More 8x8 pixel fonts for your games

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
damieng
Dizzy

More 8x8 pixel fonts for your games

Post by damieng »

I'm once again doing an 8x8 bitmap font advent calendar this year over at Mastodon.

It will alternate days between a new 8x8 bitmap creation of my own with a licence to use in your games for free and the other days will include a converted/ripped font from a game/system of old to which I can't grant a licence as they're not mine but they look pretty. The ZIP files contain almost every format imaginable (Atari, C64, ZX, BBC, CPC, TRS-80, various assemblers, C header files, BDF, PSF, TTFs, WOFF and WOFF2)

There are also plenty of previous 8x8 fonts of mine over for free and the previous years advent calendars can be found for 2021 and 2022.

Day 1 - Manic (an original creation offered to Manic Person but couldn't fit in)
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Re: More 8x8 pixel fonts for your games

Post by Wall_Axe »

I downloaded a font for the game I'm making,it might be yours :D

Does your website have the ability to show free vs non free Fonts?
damieng
Dizzy

Post by damieng »

All my fonts are free (of charge).

Everything on the ZX Origins page I consider original or original enough to put in a game but I can't offer legal protection if somebody was to take offense given I don't charge.

Anything on the advent of font stuff that isn't my own creation is potentially at risk. Given that the US and UK don't allow copyrights on letter forms/typography and even big people have ripped fonts like Nexus 4 bootloader using the Spectrum ROM font, Apple using the Vic 20 font in the Lisa debugger and the proliferation of the Atari arcade font by practically everyone you might feel comfortable with that (or not).

Yours vaguely

Damien
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

Ok I saw one which is more fitting for the game I'm making so thanks
damieng
Dizzy

Post by damieng »

Wall_Axe wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:43 pm Ok I saw one which is more fitting for the game I'm making so thanks
Which one are you going to use?
Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

Great stuff!
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

damieng wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:44 pm I'm once again doing an 8x8 bitmap font advent calendar this year over at Mastodon.
Day 1 - Manic (an original creation offered to Manic Person but couldn't fit in)
Good news, everyone! This will be featuring in my crap game for WOOT!. I may as well, as (a) it looks appropriate for the setting and (b) I've run out of UDG space so I need to use a custom character set anyway, and the Extend-Mode-Symbol-Shift characters can be easily sacrificed. Maybe a few others as well if needed.

Bendy Bullies all round!
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

I honestly love you Damien! Your own beautiful fonts, and reproduction of classic fonts, are an incredible gift to the entire retro community. Pixel fonts forever! :xmas