jumping monster. I don't know what happens if Berk get crushed by the weight.

In Bubble Bobble is more like dying and resuscitate in another place.
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

Oloturia wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:11 pm - the one with the robot like Microbot that isn't Microbot
please, help me... I'm getting mad trying to remember its name...
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Oloturia wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:09 pm please, help me... I'm getting mad trying to remember its name...
Project Future?
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Did anyone say Asteroids yet?

Also, are there any games with teleporting and Easter Island heads?
✓ Reviewed
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

Morkin wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:42 pmProject Future?
No no, it has a mushroom head, like Microbot, and lives in a circuit board firing lightning bolts. There are some gates/chips that teleports you away...

I found a screenshot from the bootleg "Microdroid" (which is funny because it sounds like Microbot BUT IT'S NOT).
Dr beep
Manic Miner

Post by Dr beep »

Mushroom man teleports between locations

Wiwo Dido, the case of the broken timemachine teleports in time
✓ Reviewed
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Oloturia wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:09 pm Well, I never considered the "teleport" in Trap Door as "losing a life" but as a prank teleport. It's possible to die in the game by falling down the trapdoor, getting the worst ending possible. The teleport happens when you get hit by the ghost, when burned by the monocycle or smashed by the jumping monster. I don't know what happens if Berk get crushed by the weight.
Ah, fair point, it has been many years since I played Trap Door and I forgot about the situations that triggered that. Time for a replay... well, whenever I get some spare time, which is kinda rare.
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

Oloturia wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:27 pm No no, it has a mushroom head, like Microbot, and lives in a circuit board firing lightning bolts. There are some gates/chips that teleports you away...

I found a screenshot from the bootleg "Microdroid" (which is funny because it sounds like Microbot BUT IT'S NOT).
Martianoids?
Cosmium
Microbot

Post by Cosmium »

Oloturia wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:27 pm No no, it has a mushroom head, like Microbot, and lives in a circuit board firing lightning bolts. There are some gates/chips that teleports you away...

Must be Psytraxx!

Strategically placed OR gates transport you between the four levels, along with a pixelated dissolve effect that I remember was a bit fiddly to implement at the time.
✓ Reviewed
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

Cosmium wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:09 pm Must be Psytraxx!

Strategically placed OR gates transport you between the four levels, along with a pixelated dissolve effect that I remember was a bit fiddly to implement at the time.
That's it!
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Hi there, I'm compiling a list of games with teleportation, including the ones discussed in the thread.

The definition we are using for this group/tag is : "A game that allows the player to teleport somewhere, using either technology or magic." and the following is a spreadsheet with the titles I'm going to add, the ones I have some doubts, and the ones I don't think matches the group criteria.

Let me know if anyone remembers more titles or have more information for the ones I'm researching.

Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

AFAIK there's no teleportation in The Sentinel.

You "move" around by switching control from one existing robot body to another. That's not teleportation.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

I can't see Jet Set Willy 2 on your list, although I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread. It has teleports between the space ship, alien planet, bathroom and desert island. And it has a specific "teleporting" animation, so I'd say it definitely counts
✓ Reviewed