Devfinitive Edition (David Perry): vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Poll ended at Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:59 am

Captain Planet by Mindscape International
No votes
Dan Dare III: The Escape by Virgin Games
17%
Drakmaze by Mikro-Gen
No votes
Equinox by Mikro-Gen
8%
Extreme by Digital Integration
8%
Four In A Row by Interface Publications (type-in listing)
No votes
Great Gurianos by Hit-Pak
No votes
Herbert's Dummy Run by Mikro-Gen
6%
Lunar Storm by Interface Publications (type-in listing)
No votes
Paperboy 2 by Mindscape International
No votes
Savage by Firebird
17%
Smash TV by Ocean
3%
Snake by Interface Publications (type-in listing)
No votes
Space Trek by Interface Publications (type-in listing)
No votes
Stainless Steel by Mikro-Gen
No votes
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (based on NES game) by Image Works
6%
Three Weeks In Paradise by Mikro-Gen
36%
Tintin On The Moon by Infogrames
No votes
Zombies by Interface Publications (type-in listing)
No votes

Total votes: 36

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Captain Planet by Mindscape International

Dan Dare III: The Escape by Virgin Games

Drakmaze by Mikro-Gen

Equinox by Mikro-Gen

Extreme by Digital Integration

Four In A Row by Interface Publications (type-in listing)

Great Gurianos by Hit-Pak

Herbert's Dummy Run by Mikro-Gen

Lunar Storm by Interface Publications (type-in listing)

Paperboy 2 by Mindscape International

Savage by Firebird

Smash TV by Ocean

Snake by Interface Publications (type-in listing)

Space Trek by Interface Publications (type-in listing)

Stainless Steel by Mikro-Gen

Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (based on NES game) by Image Works

Three Weeks In Paradise by Mikro-Gen

Tintin On The Moon by Infogrames

[url=https://www.spectrumcomputing.co.uk/ent ... um/Zombies]Zombies by Interface Publications (type-in listing)
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Re: Devfinitive Edition (David Perry): vote

Post by hitm4n »

3 Weeks in Paradise (I wrote a full walkthrough for this about 35 years ago, still have it).
Equinox.
Savage.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

1. Herbert's Dummy Run
2. Three Weeks in Paradise
3. Equinox
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Out of the ones I've actually played:

1 - Three Weeks in Paradise ( it was one of those games that everybody wanted to copy at our local computer club)
2 - Herberts Dummy Run
3 - Stainless Steel (i desperately wanted to like this game. I loved the loading the screen and intro music, but the draw distance was just too short and it was virtually impossible to see the enemies until they were right in front of you and the radar was next to useless)
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

1. Equinox
2. Dan Dare III
3. Three Weeks in Paradise
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

1. Three Weeks
2. Stainless Steel
3. Smash TV

Three Weeks I completed the day after I got it (i.e. day after release). I accidentally found the infinite lives cheat (SS, D and P when Wally's knocked down) when I mashed the keyboard in frustration. Completing it was pretty much a doddle after that. I even phoned Mikro-Gen up to check if I was the first person to report completing it (they asked about the end sequence for proof), but I was the fourth.

Always felt that Stainless Steel was a bit of a gem that never got the love it deserved.

Put Smash TV third as it's the only other game of Perry's I've played. It's not very good, just manic and overly colourful.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

1. Three Weeks in Paradise
2. Turtles
3. Extreme
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

This is a really tough one, and I'm not sure if I can have two #1 just this once?

1. Savage. I remember looking at this one in the magazines and it blew my mind. So gorgeous looking. Yes, it's a bit slow but looked really nice. I still can't do this kind of graphics, otherwise I'd make a game out of it.

1. Three Weeks in Paradise. I really love a good arcade adventure, and this one was really fun, even if I can't remember most of it. Should play this again sometimes. And I really don't care about the colour clash. (PS. If you can't handle 2 first places in this one, then make this game second. But it is so unfair.)

3. Dan Dare 3. I can probably only finish level 1 without a poke but this one also looked great. The teleport minigame was also really well made, too.

---
To be honest most of this list were good too, so it was very hard to make a top 3 out of it.
So a lot of runners up:

Equinox should probably been on the top 3 too, but I'd still put Equinox under Cecco games than under David Perry.

Extreme was a nice looking game too, just the main character was a bit meh, and the underwater level... oh well.

Turtles was okay, but the coin-op was just better.

Smash TV, I found that one too slow and too hard somehow.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Timmy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:41 pm (PS. If you can't handle 2 first places in this one, then make this game second. But it is so unfair.)
Well, I have struggled in the past on my own polls to come up with a top three when I've seen two games that are just a Rizla paper in difference of quality. The thing is, if I were to award 3 points each to your Savage and to your Three Weeks In Paradise choices, then 2 points (or even 1 point) to Dan Dare III, that's preferential treatment to all the others putting in a top three. So, it has to be the tried-and-tested 'top three' model. And yeah, even that's not the perfect model, there's always someone wanting it to be a top four, a top five, etc.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Drakmaze clearly has the best plot, based on that screenshot.
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

Dave Perry's late games are visually outstanding but they feel too much confined. With two exceptions:
SMASH TV - It delivers lot of action, all in color and the posibility to branch your way through map gives much needed feel of big space.
TMHT - It is a perfect fan service from start to the end. It lacks little bit in playability but it has reasonable number of levels, superb intro with Shredder and is quite easy to finish, providing nice excursion into world of your favorite series. And it really doesn't matter that all four turtles plays basically same way or that gameplay is a bit shallow.

1) TMTH
2) SMASH TV
3) THREE WEEKS IN PARADISE
Proud owner of Didaktik M
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

PeteProdge wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:30 pm Well, I have struggled in the past on my own polls to come up with a top three when I've seen two games that are just a Rizla paper in difference of quality. The thing is, if I were to award 3 points each to your Savage and to your Three Weeks In Paradise choices, then 2 points (or even 1 point) to Dan Dare III, that's preferential treatment to all the others putting in a top three. So, it has to be the tried-and-tested 'top three' model. And yeah, even that's not the perfect model, there's always someone wanting it to be a top four, a top five, etc.
Yeah, no problem at all. Thanks.

Just put 3 Weeks in second place then. :)
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

1. Savage
2. Dan Dare 3
3. Smash TV
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Timmy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:41 pm 1. Three Weeks in Paradise. And I really don't care about the colour clash.
Threw Weeks I always remember as the first game that got rid of colour clash (that I took notice of) to be replaced with transparency at the behest of a setting. I don't remember seeing it before then?
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

I always loved the absolute riot of colours in Dave Perry's games. I also love that even though he's from the same town in Northern Ireland as me and moved away at about the same age, he has completely lost the accent.

I'll go for Smash TV as that was a hell of an achievement on the Speccy, closely followed by Dan Dare 3 (even though I hated his lips on the loading screen) and Extreme, which was another really impressive late Speccy game.

Can't believe his Ireland type in wasn't included! 😉
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Daveysloan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:34 am ...closely followed by Dan Dare 3 (even though I hated his lips on the loading screen)
Yeah, that's the weirdest colour choice I've seen on a loading screen. It's like he's been 'experimenting'... "Oh, er, hi, Mrs Dare... er... you're home earlier than usual... I... er... silly me... I... um... was trying to find my chapstick and, ha ha, looks like I went into your cabinet... and... no, honestly..."
Daveysloan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:34 amCan't believe his Ireland type in wasn't included! 😉
Great graphics, terrible game.
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

1 Three Weeks In Paradise
2 TMHT
3 Dan Dare 3
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

1. Savage
2. Extreme
3. TMHT

Credit also goes to Nick Bruty who got a heck of a lot out of the Spectrum's palette and attribute limitations.
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

1. Three Weeks In Paradise
2. Smash TV
3. Equinox
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

The final ever Wally Week game, Three Weeks In Paradise, has topped this poll, gaining over twice as many votes as either of the joint second games - 13 votes!

Dan Dare III and Savage are those joint second games, 6 votes each.

Equinox and Extreme are joint third, with 3 votes each.

The penultimate Wally Week game, Herbert's Dummy Run, is one of the joint fourth games, the other being the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles game that was based on the NES game - 2 votes each.

And finally, we have the coin-op conversion Smash TV.

Over to the proportional votes:

Three Weeks In Paradise by Mikro-Gen 21
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (based on NES game) by Image Works 11
Savage by Firebird 10
Dan Dare III: The Escape by Virgin Games 6
Equinox by Mikro-Gen 6
Smash TV by Ocean 6
Herbert's Dummy Run by Mikro-Gen 5
Extreme by Digital Integration 3
Stainless Steel by Mikro-Gen 3