Spectrum interface to do programming?

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Spectrum interface to do programming?

Post by Wall_Axe »

I know it would be pointless but...

Would anyone buy a thing that plugged into the back of the spectrum that had rom and ram, which had a full featured assembler and text editor?
(Nothing too crazy like including a scripting language, just simple macros maybe)
The code would be saved in the device (to SD card) so the spectrum would be able to crash and not lose any code.

I don't have the capacity to make such a thing but I just think it would be cool :D
You could make it so that it could be a word processor instead. (Completely pointless)
Or the additional storage could augment a drawing program.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Re: Spectrum interface to do programming?

Post by AndyC »

Honestly? I can't really see the point. Emulators have got to a point where they're extremely accurate and are much more capable in terms of being able to manipulate memory/registers etc or try out different models. By contrast any kind of development on a real machine is going to feel slow and cumbersome.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

If you already have a DivMMC then @markusr’s SpecASM will turn your Speccy into a very nice IDE.

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

You beat me to it @flatduckrecords! I was just trying to remember the name. There is a new version out which will support the Next and make compilation easier.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Oh I hadn’t heard about the Next version, that’s exciting (and timely!)
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

That's pretty cool, just wondering what happens if the spectrum crashes.
Do you just reset it and the code is saved on sd?
How long does it take to get back into the ide?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Wall_Axe wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:41 pm Just wondering what happens if the spectrum crashes.
As long as you have saved code on the SD Card before the crash then it's fine. Takes under 30 seconds to load the assembler.

Did you see my query as to one of your other questions here? Explain a bit more and we can answer.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

@Wall_Axe

Simple answer, no.

Back in the day, having an assembler and debugger in ROM with additional RAM to contain the source would have been useful.
Especially if combined with a floppy disk interface.

But now, it would be a very niche market indeed. And unless someone feels like putting in all the work needed, it’s just not going to happen.

Memotech did produce a ROM based assembler for the ZX81, (linky) but this did not include any RAM or any mass storage system. Of course the same company did also produce 16K, 32K and 64K RAM expansions…

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

There was also the Currah MicroSource @1024MAK.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... icroSource

I don't realise until today that this device offered Forth too!
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

That Currah source thing looks great.

I heard of their speech thing constantly throughout the 80's but never heard of that unfortunately!
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

I use a Spectranet for this kind of thing. With a little basic bootfile for the Speccy, a acript or two on the PC, and the ability to arbitrarily shoot data between the two, you can do pretty much anything.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:25 pm There was also the Currah MicroSource @1024MAK.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... icroSource

I don't realise until today that this device offered Forth too!
I used the µSource a few years back under emulation. (Fuse has support for it.) It’s pretty nifty, if a little cumbersome to use. In any case, I wish I had it back in the day.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:25 pm There was also the Currah MicroSource @1024MAK.
Yes, keep forgetting about that one. Maybe because there is less chat about it.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
markusr
Drutt

Post by markusr »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:48 pm You beat me to it @flatduckrecords! I was just trying to remember the name. There is a new version out which will support the Next and make compilation easier.
Actually, the new version is not released yet, but I am working on it. I've written the code to support the new Next opcodes but still need to do the actual port to the Next which I think will involve switching the binaries from tap and dotx files to dotn files (whatever they are), implementing a porting layer for the Next and redoing the keyboard calibration code. I'll give this a go next weekend, but won't be able to release anything until the Next arrives and I can give it all a good test. I'm looking forward to being able to link at 28Mhz!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Apologies @markusr,

I missed out the crucial word 'soon'!