Which games use teleporting ?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: Which games use teleporting ?

Post by Einar Saukas »

Also I think we should have a different tag for hyperspace.

Teleportation and hyperspace are very different things. If you didn't know this, please leave your Startrek/Starwars badge at the front desk!!!
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:19 pm AFAIK there's no teleportation in The Sentinel.
You "move" around by switching control from one existing robot body to another. That's not teleportation.
Oh, I was under the impression the hyperspace was something similar to a teleportation, but reading the instructions, the hyperspace *creates* a new robot, and *transfers* you to that new body, so, yeah, is not hyperspacing/teleporting anything.
I can't see Jet Set Willy 2 on your list, although I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread. It has teleports between the space ship, alien planet, bathroom and desert island. And it has a specific "teleporting" animation, so I'd say it definitely counts
Missed it! Adding it to the list.
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

druellan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:31 pm Hi there, I'm compiling a list of games with teleportation, including the ones discussed in the thread.

The definition we are using for this group/tag is : "A game that allows the player to teleport somewhere, using either technology or magic." and the following is a spreadsheet with the titles I'm going to add, the ones I have some doubts, and the ones I don't think matches the group criteria.

Let me know if anyone remembers more titles or have more information for the ones I'm researching.
As for Nightmare Rally:
https://yewtu.be/embed/_oZRo_AbC_g?t=1045
(ok could be a time warp also... dunno... seem teleportish to me)

For Cap'n Blood the player isn't teleporting, s/he uses a fleshy space drone (eh) as an avatar for communicating with alien life forms. The teleport is used to zap on and off board alien guests.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Oloturia wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:46 am As for Nightmare Rally:
I see, I think we can call that teleportation, thanks for the clarification.
Oloturia wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:46 am For Cap'n Blood the player isn't teleporting, s/he uses a fleshy space drone (eh) as an avatar for communicating with alien life forms. The teleport is used to zap on and off board alien guests.
Thanks! Fixed, I think still can be in the list, since it is an action the user can do.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Six pages of posts, and nobody mentioned CORE yet. I should know, I mapped the bits that needed mapping and RZXed it at great length.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Hi. I'm start adding games that has some kind of hyperspace, too se if makes sense to have a teleport/hypetspace group, since there concept is similar and there are games like Asteroids that have a hyperspsce feature that works more like teleport.

I added a "frature" column, so we can sort or filter them, but let me know how you feel about having both features on a single group.
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

druellan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:31 pm Let me know if anyone remembers more titles or have more information for the ones I'm researching.
Soldier of Fortune, teleporting to other parts of game map at 1:55 and to boss at 0:25

✓ Reviewed
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

Probably these strange doors 0:35-0:50 are a sort of teleports. Instruction mentions telephones but not teleports.
OLLI and LISSA
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Oh yeah! Soldier of Fortune is a good catch, looks like magic teleportation.
OLLI and LISSA I'm not sure, I understand the game behaves like teleportation, but technically the player is just entering a door.
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

druellan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:31 pm Let me know if anyone remembers more titles or have more information for the ones I'm researching.
Mask III / Venom Strikes Back

There are two types of doors (teleports). First type is end-of-level door that just sends player to next level. This type of doors is just a method to move between levels and does not fit definition by Lee Bee. I feel it not being a real teleport.
Lee Bee wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:06 pm I would define "teleporting" simply as:
Voluntarily causing your character to physically disappear and manifest somewhere else.

Note that the word "voluntarily" is important, because it means the teleporting is part of the game mechanic, rather than being a framing narrative that happens automatically between levels.
But it does fit definition of Morkin
Morkin wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:31 am ...I think you'd have to define teleporting something like 'stepping into a teleport device and being obviously relocated to another similar device, perhaps with some sort of animation'.

If we define it as 'moving the player to another room', we're gonna be listing 30% of the games in the archive :lol:
The other type of teleporting doors looks like a real teleport as it helps player to move signnificant distance. It is placed at the end of level 1 in the last room that is not shown in the RZX replay video. But this type of teleport is activated by password and looks like a password mechanic to skip levels.

P.S.
some games will loose there teleportation feature if we define it as 'moving the player to another room'. Player is placed in the same room in Exolon and there is no 'room' in Earth Shaker.
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

Could one argue Chaos’ Turmoil spell teleports everything around?
✓ Reviewed
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

And Lords of Chaos.
✓ Reviewed
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

druellan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:04 pm Oh, I was under the impression the hyperspace was something similar to a teleportation, but reading the instructions, the hyperspace *creates* a new robot, and *transfers* you to that new body, so, yeah, is not hyperspacing/teleporting anything.

Name 'hyperspace' used in documentation is just a phrase to add some mystic to documentation and make things hard to understand.
I have no idea why documentation does not use 'teleport' instead of 'hyperspace'.
The phrase 'Hyperspace into new world' means 'to start a new game level'. New world is new level, no teleportation needed.

:lol: A lot of game with more that single level have such a sort of 'hyperspacing into new world'.

I think that movement type used in The Sentinel is teleportation. It uses a strange method with no static buildings for 'tele-station' but it is a sort of teleportation.
We have no doubts that Lunar Jetman uses teleports though those tele-stations can be moved.

Look carefully of what is going on this video.

Code: Select all

0:35-0:40 player creates a new robot (second) and teleports to it
0:41-0:47 player removes his first old robot, creates new one (third) and teleports to it.
0:52-0:55 player removes his second robot and you can see that distance between 2nd and 3rd robots is long enough.
Probably distance is not obvious because of speccy's 2 colour graphics but timing 1:00-1:10 makes things more clear.

Other platforms with better graphics capabilities give more clear understanding of distance and of how player moves across the map.
C64, BBC Micro, Amiga
1:50-2:12

1:20-1:42, 1:45-2:05

0:35-0:55
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Well, it's not teleportation either...
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

Einar
I have an idea why you don't think that Sentinel has teleporting. You are right, robots are created and disassembled / destroyed. But you should think about teleporting not robots, but invisible object between robots.
druellan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:04 pm Oh, I was under the impression the hyperspace was something similar to a teleportation, but reading the instructions, the hyperspace *creates* a new robot, and *transfers* you to that new body, so, yeah, is not hyperspacing/teleporting anything.
This is exactly what I think about game mechanics.

------
Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:14 pm Well, it's not teleportation either...
Einar Saukas wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:19 pm You "move" around by switching control from one existing robot body to another. That's not teleportation.
But it is not switching control either.

Switching control is used in game The Lost Vikings. You can switch to ANY of those vikings at ANY time. But in The Sentinel you can move to new robot ONLY if you 'observe' it. What's more you not just switch active robot but 'transfer' your current energy level into it. In The Lost Vikings you have move two vikings close to each other to transfer objects.

One more argument. You have active robot 1 and inactive robot 2 - you have just created it. Robot 1 is safe because it is not visible to guard. Robot 2 can be attacked by guard and destroyed. So robot 2 is not a player.

Let us think robot 2 was not visible to guard either. Now guard rotates, spots robot 1 and attacks it. You will end game if robot 1 is destroyed. Situation looks like player is robot 1. But you will not end game if you move from robot 1 to robot 2 and 1st is destroyed. So robot 1 is not player either. There is an invisible object inside robot that moves from one robot to another.
This is exactly what I think about game mechanics. That invisible object teleports between robots and that object is player. You should think about teleporting not robots, but invisible object. Each robot is used just as an actor when your player moves between them - a sort of vehicle, spacesuit.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Invisible object???

The Lost Vikings is a good example. You can switch control between multiple bodies. Exactly like The Sentinel.

Teleportation means transporting your body from one place to another, without traveling the space between them. It's not switching to another body.
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:39 pm Teleportation means transporting your body from one place to another, without traveling the space between them. It's not switching to another body.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleportation
Teleportation is the hypothetical transfer of matter or energy from one point to another without traversing the physical space between them.
Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:39 pm Invisible object???
Let it be no object but pure energy. Energy level is displayed in the top-left corner. You can check energy is transferred to active robot because robot is protected while it has some of transferred energy. Active robot is destroyed when attacked by guard and there player has no more energy. Inactive robot (after player has switched to another one) will be turned into stone immediately in case it is attacked (it has no extra energy).
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

But you are still able to transfer control to another existing Sentinel body even when you have no energy left.

In this case, you will be switching control to another body, but neither matter or energy will be transfered.
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:40 am But you are still able to transfer control to another existing Sentinel body even when you have no energy left.
I agree with this.
But this is in-game mechanick and not game control mechangick like in The Lost Vikings or any PC tactical game where you just click mouse on unit and control it.
Einar Saukas wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:40 am In this case, you will be switching control to another body, but neither matter or energy will be transfered.
Agree. No energy is transferred in this case
But energy is transferred in other cases, when it is not zero. ...

Let summarise The Sentinel will not be in this list.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

marenja wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:01 am Let summarise The Sentinel will not be in this list.
Well... A counter-argument is that The Sentinel calls it "hyperspace". It's not, but should we go against the official documentation?

Fortunately I don't have to decide, that's up to @druellan :)
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Yeah, now that we have hyperspace in the group, I think we can add The Sentinel, because besides the discussion, the feature feels like some kind of teleportation, specially at the end of the level. I'm pretty sure if we leave the title out of the list, this discussion is going to popup gain.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:35 pm Also I think we should have a different tag for hyperspace.
I'm indicating teleport/hyperspace in the list, so, we can go back and create two tags if necessary.
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

Batman - no teleports in replay video
Olli & Lissa - only doors but no teleports

The New Zealand Story has a sort of teleporting to bosses at the level ends
Spoiler
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

I prepared a list of video fragments with teleporting for games mentioned in this topic. Each spoiler contains a link to game and probably some description.

Games that were skipped:

all without videos

warp and hyperspace category - i have no idea about those game mechanics, many of them are about space travel and it will be hard for me to notice teleporting there

teleporting spells of board or tactical games (archon, chaos, lords of chaos)

adventure games - both text and arcade, it will be a spoiler walkthrough for me
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

Android Two
Antiriad, The Sacred Armour of
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4 ... f_Antiriad
Video has no teleporting
Lee Bee wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:36 pm There's just one portal, not needed to complete the game, only really there in case you get trapped:
Bounder
Chip's Challenge
Cosmic Payback
Dan Dare III
Deviants
Dynamite Dan
Earth Shaker
Egg Head (Hamte Damte)
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... amte_Damte
teleporter station (destination password required)

no password required

dimension passage
Egghead in Space
Equinox
Exolon
Finders Keepers (right at the start)
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... rs_Keepers
start of game

teleporting into the maze, at least it looks like teleporting very much

teleporting into "castle teleport room"
Firefly
Jet Set Willy II
Lunar Jetman
Monty On The Run
New Zealand Story
Nightmare Rally
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... are_Rally8
Oloturia wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:46 am As for Nightmare Rally:
Project Future
Pulsator
The Sentinel
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4 ... e_Sentinel

There was a holywar discussion about Sentinel. I just qoute what process i call "teleporting". All discussion can be found on page 6.
marenja wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:09 am I think that movement type used in The Sentinel is teleportation. It uses a strange method with no static buildings for 'tele-station' but it is a sort of teleportation.
We have no doubts that Lunar Jetman uses teleports though those tele-stations can be moved.

Look carefully of what is going on this video.

0:35-0:40 player creates a new robot (second) and teleports to it

0:41-0:47 player removes his first old robot, creates new one (third) and teleports to it.

0:52-0:55 player removes his second robot and you can see that distance between 2nd and 3rd robots is long enough.

Probably distance is not obvious because of speccy's 2 colour graphics but timing 1:00-1:10 makes things more clear.
Soldier of Fortune
[MOD] Spherical Remastered
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... Remastered
I am not shure is it teleporting or not.

warp level

Starquake
Super G-Man
Terminus
Total Eclipse (& maybe other freescape games)
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/5 ... al_Eclipse
marenja wrote: What do you mean by teleporting in Total Eclipse? Game looks like 3D with flipscreen when you enter rooms.
Lethargeek wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:48 pm 13:44 a rectangle on the wall (but not used throughout this vid it seems)

there are other moments where the exit point is out of place but i won't call these teleporting
Tujad
Venom Strikes Back
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... rikes_Back
There are two types of doors (teleports). First type is end-of-level door that just sends player to next level. This type of doors is just a method to move between levels and does not fit definition by Lee Bee. I feel it not being a real teleport. You can see such a door-teleport in video. But 4 real teleports are placed right side to this room. Though those teleports are not usual teleports because they are used as save points. They are activated with passwords you get after you progress the game and have reach some zones. Password teleports are not shown in this video.
W*H*B
Xadom