Which games use teleporting ?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Dr beep
Manic Miner

Re: Which games use teleporting ?

Post by Dr beep »

At 1:12 and on...
MUSHROOMMAN

✓ Reviewed
Cosmium
Microbot

Post by Cosmium »

Video clip of teleporting in Quadron at 7m 7s:

Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

As stated in Fred's instructions the mummies don't die, they teleport when hit or trapped. Yes it's not the main character who teleports, I think it's one of a kind.

Anyway I can confirm it: it happened that mummies kept falling in a hole, disappeared then reappeared on a higher platform, hitting me again. I was unsure how to escape the situation and eventually I died.
zx1
Drutt

Post by zx1 »

There's a section in Curse of Sherwood where you teleport to a different part of the map.
✓ Reviewed
We must perform a quirkafleeg
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

zx1 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:28 pm There's a section in Curse of Sherwood where you teleport to a different part of the map.
this game was mentioned erlier. But it is marked as adventure and so i skipped this game with all other adventures.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Oloturia wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:28 am As stated in Fred's instructions the mummies don't die, they teleport when hit or trapped. Yes it's not the main character who teleports, I think it's one of a kind.

Anyway I can confirm it: it happened that mummies kept falling in a hole, disappeared then reappeared on a higher platform, hitting me again. I was unsure how to escape the situation and eventually I died.
Yeah, and I feel the teleportation is more like a way to justify they are respawning the mommies at the top. I don't think it belongs to the list.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

zx1 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:28 pm There's a section in Curse of Sherwood where you teleport to a different part of the map.
Confirmed. Added to the list, thanks!
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

What is the aim of adding teleports in game? How does it change game mechanics?

1. It helps to reach some places of game map that are not reachable otherwise. So it adds entrance to some separated areas and makes them connected. But will it be the same game if we just remove blocking wall and connect that blocked areas with usual geometry and geography? Look at Tujad example. It seems that wall can be removed and the player can enter next screen without help of teleporting.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/SrXJMGjNTyM?start=55

You can use them to jump over sceen placement limitations on the other hand. This gives not only chance to cut your square map to several areas like in pentamino puzzle, but have areas of such wrong shape that they will never fit into single planar map.

2. It helps player to save time, you move quickly from one point to another. You have the way to other map point but teleporting is more fast.

3. It serves not to change gameplay, but to decorate game. This is the case when you teleport only from one level to another at the end of level. This is for Mask 3 / Venom

4. It is used as game progress mechanics like in Mask 3 / Venom (the other type of teleport, protected with passwords)

5. It is a puzzle element. This gives you some more limitations when you play puzzle games (probably one way teleporting or one-time used teleports like in Earth Shaker).

Any other ideas about the aim of teleporting?
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

marenja wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:29 am
Any other ideas about the aim of teleporting?
A way for evading enemies?
zx1
Drutt

Post by zx1 »

I think teleporting was used in Rasterscan (not sure that's been mentioned yet).
We must perform a quirkafleeg
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

There is an up-to-date list here: viewtopic.php?p=130957#p130957 for anyone that want to take a look.
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

Brain Damage features teleports. Just discovered.
✓ Reviewed
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Post by zxbruno »

I didn't read every single page but used the forum search feature and it seems this one hasn't been mentioned in this thread: Profanation
✓ Reviewed
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

That's a good catch! Added.
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:59 pm Perhaps we should have a "theme" tag in ZXDB for "Teleport"?
Could you add tags for teleports, hyperspace into ZXDB tags table please? I think discussion about game featuring these tags is over and we know lists of games now.

BTW could you please explain what are "feature", "series" and "theme" values in TAGTYPES table ?
It is intuitive for me that teleport is "feature" tag. I whould never think about it as a "theme" tag. :confused:
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Would the teleporting between doorways on "Bounty Bob Strikes Back" count?
✓ Reviewed
CLEAR 23855
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

marenja wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:52 am Could you add tags for teleports, hyperspace into ZXDB tags table please? I think discussion about game featuring these tags is over and we know lists of games now.
@druellan is going to add it, he's organizing this list. Let me check with him.

marenja wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:52 am BTW could you please explain what are "feature", "series" and "theme" values in TAGTYPES table ?
Series refers to game sequels, like Saboteur! and Saboteur 2.

Theme refers to topics that appear in certain games, like Halloween, Dinosaurs, or Time Travel.

Feature refers to attributes of certain games, such as Multicolor, or Lenslok Protection.

marenja wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:52 am It is intuitive for me that teleport is "feature" tag. I whould never think about it as a "theme" tag. :confused:
This is a borderline case. It could be either theme "Teleportation" or feature "Teleport".
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

Heavy on the magick
you can travel with help of Astarot to a named place in castle, or can be thrown to the furnace.
✓ Reviewed
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Hi! and yes, with Bedazzle and uglifruit lastest additions, I think we have a nice list. I need to create two groups for Teleportation and Hyperspace, and might be ready on a couple of releases.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

uglifruit wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:28 am Would the teleporting between doorways on "Bounty Bob Strikes Back" count?
Yes! I think so, because it is not that the character is entering and exiting the doors, it is implied that it is teleporting by the animation.
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:27 pm @druellan is going to add it, he's organizing this list. Let me check with him.
@druellan - your turn !

I mean we need at least add enty to TAGS table, not assigning tags to individual games (is it MEMBERS table?).

--
Ooops. I'm a bit late, i have lost some minutes between page refreshes.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

marenja wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:21 pm @druellan - your turn !

I mean we need at least add enty to TAGS table, not assigning tags to individual games (is it MEMBERS table?).

--
Ooops. I'm a bit late, i have lost some minutes between page refreshes.
Yep! I'm getting ready the entries in the Tags table, and after that there is no need to add them manually, I can create the patch directly from the table.

I'm not sure what to do with the games that have "warp", that sometimes it is kind of hyperspace, but often it is just fast travel. I was willing to add them as Hyperspace, just because in Star Trek, that I believe is the source, it is actually a form of hyperspace.

1002 Codename Matt
1003 Codename Matt II
4885 Star Trek
16966 Hyperchess
4884 Star Trek
18995 Star Trek
4836 Star Trek - The computer game
4837 Star Trek - The computer program
4887 Star Trek 3000
37024 Star Trek 48
27851 Star Trek 5
5048 Super Startrek
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

druellan wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:38 pm I'm not sure what to do with the games that have "warp", that sometimes it is kind of hyperspace, but often it is just fast travel. I was willing to add them as Hyperspace, just because in Star Trek, that I believe is the source, it is actually a form of hyperspace.
Google gives information warp & hyperspace are different.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Yeah, I was taking a look, I have no trouble excluding the Star Trek clones from the list, since the warp speed is just a way to move ships on the grid, but I really want to add the Codename Mat games, so, I was thinking to create the group as "Hyperspace/Warp" so we can add those titles.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

There are cute little teleporters in Deja Vu and Deja Vu: The Remix (which are sort of Starquake clones).
✓ Reviewed