Gamesradar selection of top 10 Spectrum 128k games

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Gamesradar selection of top 10 Spectrum 128k games

Post by Turtle_Quality »

Definition of loop : see loop
animaal
Microbot

Re: Gamesradar selection of top 10 Spectrum 128k games

Post by animaal »

Very good read.

Speaking of ocean - "It was responsible for the two titles bundled with the machine and was quick to create 128K versions of all its new games. Later on it was also the first major publisher to drop support for the 48K altogether"

Is this true? I hadn't heard it before. At a time when Spectrum sales were probably declining, it would seem like an odd decision to exclude the largest portion of the Spectrum market.
StanVanman
Manic Miner

Post by StanVanman »

The game was not released outside its home country so the text is in Spanish, but don’t let that put you off.
Nah, I'm definitely gonna let it.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

animaal wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:48 am Is this true? I hadn't heard it before. At a time when Spectrum sales were probably declining, it would seem like an odd decision to exclude the largest portion of the Spectrum market.
There may have been more 48K machines out in the wild, but I guess it was 128K (+2, +3 etc) that would've been the ones actively buying games at the time.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

They call it "The all-time best Spectrum 128k games " yet they didn't include any single game made after commercial era.

I really dislike when some guys believe that Zx Spectrum history ended in 1992 or so.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

animaal wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:48 am Very good read.

Speaking of ocean - "It was responsible for the two titles bundled with the machine and was quick to create 128K versions of all its new games. Later on it was also the first major publisher to drop support for the 48K altogether"

Is this true? I hadn't heard it before. At a time when Spectrum sales were probably declining, it would seem like an odd decision to exclude the largest portion of the Spectrum market.
It depends how you define "major publisher". Ocean's last 48k-compatible full price game was Smash TV in Autumn 1991, but by then Elite Systems, Anco and Accolade had already gone 128-only before abandoning the Spectrum completely. By this time the biggest market for Spectrum games was budget, and Ocean were still re-releasing 48k-compatible games on The Hit Squad label into 1993.