How to get composite mod?

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

How to get composite mod?

Post by Wall_Axe »

The zxhd is about £92 and I have no experience and no soldering tools.
Does anyone do composite modding through the post?
dust hill resident
Dizzy

Re: How to get composite mod?

Post by dust hill resident »

Hello,

Looking up the ZXHD, if I understand right, the only soldering work that's required is to solder a male pin header onto the Rasberry Pi Zero?
I have some basic soldering skills, and Raspberry Pi zeros are fairly inexpensive, so I would be happy to attempt this for you.

I have successfully done the composite mod on my own Speccy 48k, but I'm not experienced enough that I'd trust my skills to do it successfully again on someone else's Spectrum...

dhr
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

For a composite video modification, Ian at Mutant Caterpillar will do it for you. But as this is a commercial service, you will have to pay the going rate.

His site is here.

Other repair/modification/upgrade services may be available from other companies.

Alternatively, you need a friendly person who will do it for you. Where in the universe are you?

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Or the other option is ZX VGAJoy interface very good 😊
http://zx-vga-joy.com/
Last edited by oO cozy Oo on Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be Safe! Be Happy! and have some Speccy FUN!!!
berarma
Microbot

Post by berarma »

This is not the best way but... https://markfixesstuff.co.uk/sinclair-s ... rum-scart/

I'd rather put an electrolytic capacitor instead of a cable but it will be hard to keep the contacts touching.

Can't you find someone in your area with a soldering iron? It's really easy, not much experience needed.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

1024MAK wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:31 pm For a composite video modification, Ian at Mutant Caterpillar will do it for you. But as this is a commercial service, you will have to pay the going rate.

His site is here.
Another vote here for Mutant Caterpillar. I sent my 48k and +2 to be modded and Ian did a cracking job.
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

Thanks for the offers, I found someone who said they would do composite mod and recapping for £30 retro passion