What does ZX mean?

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

What does ZX mean?

Post by Mpk »

I imagine this has come up before, so apologies if I'm repeating a stupid question, but what is the significance of the ZX in ZX80, ZX81, ZX Spectrum ?

Is it just the 2 coolest letters?
Mad Fritz
Dizzy

Re: What does ZX mean?

Post by Mad Fritz »

https:/en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX80
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

Z80 as in Zilog’s CPU, with X added for the unknown eXciting factor. I read this on an ex-Sinclair Radionics and Science of Cambridge engineer’s history/reminiscence website the other day.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Cool, thanks. I can sleep tonight.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Given how cumbersome it is to have to type "ZX Spectrum" into search engines, I kind of wish the computer had simpler, snappier name. Something like Zextrum.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

But the “Spectrum” bit is there to tell you that it’s a multicolour computer…

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Then, Citröen took over the idea... :mrgreen:

Journeyman
Microbot

Post by Journeyman »

Lee Bee wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:28 pm Given how cumbersome it is to have to type "ZX Spectrum" into search engines, I kind of wish the computer had simpler, snappier name. Something like Zextrum.
People generally referred to it as the Spectrum without the ZX, of course, but often I'd hear people refer to it as the "Spectrum ZX", and it always filled me with rage whenever it happened.
Wrestling with useless old junk since 1974.
Vintage computers: ZX81, Spectrum +2, TRS-80 Model 100, Z88, Amstrad NC100
http://journeyman.online
8BitSC
Microbot

Post by 8BitSC »

Journeyman wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:34 pm People generally referred to it as the Spectrum without the ZX, of course, but often I'd hear people refer to it as the "Spectrum ZX", and it always filled me with rage whenever it happened.
We should all visit the Lemon64 forums and start posting questions about the 64 Commodore! :lol:
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Lee Bee wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:28 pm Given how cumbersome it is to have to type "ZX Spectrum" into search engines, I kind of wish the computer had simpler, snappier name. Something like Zextrum.
Sexdrum !
What time does the patent office open?
Journeyman wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:34 pm often I'd hear people refer to it as the "Spectrum ZX", and it always filled me with rage whenever it happened.
There's a guy on a podcast that constantly calls it 'The ZX' and it sets my teeth on edge.
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

Lee Bee wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:28 pm Given how cumbersome it is to have to type "ZX Spectrum" into search engines...
WHAAAT?! Heretic! Where are the torches!? Igor, come here whith the ropes!!
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

ZX Crumpets

Who knew crumpets is an anagram of spectrum.
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

Well, I think the problem usually is that if you use any simple, sensible name, you would not find it using any search engine until page 15 of the search results. Especially with older stuff.

Imagine your computer was called the Dragon, or the BBC, or Bing, or just Spectrum.

I guess the name is just unique enough now to be easily search for in a search engine.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

There was an intern working at Sinclair, kind of a work experience kind of deal, and Clive said to the guy "We need a name that gets us to the top in any list, you know like how Google chose a name that would appear at the start of an alphabetical list of websites" - but the poor sod didn't know anything about computers (because Clive had not done the deed yet), much less his student copy of MS Office, and got his sorting direction reversed.

hence, "ZX" appeared at the top of his sorted list of names in Word97 and the rest, as they say, is history.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

ZXDunny wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:53 pm
hence, "ZX" appeared at the top of his sorted list of names
Same thing happened to your parents, I believe.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

Journeyman wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:34 pm People generally referred to it as the Spectrum without the ZX, of course, but often I'd hear people refer to it as the "Spectrum ZX", and it always filled me with rage whenever it happened.
As an owner of a pair of Reliants, watch my eye twitch when people talk about "Robin Reliant" :roll:
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Jbizzel wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:20 pm ZX Crumpets

Who knew crumpets is an anagram of spectrum.
I remember a few years back on the WoS forums the surprise from a lot of users, me included, when told that the user "murtceps" is Spectrum spelt backwards.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Vampyre wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:42 am I remember a few years back on the WoS forums the surprise from a lot of users, me included, when told that the user "murtceps" is Spectrum spelt backwards.
I twigged quite early on this one, as Sorcerer's Castle (1983) was one of my guilty pleasures. The sorcerer is called Murtceps in that.

IIRC at one point on WoS a new user appeared with the username 'Spectrum' - everyone was astounded that after multiple years on the site and thousands of members, nobody had picked it :snowman
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

Also, did you know that Google ZX (yes, that's a real thing, use a search engine like DDG to search for it), was based on the ZX?
flange
Drutt

Post by flange »

Nitrowing wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:37 am As an owner of a pair of Reliants, watch my eye twitch when people talk about "Robin Reliant" :roll:
As a fellow tripod lover thank god it's not just me who thinks this, and don't get me started on lazy journalists who refer to Del boys van as a Robin Reliant.

It's a fecking Reliant Regal Supervan three! :lol:
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

Mpk wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:36 pm Sexdrum !
What time does the patent office open?

There's a guy on a podcast that constantly calls it 'The ZX' and it sets my teeth on edge.
Or when I'm delighted to see that an American electronics youtube channel has a new episode talking about the Spectrum, but then refer to it throughout as 'The Zee-Ex'. Oh that burns.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

flange wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:21 pm As a fellow tripod lover thank god it's not just me who thinks this, and don't get me started on lazy journalists who refer to Del boys van as a Robin Reliant.

It's a fecking Reliant Regal Supervan three! :lol:
Considering what I actually own are Kittens, yeah, my eye twitches :evil: