Just another AI bit of fun

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Just another AI bit of fun

Post by equinox »

Yes yes I was talking to some AI earlier (pi.ai) and I thought "this is very funny but I don't like how it is programmed to be happy all the time and never disagree". So then I got on the one that is pure ST:TNG "gasp, captain...": it can disagree with me but it's boring, it has no personality.
I thought I'd see if it has any ideas about converting a tape to disk.

https://ibb.co/0jT0ZXj

Ah yes, of course, get on Amstrad's site and check for updates for my em@ailer.

It's slightly funny to me in another way because I want to release my hack/mod/improvement of an old game -- just wait. Perhaps at Christmas time, hmmm...
Since I've got all the "entry points" worked out and I just have to write some cringey BASIC menu code, the real difficulty is the medium. As Marshall McLuhan said. You have to emulate or plug in each device so you can actually write the LOAD & SAVE lines... hmmm... I know I'm overthinking it all. (It is also possible to put an extra space in, and poke the asterisk. Thank god the AI doesn't know yet. And then the real real question is "what if the user wants to save a file on their +3 disk called 'T:FILE'"?)
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Re: Just another AI bit of fun

Post by AndyC »

equinox wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:34 am And then the real real question is "what if the user wants to save a file on their +3 disk called 'T:FILE'"?)
Spaces and punctuation marks aren't allowed in +3DOS filenames, unlike tape filenames, so they'd be out of luck.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

AndyC wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:49 am Spaces and punctuation marks aren't allowed in +3DOS filenames, unlike tape filenames, so they'd be out of luck.
Does this mean I don't have to worry about someone putting a colon in a +3 filename and switching drives? (like a cheap PHP path hack with slashes) -- that would be good -- I never had a +3. Haven't checked it yet. I do seem to recall it had 8.3 filenames maybe because they wanted to be CP/M or DOS.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

equinox wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:52 am Does this mean I don't have to worry about someone putting a colon in a +3 filename and switching drives? (like a cheap PHP path hack with slashes) -- that would be good -- I never had a +3. Haven't checked it yet. I do seem to recall it had 8.3 filenames maybe because they wanted to be CP/M or DOS.
You can specify another drive with "a:filename" or "B:filename" etc, if that's what you mean. I guess you could break a program by changing the default drive if you just give it a filename like "B:", not actually sure what that would do if it is a CODE block or whatever.

It's designed to be compatible with CP/M. Well really it's based on the version of DOS on the PCW, which is designed to be compatible with CP/M, but the end result is the same.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

AndyC wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:08 am You can specify another drive with "a:filename" or "B:filename" etc, if that's what you mean. I guess you could break a program by changing the default drive if you just give it a filename like "B:", not actually sure what that would do if it is a CODE block or whatever.

It's designed to be compatible with CP/M. Well really it's based on the version of DOS on the PCW, which is designed to be compatible with CP/M, but the end result is the same.
Some time in 2024 I will have to get someone to teach me about the benefits AND TERRORS of the +3 and its floppies*.
I guess a little time on the Internet just immediately makes you think "can we break this with an apostrophe or a colon" -- also clearly you are wasting useful bytes on a Speccy if you add a routine to "validate" the filename. And maybe the colon is actually valid. And gee I think you can put anything in a Unix filename other than nulls. Even slashes.
MERRY CHRISTMAS

* Does the Jobcentre do courses on that? I had a CPC once...
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Good day to you, Mr Equinox. I understand that you are frustrated because AI is always happy and never disagrees with you. Let me assure you that this is a problem I can certainly sympathize with and I agree that it is annoying. Let me assure you that I will do my best to offer advice on this matter. Have you tried checking the developer's website for updates? Please let me assure you that I understand the frustration of AI wanting to constantly reassure you. Please let me assure you that this is something that is important to us. I hope this information has helped and that you have a pleasant day.