If you had to give five ZX Spectrum games to the Spice Girls

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

If you had to give five ZX Spectrum games to the Spice Girls

Post by PeteProdge »

I have absolutely no idea how this hypothesis popped into my head. It's baffling.

So, there are these Spice Girls, you might have heard of them, bit big in the mid-to-late 90s on the old hit parade. They all acquired nicknames for their appearances/personalities. Kind of like if Bananarama got crossed with the Bash Street Kids.

Anyway, assuming they really are just like their nicknames *cough*, what ZX Spectrum games would impress them? You've got...

Baby
Ginger
Posh
Scary
Sporty

Here's what I'd gift them:

Baby: Well, here's some low-hanging fruit. Ah Diddums by Imagine is the obvious choice. It's absolutely dismal though. I suppose there's SU-exclusive magazine covertape game Brat Attack, but that's only an incremental improvement.

Ginger: The hardest of the lot. Today I learned there are no ZX Spectrum games with the word 'Ginger' in the title. Okay, so she's meant to be this fiery redhead, so, um... Red Heat by Ocean.

Posh: Flunky by Piranha. I can't really think of any other Speccy games that have you live the high life (and even in Flunky, you're a servant), off the top of my head. I suppose Virgin Atlantic Challenge from Virgin Games, based on the real-life attempt of a tedious attention-seeking multimillionaire to mess around in a yacht, but it's deathly dull, isn't it? Whatever your feelings on Victoria Beckham, even she doesn't need to go through that. Flunky it is then.

Scary: It's got to be Go To Hell by Triple Six, which is what you get when you have Halls Of The Things redesigned using the exercise book scrawlings from a teenage metaller who worships shock-rock acts like Helloween, Megadeth and Slayer.

Sporty: Hyper Sports from Imagine went down really well in a recent poll, although my heart says Daley Thompson's Decathlon by Ocean is better.

There you go. A truly daft idea that entered my head this morning. I apologise in advance.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Stefan
Manic Miner

Re: If you had to give five ZX Spectrum games to the Spice Girls

Post by Stefan »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:25 pm Ginger: The hardest of the lot. Today I learned there are no ZX Spectrum games with the word 'Ginger' in the title. Okay, so she's meant to be this fiery redhead, so, um... Red Heat by Ocean.
Oh Pete sometimes you do disappoint, the answer is obviously Chequered Flag!
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Baby: Jack the Nipper
Ginger: Space Raiders (because she was always the old one :lol: )
Posh: Five on a Treasure Island (well I always associate it with being posh at least)
Scary: Blinky's Scary School
Sporty: Epyx Summer Games (only because Decathlon has already been mentioned and I'm crap at remembering sports games)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Stefan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:12 pm Oh Pete sometimes you do disappoint, the answer is obviously Chequered Flag!
Well, I'm baffled at this one. Unless it's a reference to that dress. Or did Geri Halliwell date a racing driver?
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
MustardTiger
Microbot

Post by MustardTiger »

No point in giving Posh Spice a speccy game. All the posh kids had a BBC
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:39 pm Well, I'm baffled at this one. Unless it's a reference to that dress. Or did Geri Halliwell date a racing driver?
Married to F1 Red Bull team boss Christian Horner.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Stefan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:52 pm Married to F1 Red Bull team boss Christian Horner.
Ah, right. Thanks! I really don't follow the personal lives of pop stars that well, not exactly into those fluorescent technicolour magazines stacked at supermarket checkouts. I can remember she was with Robbie Williams, then Chris Evans (or the other way round), that's the extent of my knowledge.

Another facet could be the title of her second album.

Um... I did attend a couple of gigs this summer with friends where we were dancing with Natalie Appleton of All Saints, but anyway, this is getting rather trivial and well, points to me being a wannabe Your Sinclair writer, doesn't it?
textvoyage
Drutt

Post by textvoyage »

It's definitely an important question, I'd like to add Chiller for Scary Spice
https://www.spectrumcomputing.co.uk/ent ... um/Chiller

Edit: the alleged link to Michael Jackson might add to the appeal
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Baby - Mad Nurse, as it's also a very dodgy concept
Ginger - Flunky has a feisty redhead
Posh - I'm surprised there isn't already a JSW MOD that has Posh as Maria and Willy as David
Scary - maybe scary in the Mermaid Madness way
Sporty - she was my favourite, so sport and a date combined in Jack Charlton's Match Fishing
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:59 pm Ah, right. Thanks! I really don't follow the personal lives of pop stars that well, not exactly into those fluorescent technicolour magazines stacked at supermarket checkouts.
Neither do I, but I do watch F1 and when camera panned to Red Bull team, ummm… she looks familiar.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:25 pm I have absolutely no idea how this hypothesis popped into my head. It's baffling.
This year's answer to viewtopic.php?t=7470

Anyway.

Ginger - Dune - The only one that's an actual spice. 'He who controls the Ginger controls the universe.'

Posh - Sqij - Clearly the worst one.

Scary - Vixen - Similar dress sense maybe.

Sporty - Uchi Mata - Comfortably dressed. On paper, expected be most successful. That didn't quite pan out.

Baby - Herbert's Dummy Run - I dunno. There's a baby in it.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Mpk wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:01 pm This year's answer to viewtopic.php?t=7470

Posh - Sqij - Clearly the worst one.
I was going to say Sqij for Ginger as she’s clearly the worst of them all.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

stupidget wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:10 pm I was going to say Sqij for Ginger as she’s clearly the worst of them all.
Madness. Ginger was clearly the leader.

(Or was that Suggs?)
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Mpk wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:13 pm Madness. Ginger was clearly the leader.

(Or was that Suggs?)
I think it’s probably best we don’t start a discussion about the silver clad nonce who used to call himself ‘The Leader’!!
8BitSC
Microbot

Post by 8BitSC »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:39 pmUnless it's a reference to that dress.
Ye gods.

As my old dad would say, "You can almost see what she had for dinner!"
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

I think it's easy...
I would take a Spice Girl original tape (c) and would write over their songs copied games like : Booty, Pirate Adventure, Cosmic Pirate , Blackbird etc...
I bet they will be really happy!
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

Ginger spice seems like a strategy game fan: so rebelstar 2 would keep her occupied.

Posh seems like she needs to blow off some steam (Bennett) so obviously she'd like commando.

Scary would like to take on a challenge, so how about saving the universe single-handedly from the bydo empire.
She's obviously a fan of hr giger.

Baby seems like someone who would like this beauty of a game:
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... m/Accounts

And finally sporty , I think sam fox strip poker would give her a thrill.
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Post by ParadigmShifter »

They'd probably tell us what they want, what they really really want is something like this?

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... igzag_Golf

Or Maybe Ziggurat and R-Type
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

firelord wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:13 pm I think it's easy...
I would take a Spice Girl original tape (c) and would write over their songs copied games like : Booty, Pirate Adventure, Cosmic Pirate , Blackbird etc...
I bet they will be really happy!
Well, what you have is a cassette with loads of horrid high-pitched screechy noises all over it.

...and then you'll record ZX Spectrum games onto it.

(Oh, like you didn't see that punchline coming a mile off.)
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

I'm totally game and willing to roleplay, so I'd give myself to Sporty ;)
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

Baby - Mad Nurse.

Ginger - Raid Over Moscow

Posh - Jumping Jack. Because he, like her, is a stick figure.

Scary - Ant Attack

Sporty - Hyper Sports.