Best Spectrum model to get?

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Dan C
Drutt

Best Spectrum model to get?

Post by Dan C »

I wonder what you think is the best Spectrum model to get?
I was thinking on a +3, to be able to hook up a 3.5" PC floppydrive, but is a +3 backward 100% compatible with a Spectrum 48?
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Re: Best Spectrum model to get?

Post by worcestersource »

I’d love a 128k toast rack. I think it’s got the best design and the benefit of 128k. Alas, I don’t have one.
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

The +3 has a port for a 3.5 inch drive?

I'm just getting a rubber keyed one for nostalgia value.
Can't be bothered with 128k games ,I can just emulate them
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

grey +2 is the only correct answer.
Swainy
Manic Miner

Post by Swainy »

I’d say that the grey +2 is the one to go for. Most compatible, it’s basically the 128+ in an ugly grey case with a built in tape deck.
Mad Fritz
Dizzy

Post by Mad Fritz »

Wall_Axe wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:19 pm The +3 has a port for a 3.5 inch drive?
It has a Port for a disk drive. Could be 3, 3.5 or even 5.25 inch AFAIK.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Although I had a 48k model as a youngster, my pride and joy now is the Toastrack. However, although I don't like the Amstrad models (They aren't really Sinclair machines in my eyes - nothing against Lord Sugar), the +3 is the machine I use everyday. Excellent keyboard, and the option to add a Gotek. Much cheaper than the Toastrack too! Another benefit is no worries about having to replace membranes.

@Alessandro has many fixes for games when using the black +2 and +3.

https://www.alessandrogrussu.it/plus2A-en.html
Dan C
Drutt

Post by Dan C »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:45 pm the +3 is the machine I use everyday. Excellent keyboard, and the option to add a Gotek. Much cheaper than the Toastrack too! Another benefit is no worries about having to replace membranes.
Great! Is the +3 able to run Spectrum 48 games and software in your experience?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

@Dan C,

Please see the link in my above post. I edited the post, so it probably wasn't there when you replied.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Is the +3 able to run Spectrum 48 games and software in your experience?
the grey +2 is the most compatible computer. It has a great keyboard, and integrated tape make things easy.

+3 if you want a disk drive cos there cool - which they are.
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

The +3 is a great, robust and interesting machine. Not the greatest in terms of general compatibility though, and the sound quality on it is somewhat ropey.
You'll find patched versions of most popular incompatible games, if you'd want to.
I think, ultimately, it depends on what gives you the most nostalgia. All variations of the Speccy have their pros and cons, quirks and features.
Not sure I'd be keen on playing with different disk drives, might just end up being another layer of faff and incompatibility.
For nostalgia, I prefer original media (3" disks or tapes). For convenience / real use, you can't beat something like a Spectranet interface. Somewhere in the middle of these options you have things like the DivIDE interfaces.
I have a 48k rubber key and a +3 and love them both. Something like a grey +2 though may be the most practical compromise as an all rounder.
8BitSC
Microbot

Post by 8BitSC »

Back in the day, I went from a rubber-keyed 48k spectrum to a Grey +2, before moving on to 16 bits.

These are the models I have most nostalgia for and I own both now, but I wouldn’t part with my 128k toast-rack, which I never originally owned back then. (Though, I HAVE owned this for some 15 years or more).

I don’t remember any incompatibility with the Grey +2 in the 80s, though I definitely prefer the Grey Amstrad’s “proper” keyboard over the Sinclair Plus’s sharp Black LEGO-like corners and keys which stick and bind when pressed.

I don’t think I’d ever buy a Black Amstrad +2 but I’ve been eyeing up +3s on eBay just recently, if only to drop a Gotek into it.

Would that be classed as sacrilege?

Having built both 48k and 128k harlequin boards, I think they rank 2nd and 3rd behind the toast-rack in my list of favourites; if only for the fact they both worked flawlessly from the first power-on. There’s a lot of personal pride in getting things right first time with so much time and soldering involved.
zx64
Manic Miner

Post by zx64 »

Toastrack. If you can get it for a reasonable price.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

In case you haven’t noticed, there are as many opinions as there are Speccy models.

In terms of compatibility, only a 48K/+ is fully 100% compatible with a 48K/+

Unless you try running a game designed for an issue one (16K or 48K with the internal upgrade) or issue two board where the programmer is relying on the state of the ULA port. Sinclair changed it for all later versions…

Having said that, the 128K machines included the Amstrad models are not far off being compatible with vast numbers of games.

Of the Amstrad models, the +2 grey is the most compatible, as it’s a repackaged 128 Toastrack.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Knobby
Drutt

Post by Knobby »

The rubber keyed original still looks like a fantastic bit of design to me, much better than the plus and the toastrack, which haven't aged so well. The Amstrad ones look too big to me nowadays, though I quite fancy modding one by chopping off the tape player, though that does feel a bit sacrilegious with old hardware.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Knobby wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:51 pmThe Amstrad ones look too big to me nowadays, though I quite fancy modding one by chopping off the tape player, though that does feel a bit sacrilegious with old hardware.
Some have already done this, there be photos on the internet somewhere…

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
8BitSC
Microbot

Post by 8BitSC »

1024MAK wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:42 pm Some have already done this, there be photos on the internet somewhere…
You mean this? http://oldmachinery.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... -mini.html
Dan C
Drutt

Post by Dan C »

8BitSC wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:14 pm You mean this? http://oldmachinery.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... -mini.html
That looks real cool!! I guess you can fix separate MIC and EAR connections when you remove the tapedeck?
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

It already has an audio out socket, equivalent to MIC. If you want to add an EAR socket for input from tape you'll need to replicate a bit of the input circuitry from the toastrack. You can't simply plug in to the ear pin in the header where the tape player connects.

Also note that the end result isn't as neatly symmetrical as that first picture; you still need a bit more room on the right for the heatsink, after bending it around the last screw pillar. This doesn't work with a black +2A as the motherboard in those extends right under the tape deck.

If you really want to go all-out, you can disconnect the joystick ports then re-wire them back to standard. But it's a fiddly job; I haven't attempted it on mine yet.
Dan C
Drutt

Post by Dan C »

I got exited to do the same operation on a +3!
Modify the case to get rid of the 3" floppy.
And then use an external 3.5" PC floppy or Gotek drive.
Last edited by Dan C on Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

@Dan C,

I use an external Gotek, and configure that to drive A.

viewtopic.php?p=124112#p124112

Do read the warning from Guesser a few posts below mine.
Dan C
Drutt

Post by Dan C »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:41 pm @Dan C,

I use an external Gotek, and configure that to drive A.

viewtopic.php?p=124112#p124112

Do read the warning from Guesser a few posts below mine.
Great! Then you really don't need the 3" drive.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Correct @Dan C,

I tried fitting an internal Gotek but didn't really like how it looked. The internal drive is still there, but I don't use it
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Before you get too carried away, look carefully at these photos of the rear of a ZX Spectrum +2 (grey), a ZX Spectrum +2B and a ZX Spectrum +3.

Notice where the printer and disk B drive edge-connectors are. Both these are part of the main PCB…

Mark
“There are four lights!”
zx64
Manic Miner

Post by zx64 »

8BitSC wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:14 pm You mean this? http://oldmachinery.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... -mini.html
LOL