New Game - The Ghosts of Blackwood Manor

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
PeterJ
Site Admin

New Game - The Ghosts of Blackwood Manor

Post by PeterJ »

https://8bitgames.itch.io/ghosts?fbclid ... qfEPfuntks

The Ghosts of Blackwood Manor is an award-winning interactive horror from Stefan Vogt, the acclaimed author of Hibernated and The Curse of Rabenstein.

Take on the role of novelist Thomas King and his wife Cora as they move into a remote Scottish manor house, just days before Christmas 1986. Seeking inspiration for his next book, Thomas begins to explore the history of Blackwood Manor, only to uncover a dark secret that dates back centuries to the days of the Great Scottish Witch Hunts.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: New Game - The Ghosts of Blackwood Manor

Post by R-Tape »

Cheers. Just bought it. Looks like another corker from Stefan.

PROCESSED
New ID created for Speccy, Next, Sam. DH 02/12/23
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

Seems it uses the Infocom Z virtual machine, it should be playable without CP/M, with the zxzvm, but not sure.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

+3code wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:05 pm Seems it uses the Infocom Z virtual machine, it should be playable without CP/M, with the zxzvm, but not sure.
All I know is that it took me a while to get it to work. The instructions make it clear what to do (load the CPM.dsk, then insert the speccy.dsk, type PLAY GAME), but I had several failed attempts due to emulator settings. I never got used to the +3 or disks BITD or since - it's probably time I did.
jamesh
Dizzy

Post by jamesh »

Nice to have a stand-alone Z5 file, because it's a bit cumbersome to play on Speccy with separate CP/M boot disk.

Perhaps, a silly question, but where do I get a working copy of ZXZVM? The ZXZVMV1.03.tap.zip from this site cannot open included files (returns to BASIC with "0 OK, 0:1" after loading something to the screen area). v1.12 from John's site either crashes on some files or shows a blank screen. The same files (including The Ghosts of Blackwood Manor) can be opened and played with ZX Spectrum Next's built-in interpreter.