How I find [CENSORED] game

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Re: How I find [CENSORED] game

Post by Nitrowing »

This is a subject that really does light my touch paper - I am vehemently against censorship.
I fully understand and respect that this is a privately run website and that, as a hobby, it shouldn't put anyone's professional reputation at risk.
Deleting facts is not productive. Include the titles and information with a statement highlighting why the code is not shared [homophobic] or [nudity].

Personally, I find murder far more offensive than nudity. Seeing people's heads come off is natural but a naked body isn't?? What sort of twisted society believes that? I can't even play the GTA series as it twists my mind that being a criminal is lauded, when IRL I'd have these characters behind bars and would much prefer to play a copper in these games to lock them up.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

While I am too against censorship, I wouldn't go as far as to say there should be absolutely no limits whatsoever. People who insist on free speech absolutism have never understood the paradox of tolerance. (You can see how harmful it is now that a certain social media channel is in the hands of such a lunatic and it's plunging into the abyss.)

I think if you really do nail your colours to that mast, the best thing you can do is to host all the material yourself. Go on, take on that responsibility. Be a magnet for the legal consequences, the costs, the potential damage to your personal reputation.

Yes, I'd like Spectrum Computing to not censor too much, but I always have to acknowledge that I'm not the one in the firing line when something on here causes trouble.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

If anyone's really considering to host a new site, I strongly recommend the ZXInfo API.

This way, your site won't even need a database. You will simply need to render the data you obtain from the API, using page caching. You won't even need to worry about ZXDB updates, since the API will handle them for you.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

PeteProdge wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:45 am While I am too against censorship, I wouldn't go as far as to say there should be absolutely no limits whatsoever. People who insist on free speech absolutism have never understood the paradox of tolerance. (You can see how harmful it is now that a certain social media channel is in the hands of such a lunatic and it's plunging into the abyss.)
People throw out this "paradox of tolerance" like it's some sort of universal objective law (around here, maybe a logic gate like XOR). But it's a subjective thing: if you are going to reject the "intolerant", then you have to decide what "intolerant" means. This can be abused.
kolbeck
Manic Miner

Post by kolbeck »

PeteProdge wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:41 am I couldn't find a way for zxinfo.dk to show those 261 titles, the interface doesn't seem to have 'adult' listed. I did type the name of a game I know for sure to be highly explicit, and saw [adult] in the filename. Searching for that in the general search only brings up two games.
ZXInfo does not mark these specific with 'adult', but might be marked as such in the future - but as other has stated, the titles are searchable on the page, for example:

https://api.zxinfo.dk/v3/ - ZXDB API for developers
zxinfo-file-browser - Cross platform app to manage your files
https://zxinfo.dk - another ZXDB frontend
kolbeck
Manic Miner

Post by kolbeck »

With the latest update of ZXDB to ZXInfo - I've implemented X-RATED marking in the API and on the website.

On the search overview and detail page, the "image" got a nice red ribbon, in case the title is marked x-rated. There is currently no way to get only x-rated from the search, maybe that will be in the next update.

https://api.zxinfo.dk/v3/ - ZXDB API for developers
zxinfo-file-browser - Cross platform app to manage your files
https://zxinfo.dk - another ZXDB frontend
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

I arrive late in the discussion, but here are my 2 cents: I remember that once on WoS for fun I wanted to try out a few x-rated games in the adult categories and the first one was a nazi camp simulator. I was utterly shocked that someone could be so evil to develop such a horrible thing and I even thought that the game shouldn't be preserved and the authors prosecuted.
With time I changed my idea. Now I think that the game should be preserved, like we preserve nazi or fascist propaganda as historical evidence, but somehow in a different way. Like a content warning or a check on identity. Clearly having this title freely accessible in the database is a primed bomb.