RTTY & Morse Receiver

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

Andre Leao
Bugaboo

RTTY & Morse Receiver

Post by Andre Leao »

Preserved...

https://planetasinclair.blogspot.com/20 ... r-mia.html

PROCESSED
DH 09/11/23
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: RTTY & Morse Receiver

Post by R-Tape »

Another interesting find. We've had a few of these Amateur Radio progs appear over the years and I'm only slightly closer to understanding them. I'd love to know how they were used 'in anger'. Were friendships made between counties or even countries, audio-only trysts that challenged societal expectations of the time, or was it mostly blokes in sheds cursing and wiggling jack plugs?

A quick google of "P Anderson" "RTTY" finds this link with an advert suggesting a release year of 1985.

As if loading tapes was bad enough, this seems to require an especially tranquil Chuntey field...

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:59 pm blokes in sheds cursing and wiggling jack plugs?
Having recently passed my full amateur radio exam I can tell you that you are spot on @R-Tape! The majority are also of a certain age.

The output of the radio goes into the mic socket of the spectrum for decoding.

The advantage of morse, RTTY and other more modern data modes is that you don't need as much bandwidth as you do with speech. Therefore with the same power output your signal is likely to travel much further because you are using a smaller bandwidth. Speech is generally 3khz bandwidth (Single side band), where as datamodes can use as little as 150hz.

RTTY is still used today. Depending on the antenna, solar conditions, frequency and time of day it's not unusual for people to reach the US and further. People log their contacts and sometimes exchange QSL cards (confirmation of the call). There are also competitions where the challenge may be for example contact as many countries as you can in 24 hours.

CQ CQ CQ This is M0LMG. Mike Zero Lima Mike Golf. CQ CQ CQ
8BitSC
Microbot

Post by 8BitSC »

One of the instructors on my advanced course (A G0 operator) hates talking to people and prefers using Morse, spending hundreds at a time on his “keys”.

I tried to learn CW but as it’s no longer a requirement to gain a full license, gave up.

Passed my full license about 7 or 8 years ago and love the technical aspect but prefer the tech side over actually speaking to others.

I really do need to dig out my radios and hook one up. It’s been a few years since I had a conversation via RF.