What did you use the Miner Droid for in Rebelstar?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
bluespikey
Manic Miner

What did you use the Miner Droid for in Rebelstar?

Post by bluespikey »

In two player Rebelstar, The operatives have several droids available to them which seems completely harmless. There is exactly one Miner Droid which is a lovely looking chap.

It also has a Weapon Skill of 255, whereas even one-man-army Leeder Krennon still only has a skill of 6. So what is the Miner Droid for? I always sent the little chap into the top corridor as a bullet sponge and to slow down the raiders with its wreckage, but that always felt mean.

Thanks to a thread on this form, I recently found that raider combat droids can also be stopped with the droid key. So maybe theres something still to be discovered about the miner droid and servo droids. If it picks up a gun it can't fire it. It might be able to use a light sabre, or it might just be attacking normally. But its so slow moving it don't really matter.
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Re: What did you use the Miner Droid for in Rebelstar?

Post by SteveSmith »

I played Rebelstar quite a bit back in the day (not for years now) and I don't recognise that droid at all!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

It vaguely rings a bell but I haven't played 2-player Rebelstar for decades...!
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

There is an article in the new Retro Gamer Annual about Rebelstar 1 and 2, didn't get a chance to read it because my local library of WH Smiths don't like the reading of magazines - I had a thumb through it but got the evil glare of the staff member.

The Miner droid was, as you said, placed in the top corridor, The droid key was then used on the raiders droid, so the raiders then had to rely on the lightsabers to cut though the main security doors - a lengthy process of a random number generator.
Just make sure you got the guy that is wandering around the garden with the door key on the inside of the computer complx first, otherwise it's a a quick game of shoot him, grab the keys and bundle through the open door.

If quick enough, the miner droid was ised to block the entrance to the lower left segment as a bullet/laser collector until dead, it could use a lightsaber from a dead raoder as attack so it gave it some form of helpfulness
Once the operative re-enforcements arrive in the lower left corner it was a quick bung a pistol in their hands and oppotunity fire on the corridor of death.
Servo droids can pick up weapons, just tried it with a raider laser gun and can fire it.