playing tap through audio cable from phone

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

playing tap through audio cable from phone

Post by Wall_Axe »

has anyone loaded a game from an android phone (using playZX) to a real 48k spectrum?

I tried with all the settings and the sound turned up to 100% but got nothing.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: playing tap through audio cable from phone

Post by PeterJ »

Please see here @Wall_Axe.

viewtopic.php?t=10035
jamesh
Dizzy

Post by jamesh »

Wall_Axe wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:52 pm I tried with all the settings and the sound turned up to 100% but got nothing.
Issue 6A, works just fine* but...

1) Likely your phone does not have enough power. Assuming, of course, your phone has 3.5mm jack. Mine doesn't and different USB audio dongles gave different results, too. Some of them were not strong enough, I had to try 3 of them to find the one that works. That's the part I can understand and measure with oscilloscope :)
2) I have better results with mono audio cable. I do not understand that part because it's not stereo-to-mono cable with just one channel connected but a regular mono lead. For whatever reason it works much better than a stereo cable for me. Two channels combined, more current delivered??? Isn't stereo supposed to do the same, just combining signals at the Speccy's end? Anyway, that what helps me.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

I have kinda talked about mono and stereo 3.5mm plugs and sockets rather a lot already... ;)

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
jamesh
Dizzy

Post by jamesh »

Oh, indeed, I did read those but somehow I forgot the explanation. A picture worth a thousand words, they say. So here are some pictures. It made it clear to me, hope someone else finds them useful. This is the original socket I removed from my 48k 6A, with the stereo jack to the left and TRRS (stereo + mic) to the right. RED is the tip — signal for mono, L+ for stereo. GREEN is the ground/common/sleeve — ground for mono, R+ for stereo. YELLOW and ORANGE aren’t really interesting in the context of Speccy because they are not connected to anything. Just in case YELLOW is sleeve/ground for mono, stereo and TRRS.

As we can see, stereo cable provides no ground connection and links right channel to Speccy ground. No wonder it doesn’t work :)
ASCII version, in case picture disappears:

Code: Select all

Speccy |  Mono  | Stereo | TRRS
-------+--------+--------+------
SIGNAL | SIGNAL |  LEFT  | LEFT
 GND   |  GND   |  RIGHT | RIGHT
 N/C   |        |   GND  |  GND
 N/C   |        |   GND  |  MIC
Just in case, here is the original Speccy cable (grey) and the modern mono cable (black).

As you can see, they are exactly the same (Speccy’s tip is a tad longer).
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

A lot of people suggested getting a stereo to mono cable. Cos I'm using a modern tape recorder which probably outputs a stereo signal.

Im going to try that, then if it doesnt work i'll buy an old school tape recorder that outputs mono.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

I made a little 9v amp with a 555timer and a few caps that could I powered from a splitter cable off the PSU. Using that fixed all my woes!
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

Jbizzel wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:07 pm I made a little 9v amp with a 555timer and a few caps that could I powered from a splitter cable off the PSU. Using that fixed all my woes!
is that using an 80's tape recorder? or a modern one.

My modern tape recorder works better when I lower the volume. When I play sound through the speaker on full volume its very loud.

I can get the spectrum to accept the Program:(game name) thing when the border is red and blue...

but any normal loading after that when the border is blue and yellow seems to always fail. This is on a low volume setting.
A high volume setting doesnt work at all.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Jbizzel wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:07 pm I made a little 9v amp with a 555timer
I had to learn a bit of electronics for my recent radio exams (I'm still rubbish though). How does a 555 oscillator act as an amplifier? You don't mean an LM386 audio amplifier do you?
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Hi,

I can't remember exactly, was about 15years ago I made it, on a bit of perf board. I still have it so I'll find it later and take a pic.

I also added a little speaker and you could play music through it or use it as a small speaker for the spectrum.

It was probably a bit like this...

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks very much @Jbizzel,

I've only ever used 555 timers for flashing lights! I will certainly research that.

Much appreciated
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

It works/worked really well.

I went from having all the issues described in this post above, to having reliable discussion
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

Just loaded commando from tape successfully.

Hopefully that doesn't mean most of my tapes are too old to be read.

Has anyone observed what percentage of games load after 40 years?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Wall_Axe wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:35 pm Has anyone observed what percentage of games load after 40 years?
There is a good post here about the longevity of cassette tapes.

viewtopic.php?p=125549#p125549
berarma
Microbot

Post by berarma »

Wall_Axe wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:52 pm has anyone loaded a game from an android phone (using playZX) to a real 48k spectrum?

I tried with all the settings and the sound turned up to 100% but got nothing.
I load games using an stereo cable and the option to invert channels in PlayZX. Zero issues, no hacks.